Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order: Red P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I did push the order button this week. January delivery.

P85. Red multicoat, black interior, carbon and all options.

i did not add the + package. My thinking is to use the 19" as my winter tires and put sove real nordic rubber on them. in the summer buy something like Vossen 22" or similar.

I did also keep the carbon spoiler. If i dont like i will remove it after delivery.

I still have some days to reconsider things like color etc.

the stuff that floats around in he brain are:
is the beige interior better looking? My argument for black is that its easier to keep in mint condition. Have kids...
+ package... Do come from BMW and 1M, Alpinas etc. The tesla will not go on any tracks though... Dont like to be forced to the 21" staggered for the +. The extreme wear on the tires scares me...
silver or pearl white exterior? Bit tired on white... Did see the gray and not good looking... Silver is easy to keep clean. But the red looks very good in pictures and videos.

thoughts?

its European options and Sweden as the country.

thanks!

The extreme wear on the tires scares me...

I'll let the "experts" weigh in more on this, but from the latest posts I've seen, it looks like the "negative camber" is not really the culprit, but instead the rear wheels are being delivered with "toe out" and that seems to be the cause of the inside wear and thus needing replacement every 5k miles.

That being said, if the "toe" can be adjusted (fixed) at any shop [others please weigh in here], then I'm sure the wear will be a lot better, and with 21" performance tires you could probably now get about 12-15k on them before needing replacement. Personally that's still too short for me (I drive 4-5k miles a month). There are other caveats with them as well (louder, harsher, prone to damage/blowouts on potholes, curb rashes, expensive to replace ($500+/tire), etc). The 19s I think are still really big and may still even be considered "low profile" (I guess compared to "regular cars with regular tires"), but for me the 19s are wearing very well. I should be able to get about 60k miles on my 19s (stock OEM goodyears) before I need to replace them.

But the red looks very good in pictures and videos.

IMO the red is one the most stunning red's I've even seen on a car. You'll be very happy with that....also IMO I think that silver is the ugliest choice for the car. I had a loaner vehicle for a few days with the multi-coat white and I'll say that was the best looking white I've ever seen on any car. It was like metallic white, I've never seen anything like that. It hides any little mark, scrach, etc, making the finish look absolutely exceptional 24/7. Also a very good choice. I chose black with tan interior (very nice), but my other choices would have been Red (with either black or tan interior), or that metallic white with black or tan interior. I do not like the grey interior.

Colors are all personal preferences though. To each their own. Go with whatever you think looks the best. There are plenty of other HUGE threads on here with high quality photos.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11875-Model-S-Photo-Gallery

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/111-Model-S-Interior-amp-Exterior

Thanks! I also think 19" is enough. 21 and above is purely for looks. My 1M jad 19" and is one of the best handling cars in the world. I would never go for red on a bMW but look very good on the Tesla. Interesting regarding the pearl white. I did remove the black due to swirls and watermarks etc in some owner threads. i know black is a pain to keep clean. Do look stunning when clean though.

Is the tan leather nice? As its alcantra and leather combo on the p85 I was a bit afraid it would be hard to keep good looking. Any feedback on that? I like the tan in pictures... Gray leather is not my thing.

You’re the first confirmed order of a Model S from Sweden that I’ve seen on TMC (besides those on the World Map of Model S Reservation Holders). Good choice! That’s what makes this forum such an uplifting place. People keep buying the right car! Over and over again! :rolleyes:

In the US configurator you can equip the car with Fog Lamps and Extended Nappa Leather Trim. I can’t find those options in the Swedish configurator. Do you know if these options are available for the Swedish market or not?

I have the tan Leather, with the fabric headliner.
No problems with tan at all.
I have an S85, so alcantra headliner was not available, have seen it, and think it looks great.

Carbon fiber would have been my first choice for the dash, again, not available to me in S85 config.

Congrats on placing your order, looks like you have a beauty on your hands.

Also: Does a P85 delivered to Sweden come with the metal trim accelerator and brake pedals? I guess it might not be that big of a deal, but if it was me, I think I would at least prefer to get those over the standard ones, and if it’s an easy fix to get the car delivered with those – then why not…

Thanks. Swedish config is like the older US config but with the new European options. Then they did add some new options in the US plus raised price of some things... The leather seats in the P85 do have some alacantra on the sides that i dont think the non p versions in leather have. Cannot order the new options like alcantra headliner etc in Sweden. PDC etc. I think foglights are standard. I did add all extras as I think it dont matter much for the price in the end. Annoys me that I cannot go for + without the 21" wheels. ;-)

good to hear that the tan is good looking after some time. Maybe change to tan... ;-)

i think I will keep red as my 1M was white and carbon. Time to change. ;-)

did drive the Swedish democar. p85+ in gray with all extras. Dont like the color but loved the car. Amazing car! Swedish deliveries start now. They have some preorders..

- - - Updated - - -

Domt know about metal pedals. Easy to pimp later though if not.

i dont like chrome so guess i will have to wrap that. Plus black windows.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I will miss from the BMWs are the wonderful seats. 1M seat was great and the comfort seat in the X5 is one of the best seats in the market. Tesla seats are ok but not as good as the beemer seats. The nappa leather in the BMW also feel a bit better. Not a showstopper though

I have the red with tan and very happy, I get comments everywhere I go on how beautiful the red is. Again a very individual choice. The tan leather is staying clean, no problems there. Also have the 19's and happy with them, they look very nice and ride smooth.

@merrill: do you have children? How long have you owned the car? Would you go for tan again? My gut feeling like the tan look more as its a bit dark in the cabin. My X5 was black nappa and after 130000 km still almost as new. Should i change to tan? ;-)

red is decided.

Ok changing to tan interior. Only thing left before automatic confirmation is + with gray 21" or not... My initial idea was to go with 19" and switch to Nokkian winter tires as delivery is during the Swedish winter. Then buy a set of Vossen CV4 with michelin pilot supersport. (Same price as the 21" Tesla for me)... But will not get + handling then. Hate that I must go 21" with +!!! Tesla come on no reason for this but profit!!!

I've been thinking about the + option, and whether it's possible to retro fit it to a P or even on a regular S. From what I've gathered so far is that the + option gives you firmer suspension/coils, staggered 21inch wheels with a bit of secret sauce on s/w(?). If so, I think you can recreate the + effect with after market suspension system with larger wheels.... At least you can come close to it.

That was my rationale for going with 19 inch wheels so then I too can use them for winter season in New England... I will be looking into aftermarket choices come next spring....

Last edited:
…/ From what I've gathered so far is that the + option gives you firmer suspension/coils, staggered 21inch wheels with a bit of secret sauce on s/w(?). If so, I think you can recreate the + effect with after market suspension system with larger wheels.... At least you can come close to it. /…
The P85+ has air suspension. So therefore no coils. Or am I missing something?

As I understand it, Tesla offers a retrofit with many of the components in the + upgrade to P models with air suspension. Some components are however not included. And if I remember correctly this retrofit achieves a claimed approximate 80% of the + handling improvements. There are specifics around here somewhere on the forum.

Last edited:
You should order the + to get the suspension upgrades and then just buy a set of aftermarket 19's for winter tires. If you simply do not like/want the OEM 21's simply sell them as soon as you take delivery. The staggered + setup will command a premium in my opinion.