Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email notification all messed up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
With the recent high volume posts we've had, specifically the Fire thread and Short Term Stock Price thread, my new post email notifications seem to be extremely delayed, and then flood my email with old notifications. At the height of it I had over 80 email notifications, mostly to those two threads. I'm still getting day old notifications showing up and I just switched those threads from "email notification" to "through control panel only" to see if that will stop it. "Instant" email notification has always been messed up and delayed with this newer forum software, but this is now becoming ridiculous. Any hope for a fix? I have brought up a related issue previously: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...one-quot/page3?p=231580&viewfull=1#post231580

It's been dodgy for me for ages. I wasn't sure if it was due to my number of subscribed threads (a couple of hundred, but most are dormant). Either way, I only seem to get about 20% of the notifications! and always delayed. PM notifications are generally quick though.

Maybe the site owners set it up to only send out notices when the server is not busy or at certain times of the day. I'm guessing this site gets a lot more traffic than they originally planned for, and their original servers may be reaching the limits of their capabilities.

That's what I was afraid of. This has gotten pretty bad, the forum is becoming unusable for me since I no longer have a way to go to the most recent post since my last visit and I'm involved in so many threads. Is there another way to do that?

i have the same problem
getting warned 100's of times about "new reply" is a bit tooooooooo much
time till i visit the thread again would be ample

strangely i also never get sent right behind the last message i read If i visit a week or two later (or even later)
it is as if the site and visitor statistics gets reset every week-2 weeks

That's what I was afraid of. This has gotten pretty bad, the forum is becoming unusable for me since I no longer have a way to go to the most recent post since my last visit and I'm involved in so many threads. Is there another way to do that?
I set all my subscribed threads to "None" for notification. I just go to "Notification", "Inbox"' then under "My Subscriptions" select Subscriptions. It shows threads with recent, unread posts at the top and in bold. I have this subscription page saved as my favorite so it launches right into this view.

I have to deal with 100's of incoming emails daily at work, the last thing I want is a ton in my personal inbox.

You can also get to it from "Quick Links" then "Subscribed Threads", which is what I'm doing now, but I do prefer email notification, if it's working properly. It should only be a single email that links to the first new post after your last visit, and no other notification until you visit that thread again. Works fine with all the other forums I'm on, but I guess it's a flaw in this software package.

You can also get to it from "Quick Links" then "Subscribed Threads", which is what I'm doing now, but I do prefer email notification, if it's working properly. It should only be a single email that links to the first new post after your last visit, and no other notification until you visit that thread again. Works fine with all the other forums I'm on, but I guess it's a flaw in this software package.

I would actually prefer to get every new post, not just some, in email.

I figured there was a better way to get there!

Clearly we don't all have the same preferences, which is why there are options. I can understand it's annoying when they aren't working as designed. Has anyone submitted site feedback thru Contact Us?

Good tip, bookmark added!

You can just click on Settings and that will give you all the subscribed threads that have new posts.

Looking into the emails, turns out that we've had a huge backlog. Basically there is a queue, and emails are sent out in batches at a set interval (say about every 10 minutes). This prevents the load of tons of emails being sent out at once when, for example, someone replies to a thread with a lot of subscriptions. The size of that batch used to be large enough. However, with recent activity, the queue was growing faster than it was being emptied.

Anyhow, I've increased the batch size and we should be able to work through the backlog within the next couple hours.

Looking into the emails, turns out that we've had a huge backlog. Basically there is a queue, and emails are sent out in batches at a set interval (say about every 10 minutes). This prevents the load of tons of emails being sent out at once when, for example, someone replies to a thread with a lot of subscriptions.

I think the delay interval is part of the problem. If I visit a thread within the delay period I'll be getting the email that was in the queue and then another one if there is a post soon after my last visit. This keeps repeating in busy threads and piles up. At least that's what it seems. Also, I should only get a notice about the first new post after my last visit, not every new post since my last visit.

I think the delay interval is part of the problem. If I visit a thread within the delay period I'll be getting the email that was in the queue and then another one if there is a post soon after my last visit. This keeps repeating in busy threads and piles up. At least that's what it seems.
Assuming there's no backlog (i.e., the queue is smaller than the batch size), "instant" notifications should come within 10 minutes. Again, you can just click on Settings and that will give your subscribed threads that have new posts.

Also, I should only get a notice about the first new post after my last visit, not every new post since my last visit.
This is how it's supposed to work. There's an update coming out soon. Hopefully that will fix any inconsistency in the behavior.

I finally realized the blue box with the white down arrow to the left of a thread title in my Subscriptions will take me to the first new post since my last visit. Also email notifications seem to be working better. Thanks for the efforts.

Click the arrows to the left of each thread title