Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need an electrician in Orange County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share with you my experience.

I live in a condo/townhome complex (4 units in a row). I (luckily) live in an end unit, where the meters are on the other side of the garage. However, the meters feed into the subpanel on the 2nd floor next to my 2nd bedroom, on the opposite side of the house. I wanted to get a 14-50 in the garage, which was (unfortunately) on the opposite end of where the subpanel was. I called the Tesla recommend electrician, as well as local electricians from YELP to determine how to get my 14-50 installed. They all had the exact same idea of cutting through my walls, into the attic and dropping a line from the ceiling into my garage. They did not want to touch the meter for some reason. quote came in somewhere between 1500 and 2000.

I called a friend up, who happens to be an electrician, and he came by to look at my layout and I told him about the plans from the other companies. He looked at me and said he could do it for half the cost by drilling from the meter closet into the garage and adding a secondary subpanel just for the 14-50. Most of the work was done in the meter closet, and inside my garage he added a subpanel and 14-50 outlet.

Moral of the story is, shop around, and be open to entertain "outside-the-box" ideas.

I used Lighthouse Electric in Costa Mesa to install a 14-50 in my daughter's garage, right next to the panel. Total cost was $245.

Just wanted to second this electrician's work. Paul from Lighthouse Electric came in this morning and installed a NEMA 14-50 in my garage. Took him an hour and a half and he even went and did some housekeeping on my circuit panel for me (long story, there's a thread in the battery/charging forum). He was very professional and easy to work with. $260 installed.