Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

keyless start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Motors - think
TEG wrote on July 23rd, 2006 at 10:59 am
...Suggestion: keyless starting like on the Prius and other new models.
Having an ID key in your pocket and a start button on the dashboard is a very nice feature which appears to be lacking on the Tesla prototypes....

Tesla Motors - think
TEG wrote on September 27th, 2006 at 11:48 pm ...I have been brainstorming ideas...
...Keyless entry and starting like on the Prius. (Key fob is detected by a proximity sensor)...

Tesla Motors - hear
vfx wrote on September 14th, 2007 at 6:07 pm
...My car has keyless ingintion. It’s smart enough to beep at me when I get out of the car and leave the key on the seat...

I'm surprised they didn't add this with the 2.5 update. I've wanted keyless start for a few years now and would hope the Roadster would have it by now. I hope to get one anyway but would be nice if it was at least an option.

I concur. I ultimately gave in on this issue when I stopped thinking about buying the roadster and instead thought about the roadster as a temporary car until I get my Model S. I guess I can get used to carrying a key again for a couple years.

Tesla should offer us the option of having this installed without affecting the warranty.
Star Drive

Last edited:
Update:

Word from Tesla is "no." Two reasons given: (1) device is not factory tested and approved, and (2) the roadster has a locking column (so it still needs the key).

I have a lease, so I am not doing major aftermarket mods, but for those of you who own, the locking mechanism can be removed and the device installed... but not with Tesla's blessing (so vfx is right, it'll probably void your warranty).