Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pricey but this just opened up I-40 - Flagstaff

Definitely not cheap... But this will help when you are traveling off the supercharger enabled main highways. And when you are at your destination.
And it increases the incentive for people to put in CHAdeMO chargers!
70 miles/h is not supercharging but it's much better than AC charging for those of us with just a single charger. And cheaper than a second charger, too!
I'll definitely try to pre-order mine.

Agreed not cheap, but much less than I had anticipated. Great for us in the NW. And, if the depiction is actual, a neat package.

Edit: On second thought, those CAHdeMO nozzles and cables are not exactly light weight - looks like a lot of weight hanging on the charge port. Perhaps something like the Roadster adapter, where the heavy nozzle and cable lay on the ground.

Last edited:
Whoa! Sticker shock for sure. 70 mph isn't great either - I would have expected better. I'm happy with superchargers.

Something is not adding up...

From Shop Tesla Gear CHAdeMO Adapter:
Take advantage of CHAdeMO’s network of 50 kW charging stations by enabling onboard hardware and purchasing an external adapter. CHAdeMO stations charge at the rate of approximately 70 miles of range per hour of charge with locations primarily in the Pacific Northwest.​

A 10kW 14-50 gives you 28 mph charging, and a 20kW HPWC provides 56 mph charging. Scaling from that, 50kW should provide 140 mph charging. Is this adapter throttled to 70 mph or 25kW? If so, was that done as a cost savings measure, as a marketing decision, or both?

Now we Europeans just need a Frankenplug-Adapter! The Frankenplug adapter should be an easy job, compared to CHAdeMO Adapter?!
Bye the way, I like how Tesla integrated Type 2 into our Teslas. I like I can use Type 2 Charging Stations and will be able to to fastcharging via Type 2. Nice job charging-team @ Tesla.

Interesting... But pricing looks more favorable for new buyers:

Shop Tesla Gear said:
Adapter
For Model S with Supercharging enabled
Available online this winter
$1,000

Adapter + Onboard Hardware Activation
For Model S without Supercharging enabled

To order before your Model S delivery, email [email protected].
$2,400

After Model S delivery
Available online this winter
$2,900

So its $1k for existing owners that have Supercharging enabled.

But existing 60s that don't have Supercharger enabled pay only $400 in addition to enabling Supercharging. And if you haven't taken delivery, looks like you can add this for $400 if you enable SC too...

But existing 60s that don't have Supercharger enabled pay only $400 in addition to enabling Supercharging. And if you haven't taken delivery, looks like you can add this for $400 if you enable SC too...

[/COLOR]

Right. Was wondering that. For those without supercharging enabled, does an adapter purchase actually enable Supercharging or just the "hardware features" required for CHAdeMO

Guys, the CHAdeMO standard is currently 500 volts * 125 amps = 62.5kW, and that's not 70 miles per hour!! But, Tesla may have de-rated this adapter to something far lower... we'll know soon.

Since the Tesla products are slightly under 400 volts, the max charge rate from CHAdeMO will be 125 * 400 = 50kW.

At 95% efficiency, let's say 47.5kW, ok? That is 142.5 miles per hour with 3 miles per kWh / 333 watts per mile driving efficiency. Just like the Supercharger, as you get to the top half of the battery charge, the charge rate will start to come down, but I don't image that will happen until about 80% SOC.

Of course, not every CHAdeMO installation is rated for 62.5kW !!!

All of the Nissan branded Sumitomo units are only 44kW. The Fuji units, like the one in San Juan Capistrano, California is only 25kW.

In the future, when CHAdeMO is opened up to 200 amps, you can expect 200 * 400 = 80kW * 95% = 76kW, or about 228 miles per hour charging!!!

I'm fairly confident Tesla looked at the "general pattern of chargers currently available" and picked the 25kW cases (such as the Fuji units apparently) and probably drew some number from that.

I highly doubt they've added additional limiting, so I'm not concerned just yet. :)

And, yes, I've already sent mail asking Tesla to start a pre-order list.

Interesting. Not the design I was told to expect a while back.

chademo-northamerica1_1024x1024.jpg

chademo-northamerica2_1024x1024.jpg