Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MD Front License Plate Change in Law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with an after-market bracket from Skene Design that allows you to mount the plate under the nose cone. The upside of having a plate on the front is having a place to mount an external toll reader. I almost don't notice it now but it's nice to know that I could go without now.

Hmm, it had a first reading and then the hearing scheduled for 2/19 was cancelled on 2/15. Then it says hearing on 2/19, but...the actual date columns are empty. The PDF is just the proposed bill, methinks; the October date was just the original proposed date for it to take effect IF enacted. I don't believe this went anywhere, based on the General Assembly link digitaltim provided.

Hmm, it had a first reading and then the hearing scheduled for 2/19 was cancelled on 2/15. Then it says hearing on 2/19, but...the actual date columns are empty. The PDF is just the proposed bill, methinks; the October date was just the original proposed date for it to take effect IF enacted. I don't believe this went anywhere, based on the General Assembly link digitaltim provided.

Agreed - I have somebody looking into it...

Also, make sure "means" means what you think it means.

WA state has a similar provision, but if the auto manufacturer offers any mounting bracket at all, even if doesn't come on the car from the factory and even if it requires drilling into the front of the car to attach it, then you're out of luck and legally have to mount the front plate. Only in cases where the manufacturer doesn't offer a mounting bracket of any sort can you fall under the "no means" provision and be exempt from the front plate.

WA state has a similar provision, but if the auto manufacturer offers any mounting bracket at all, even if doesn't come on the car from the factory and even if it requires drilling into the front of the car to attach it, then you're out of luck and legally have to mount the front plate. Only in cases where the manufacturer doesn't offer a mounting bracket of any sort can you fall under the "no means" provision and be exempt from the front plate.

Maybe we can petition Tesla to make the front mount an option

I wondered about this as well, but then I wondered whether there's really a carmaker who doesn't offer any sort of mounting bracket.

I wondered about this as well, but then I wondered whether there's really a carmaker who doesn't offer any sort of mounting bracket.

Now days, not so much. Maybe on a super exotic like a Zonda or Enzo, or a specialty like an Atom. Where this comes into play most often is on classics, like 60's and 70's Jags and Ferraris.

In our case, since Tesla offers a license plate bracket, even as an option, we're SOL and (technically) have to mount a front plate.

Maryland Bill to Require a Single License Plate to be Considered on Feb. 5, 2015

Time to revive this thread because a bill (H.B. 61) that would require issuance of only a rear plate will be considered in the Maryland legislature on Feb. 5, 2015.

Find complete info on how to voice your support at this link.

Maryland Bills to Provide for Single License Plate to be Considered on Feb. 5, 2015

Legislation (H.B. 61) has been reintroduced in the Maryland House of Delegates to require the issuance of only a single license plate for all motor vehicles. A second bill (H.B. 62) provides that historic vehicles and street rods may display only the rear plate if the front plate is stored inside the vehicle. Both bills will be considered by the House Environment and Transportation Committee on Thursday, February 5, 2015.

Lanny

I am assuming that it didn't pass in 2015 again. It seems that some toll booths take pics of front plates, hence possible strong resistance to it ever passing.

In any case I just got a warning today 4/23/15 for no front plate in MD, so it must not have passed. So I just ordered "The Law" Autopilot edition. It should work. I considered using 3M automotive tape, but... don't want to face the possibility of tape coming unstuck. I also considered magneplate, which seems cool, but it would seem that suction cups could eventually fail, and I prefer a "no fail" approach... might consider a frame like "flexyframe" to help protect against any possible bumps from the front... will try "The Law" (from Torklift Central) and see how it is with no frame. I saw that someone put a "furniture pad" felt dot on the back of his plate to protect, but that too is adhesive based and might fail over time... anyway, hopefully The Law Autopilot edition will work.

Then if they *do* change the Maryland law, I can just remove the plate and no-drill bracket ;) :).

Time to revive this thread because a bill (H.B. 61) that would require issuance of only a rear plate will be considered in the Maryland legislature on Feb. 5, 2015.

Find complete info on how to voice your support at this link.

Maryland Bills to Provide for Single License Plate to be Considered on Feb. 5, 2015

Legislation (H.B. 61) has been reintroduced in the Maryland House of Delegates to require the issuance of only a single license plate for all motor vehicles. A second bill (H.B. 62) provides that historic vehicles and street rods may display only the rear plate if the front plate is stored inside the vehicle. Both bills will be considered by the House Environment and Transportation Committee on Thursday, February 5, 2015.

Lanny

BUMP...
Maryland switches to single plate state on October 1, 2018. Check out Senate Bill 0012
GAM-SB0012 Summary 2018 Regular Session

Does anyone have a different interpretation? I just removed my temporary tag on the rear and installed the MD Tag. Will hold off on the front for the month.

I do have a different interpretation. The status is “Unfavorable Report by Judicial Proceedings”.

This means it DID NOT pass.

Reactions: Lanny