Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm living proof the Model S is the safest car ever made!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I was in a terrible car accident with my beloved Model S. I was hit by a driver who was talking on her cell phone and blew a red light. I got slammed at full speed while passing through an intersection. I was luck enough to walk away with no broken bones while the person who hit me left in an ambulance. I can tell you with absolute certainty, my model S protected me where other cars would have failed. This recent story of the car being unsafe due to a battery fire is ridiculous. My car did not so much as smoke, and not a drop of liquid was released. This is the safest car on the road hands down, and for me, I can say honestly say it saved my life. Thank you Elon..

IMG_4082.JPG

Tesla Tire.JPG

Side View.jpg

I hope you are ok! Thank you very much for sharing your story and the pictures! It seems to me that the frunk worked as an extra-large crumple zone and absorbed a lot of energy to the benefit of the driver. You dont get that with an ICE.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for posting (with pictures!).
Glad you're ok.
Please let us know (For Sale sub-section) if you have a salvage opportunity (like GasDoc did) because there has been a lot of interest in such things on TMC.
Now that that's out of the way... ;)

What's next for you? Has your insurance or Tesla commented on whether the car can be repaired or have they talked about replacements? I'm very curious. Thanks. :)

First--glad you are okay!

Second--thank you for posting. Where is the ball of fire and explosion? I just love that it not only saved your life, but shows that it IS the safest car in America.

Third--The media and press can kiss my a**. Step up and make a big deal about the S saving a life--ohh, no. Can't do that--not sensational enough.

God bless you and hope your new S will be on it's way soon.

I share BrianMan's welcome to the forums and thank you for posting.
Irony that the photo background is a gas station!
Your crash only reinforces (sorry) just how safe a car it is.
Can't want to get back to mine ... glad you walked away ... yes!

That's a rather interesting damage pattern. The front of course, as you would expect, but theres significant damage to the rear, while the middle section looks pristine (just look at the drivers' door).

That shows how hard the hit was. I'm guessing the rear snapped around from the impact and the rear-side of the two cars "kissed" rather hard.

Jdovi -- Glad you seem alright (but probably pretty sore right now). Please keep us posted.

So sorry you were hit. I had a similar experience being hit while crossing an intersection. PM me if you want to chat about details and dealing with the insurance companies.

Like you, we were able to walk away from the accident. The Model S is solid!

I've only had my S for ~40 days and I've encountered prolly half a dozen red-light running near-misses already, where my light went green, I started to pull out, saw some moron approaching the intersection at full speed, slammed on my brakes, and watched said moron sail through their red light into the intersection and right past the nose of my S. I'm to the point where I assume someone will run a light or stop sign. (This is in San Diego.)

Second--thank you for posting. Where is the ball of fire and explosion? I just love that it not only saved your life, but shows that it IS the safest car in America.

Apparently the chicken littles think that unless the car can withstand 25 tons of force from a metal object to its underside at freeway speed and not have an automatic fire extinguishing system that would not only put out or prevent any fire, but repair the puncture on the fly so that the driver didn't need to pull over, it isn't safe enough. So that a car can withstand a traumatic broadside hit like this and have the driver walk away unscathed, we should just ignore that and focus on a fireball caused by puncturing the frunk long after the occupant had left the car.

Apparently the chicken littles think that unless the car can withstand 25 tons of force from a metal object to its underside at freeway speed and not have an automatic fire extinguishing system that would not only put out or prevent any fire, but repair the puncture on the fly so that the driver didn't need to pull over, it isn't safe enough. So that a car can withstand a traumatic broadside hit like this and have the driver walk away unscathed, we should just ignore that and focus on a fireball caused by puncturing the frunk long after the occupant had left the car.

LOL--and true.