Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced charging current after FW upgrade V5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This reduced charging current of 26A is a unwanted feature - is there a possibility to downgrade to the previous version? The prospected 20kW charging power is now down to 18kW and no longer matching the rated charging power.

Eberhard

I spoke to the technical team in Tesla UK (Spain is supported from London) and they said it has been reduced temporarily but an upcoming firmware release will restore the charge current previously seen. It may have been to check some part of the charge system.

I spoke to the technical team in Tesla UK (Spain is supported from London) and they said it has been reduced temporarily but an upcoming firmware release will restore the charge current previously seen. It may have been to check some part of the charge system.
I understand the reason, but there was no communication about this at all. Nothing in the release notes.

I'm going on a trip this weekend and I'll be visiting a 3x32A charging station to top up, now I have to wait a bit longer, not a real problem to wait another 20 minutes, but I'd rather spend it driving.

Same problem here but with a single charger, getting only 13A instead of 16A, grrrrrr....
Will call the technical assistance today to get some news about the next software upgrade. I need to travel to France this weekend. It is challenging enough with a single charger...

So here's the explanation we got.

There is a problem with some charge point that might actually deliver more than the rate power and could damage the onbaord charger. So as a preventive measure, Tesla decided to reduce the charging power until they manage to fix that issue in a new firmware upgrade.

They said a few weeks, but you in Tesla language that can easily mean a month or 2.

So here's the explanation we got.

There is a problem with some charge point that might actually deliver more than the rate power and could damage the onbaord charger. So as a preventive measure, Tesla decided to reduce the charging power until they manage to fix that issue in a new firmware upgrade.

They said a few weeks, but you in Tesla language that can easily mean a month or 2.
Kind of pisses me off that there was 0 communication about this, not by e-mail or even in the release notes. We simply had to find out AFTER we installed the firmware.

I'm OK with that fact that they limited it because they found a bug, but please tell me about it.

With a single-charger I'd be more angry since you are limited to 13A.

Kind of pisses me off that there was 0 communication about this, not by e-mail or even in the release notes. We simply had to find out AFTER we installed the firmware.

I'm OK with that fact that they limited it because they found a bug, but please tell me about it.

With a single-charger I'd be more angry since you are limited to 13A.
+1! That is what Release Notes are for. Not just to deliver "good news", but also the, well, not-so-good.

As Murphy's Law would dictate, I had my home charger installed just two days after the upgrade. I got in a fit with the guy who installed it after seeing it would only charge at 3x13A. As I had routinely charged 3x16A on public chargers, I blamed it on his installation, and refused to sign off on the work. Imagine my red face when some calls later he came back with a smirk, telling me Tesla confirmed it was their firmware causing this. I _had_ read the release notes front to back, and should have been spared this humiliating experience.

I contacted the European service desk ([email protected]) and they told me that they are working on a fix. It won't be solved very soon from what I could tell from his e-mail.

My educated guess is that it will take 3 ~ 6 months before it's resolved.

Strange, my service rep told me yesterday when I dropped off my car that it would be fixed in 5.8 which is imminent. I will raise hell if what you say is true. Globally speaking, hardly anyone is on 5.6, and now that this issue is known, many will choose not to upgrade anyway. As I upgraded before this issue was known or communicated, I will demand they put me back on 5.0.

Hi from Germany,

I recently installed 5.6 (1.45.45) - it didn't solve the 26 A issue - and the Hamburg sech/service/guy/manager/whatever/title/they/invent that I have been in contact with because of other defects that need to be addressed was surprsed that this update didn't solve the issue.

On Monday, Nov. 18th I have an appointment at the Stuttgart service center and I only hope they can fix the 26 A problem then (alon with the wind noise from pano roof, creaking/squeking noises from armrests and seatbelts, loose interior carpeting and loose seals in doors and - well - the grinding noise problem of the motor).

Acording to German consumer protection laws the legally mandatory guaruantee of 2 years on everything sold (Gewährleistung) doesn't allow to take away a feature that was advertised, sold and paid for (dual charger with 32 A charging power). So, legally buyers have a right to get the working state restored and they can even set a deadline for that.

After the deadline legal procedures begin, leading to the seller having to repair/restore said features, give a price reduction or ultimately take back the sold goods and pay back the money. I made Tesla aware of that after waiting for weeks after giving notice of abovementioned defects and suddenly I got an appointment... :wink:

Cheers

Frank

This sounds less like a bug and more deliberate. If considered a bug, please add it to the Bug Tracker Wiki.

Maybe you'll get a fix in v5.8? First report of a European OTA download is here.
Nope :(

I'm on 5.8 (1.49.24) and I'm still limited to 3x26A instead of 3x32A.

What I did notice is that when not plugged in you can now set the charge limit to 80A instead of 96A.

The 80A is the single-phase capability of the European Model S, so that's a slight change but doesn't change anything for us.

So with 5.8 you are still limited to 17.9kW charging instead of 22kW.

Nope :(

I'm on 5.8 (1.49.24) and I'm still limited to 3x26A instead of 3x32A.

What I did notice is that when not plugged in you can now set the charge limit to 80A instead of 96A.

The 80A is the single-phase capability of the European Model S, so that's a slight change but doesn't change anything for us.

So with 5.8 you are still limited to 17.9kW charging instead of 22kW.
Same here. On 5.8 since last evening and still limited. I am going to count to the proverbial 10 and then contact Tesla by phone. I sent an email on this subject last week which they completely ignored. Second time that happened, btw, I think the euservice mail account is tied to a waste bin and no one actually reads that.