Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 20" Wheels & Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wheels1.jpg

Wheels2.jpg

Wheels3.jpg

Wheels3a.jpg

Wheels4.jpg

Wheels5.jpg

Wheels6.jpg

Wheels: Ace Alloy - Convex / Hyper Silver finish / 20x9 all around / 35mm offset / 72.6mm CB (centering ring required) / ~$350-$400 a wheel (online vs shop)
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super sport 255/40/20 / 28.0" diameter vs 27.7" factory tires / $369 a tire currently from Tirerack

Wheel Size
I had the factory 19x8" wheels and have coil suspension.
Searched for 19x9s and 20x9s, but couldn't find a style I liked in 19x9, so decided to go with with 20s.
While I really wanted a staggered setup -10s in the rear would look phenomenal- I decided to go non-staggered...
Front wheel fitment: no issues. With a 9" wheel in front, a 30mm to 35mm offset will work. If running wider tires (265): go closer to 30mm; regular tires (245-255): 35mm works fine; I would not run higher than a 35mm offset.
Rear wheel fitment: no issues. There is plenty of space in the rear. People are running 10" and 10.5" rear wheels.

Wheel Type
This is a cast wheel. I thought long and hard about getting a forged wheel...
CCW wheels would be a light, relatively inexpensive option, but none of John's designs really fit the car.
Tsportlines: Visited Elli at Al&Eds in Hollywood, great guy, super knowledgeable. The wheels on his car are gorgeous. But at the end of the day I just couldn't get my head around spending ~$9000 out the door for these wheels+tires.
Other forged options I looked at are even more $$$.
Ultimately I am happy with the trade-offs I made going with a cast wheel.

Tire Size
I'm a big believer in a taller sidewall: More sidewall = more compliance = more absolute grip. And I prefer the more predictable feel of a taller sidewall... as opposed to the 'on/off' feel of a very short sidewall. So I didn't even consider a 21" or 22" wheel. And as I was +1 sizing to a 20" wheels, I decided to run a slightly taller sidewall than the 19" 245/45 sidewall.

Weight
Factory 19" Wheel+Tire+TPMS+Center cap: 58.6 lbs
New 20" Wheel+Tire+TPMS+Center cap: 57.5 lbs
So I lost 1.1 lbs. I can live with that given that I went +1" in both height and width. But there definitely are lighter wheels out there.

Shop
Bought them from a hole in the wall shop, not in the best part of Los Angeles. I picked it because it's close to my work. And this turned out to be a good decision as the owner Kiko is a perfectionest... a methodical, straight-shooting, perfectionist... double/triple checking wheel availability, offsets, TPMS, etc. OUTSTANDING customer service. Victoria Tire and Wheel, Huntington Park, CA.

Driving
Road noise: 90% of roads/pavement: Slightly more road noise (less of an increase than i expected); 10% of roads/pavement: Crazy loud groaning!
Ride: Moderately stiffer ride (about what i expected from a +1 max performance summer tire)
Initial driving impressions: LOVE the new setup, especially the Pilot Super Sports. Much higher overall grip, balanced, predictable handling, improved steering response, significantly better braking, overall a more confidence-inspiring, better connected to the road feeling. Can't say how much of this is the wider wheels, but the Super Sports really are as good as the reviews say they are.
Will provide more details once I get more miles on the new setup.

New wheel+tire vs factory 19" wheel+tire:
Wheels7.jpg

Factory 19" wheel+tire weight:
Wheels9.jpg

New wheel+tire weight:
Wheels9a.jpg

UPDATE1:
With 255/40/20 tires (28.0" diameter vs 27.7" factory tires), I have discovered I have slight rub in front - only in reverse, when the steering wheel is at a specific angle. Slightly turned and full lock, no rubbing. But at one specific steering angle in the middle, the tires rub. It's very slight and I hardly notice it, but if you don't want to deal with this, run 245/40/20 tires (factory diameter).
Rub.jpg

Update2:
Ended up changing my rear wheels from 9" to 10" with 285/35/20 PSS.
New 20 Tires - Page 3

Last edited:
Looks sharp. Great choices. And thanks for sharing the process.

A lot of us are trying to figure out how to get those sweet Michelin Super Sports onto this car. Don't understand why Michelin doesn't make PSS to fit the base 245/45-19 size.

Have fun!

Very nice wheel selection. It's hard to find a wheel that fits in with the design of a car. Those look pretty good!
Thank you. And yes I looked at A LOT of wheels trying to find a simple style that would fit with the lines of the car... do this long enough and you will become a "car racist". I'd find myself saying, "Oooh, these would look great on a BMW... on a Nissan GTR... on a Mercedes... but won't work at all on my Tesla."

- - - Updated - - -

where did you purchase the new TPMS and how much was it if you don't mind me asking. I am looking to downsize from 21 to 20" but I will be going alittle wider on the rear.
Your tire shop should be able to get them for you. I understand there are only a few TPMS frequencies. Model S uses a 433Mhz sensor.
If you want to get them yourself, Tirerack carries them, and will sell you the sensors alone (I asked). $388+shipping for four.

- - - Updated - - -

Needs a drop.
1000% agree. Waiting for lolachampcar to design his "+ suspension for the rest of us" upgrade. :biggrin:

Nice wheels!
I lowered my P85 with iamsohai's lowering links and it turned out pretty good :). That could be an option. Here's a pic:
Love your wheels and the lambo green calipers!

I believe iamsohai's lowering links only work for air-suspension cars... i have coil suspension... so it's going to take more work to lower my car.

Centering rings

Thank you. And yes I looked at A LOT of wheels trying to find a simple style that would fit with the lines of the car... do this long enough and you will become a "car racist". I'd find myself saying, "Oooh, these would look great on a BMW... on a Nissan GTR... on a Mercedes... but won't work at all on my Tesla."

@Dreamin - I also went through this process and landed on the same wheels (titanium finish)
Where did you find the correct centering rings? I've had the wheels for weeks now, but cannot find the correct rings.
The hub on the Model S is only about 1/4", and all the centering rings seem to be tapered. When put in the wheel, it wont reach the hub.
My tire store is trying to find a shop that can machine some for me.

Love your wheels and the lambo green calipers!

I believe iamsohai's lowering links only work for air-suspension cars... i have coil suspension... so it's going to take more work to lower my car.

Thank you! :biggrin:

Ahh.. Totally didn't think about whether or not you had the air suspension or not! Doh.

You're brave to put green calipers on a white car!

Haha why's that?

@Dreamin - I also went through this process and landed on the same wheels (titanium finish)
Where did you find the correct centering rings? I've had the wheels for weeks now, but cannot find the correct rings.
The hub on the Model S is only about 1/4", and all the centering rings seem to be tapered. When put in the wheel, it wont reach the hub.
My tire store is trying to find a shop that can machine some for me.

Can you post pics of your car? I wanted to go with that color, but could not get a sense of what the color really looked like from online pics.

On centering-rings, yes the hub-centering 'lip' is crazy-short on this car, and you have to match the taper of the new wheel's hub. My shop had rings in stock which worked. I will give them a call and try to get a make and model #. I can also take one of my wheels off this weekend and see if there is a name/model printed on them. Finally, you can call Tire rack and see if they will sell you their centering-rings...

Last edited:
Can you post pics of your car? I wanted to go with that color, but could not get a sense of what the color really looked like from online pics.

On centering-rings, yes the hub-centering 'lip' is crazy-short on this car, and you have to match the taper of the new wheel's hub. My shop had rings in stock which worked. I will give them a call and try to get a make and model #. I can also take one of my wheels off this weekend and see if there is a name/model printed on them. Finally, you can call Tire rack and see if they will sell you their centering-rings...

I don't have them on the car yet, but I will post a pic when I get them on. I have a blue S though.
My local tire shop is working on a solution for the rings. I'm hoping they have something figured out when I get back in town on Saturday.

I like the look. A question???

Looks like the diameter of the tire is "taller" than oem. I have 20's myself. 245/40/20 front, 275/35/20 rear. That aspect ratio was needed to keep the speedometer calibrated within 3% of oem. Is your speedometer off?

john

- - - Updated - - -

I just was that it was .3 inch difference. Just looks more...
my bad

I like the look. A question???

Looks like the diameter of the tire is "taller" than oem. I have 20's myself. 245/40/20 front, 275/35/20 rear. That aspect ratio was needed to keep the speedometer calibrated within 3% of oem. Is your speedometer off?

john

Very nice :) I got my self also 20" from Tirerack (Zinik Z33). Now i just have to wait for my car to arrive here in Norway in November:))) I am also adding a link to the latest test of Tesla S in Broom - see it in 16:40 out in the program (Norwegian Language) - http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=3006&progId=758520 - enjoy!

View attachment 32148View attachment 32149View attachment 32150

Good choice! After seeing your pictures I pulled the trigger on the same wheels from Tire Rack for my winter wheels out here in Denver CO. Should arrive late next week...TPMS on special order so a slight delay in shipping.