Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: HOV Stickers and Personalized License Plates - Need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished ordering a Personalized License Plate with DMV :biggrin:. I already have HOV stickers on my Model S which currently has a standard license plate. How does one go about associating the HOV stickers with the new Personalized License Plate? Does this automatically happen when one picks up the new license plate and surrenders the old license plate? My existing registration card has my VIN, the license plate number, and the HOV Decal number. Will I get a new registration card with the new license plate information and the existing HOV decal / VIN information?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

It isn't difficult, but I seriously wouldn't bother. TECHNICALLY you just fill out the application and mail it in but It isn't an issue at all. Remember, if you sell the car the personalized plates do not go with the car.

I have had multiple Hibreds and EV's and have never once even heard of the stickers being challenged by CHP. (Put them on a Hummer then maybe)

Pulled over in downtown San Francisco for a plastic cover on license plate. Didn't care that I only had 2 HOV stickers not issued to my personalized plate. Let me go with a warning. Didn't care about illegal tint either. Just lucky?

Thanks all for the replies. I found the official DMV position at Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage
as follows:

24. Q: My name is misspelled on my CAV decal ID card or I have a new address or a new license plate. Do I need to notify DMV to obtain an updated CAV decal ID card?

A: Yes. You have to notify DMV by completing a REG 1000 (PDF) form if the information on the CAV decal ID card needs to be corrected (e.g., misspelling, new address and/or new license plate number). There is no fee required for corrections or updates and you will receive a new CAV decal ID card within 30 business days.

Check the “Information Change/Update” box, state what is required, and indicate the reason (e.g., “I moved– Address Change Only”) in the Statement of Facts section on the form.

Thanks all for the replies. I found the official DMV position at Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage
as follows:

Just an FYI. I followed the instructions on the website (the good person that I am) to make sure their database was updated to show that I had transferred my Personalized Plates to my MS. Submitted the form, checked the "Information Change/Update" box, provided an explanation in the Statement of Facts (got new plates, updating their database), and submitted sans any money (as it states no fee required for corrections/updates). well, a few weeks later I get mail from the DMV with a rejection letter inside stating I did not provide the $8 fee. I called the 800 number listed on the rejection letter to inquire and the guy said the website is wrong and you have to pay each time you send in the form. :cursing:

The form's been sitting on my desk for a month now.

Just an FYI. I followed the instructions on the website (the good person that I am) to make sure their database was updated to show that I had transferred my Personalized Plates to my MS. Submitted the form, checked the "Information Change/Update" box, provided an explanation in the Statement of Facts (got new plates, updating their database), and submitted sans any money (as it states no fee required for corrections/updates). well, a few weeks later I get mail from the DMV with a rejection letter inside stating I did not provide the $8 fee. I called the 800 number listed on the rejection letter to inquire and the guy said the website is wrong and you have to pay each time you send in the form. :cursing:

The form's been sitting on my desk for a month now.
That sucks big time. Given your experience, I will send the form in with a check just to play it safe. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I get mail from the DMV with a rejection letter inside stating I did not provide the $8 fee. I called the 800 number listed on the rejection letter to inquire and the guy said the website is wrong

Same thing happened to me when submitting an information update. So I resubmitted with an $8 check. A few days later I received the check back with a note say that there was no need for payment! :confused: I hope they at least updated my information.

Same thing happened to me when submitting an information update. So I resubmitted with an $8 check. A few days later I received the check back with a note say that there was no need for payment! :confused: I hope they at least updated my information.

I suppose I can resubmit again, and see if they send back the check.

My inclination was to print out the sections of the website that stated NO FEE REQUIRED when I resubmit....

I just received my regular sequential plates, and have mailed the application form for original white decals with the $8 check today. Can I apply for personalized plates now? Or will it mess up the decal application process and I should wait until the decals are issued to apply for the new plates?

I just received my regular sequential plates, and have mailed the application form for original white decals with the $8 check today. Can I apply for personalized plates now? Or will it mess up the decal application process and I should wait until the decals are issued to apply for the new plates?
I don't think the vanity plate application will affect the HOV sticker application because the vanity plates are not assigned to the VIN until you exchange the plates. However, after you get the new plates on the car, you should file the same HOV sticker application again with the plate change info and another $8. The better way would have been to wait to apply for the HOV stickers until you had the final plates on the car.

I don't think the vanity plate application will affect the HOV sticker application because the vanity plates are not assigned to the VIN until you exchange the plates. However, after you get the new plates on the car, you should file the same HOV sticker application again with the plate change info and another $8. The better way would have been to wait to apply for the HOV stickers until you had the final plates on the car.

Yes, that would have been a better way, but I figured HOV stickers are more urgent than the plates. Applying for the plates first would mean I had to wait up to four months to be able to use the HOV lanes. Since I have no experience of owning a car before, I have a couple of naive questions:

You mentioned exchanging the plates. Did you mean that when the personalized plates are ready, I will have to give up my original plates? I thought I get to keep both. Is that not the case?

Secondly, when applying for personalized plates, doesn't the application require me to provide current registration info like current license plate number or something? If so, then I would guess that should associate my registration with the new plates, and can potentially affect the HOV application.

You can buy the custom plates at any time, without specifying where they will be used.

I ordered mine the day we ordered the MS, they took about 2 weeks longer to make than Tesla took to make the car. But you need to specify where they will be assigned when you collect them from the DMV. So I had to wait another week until my regular plates arrived, then go to the DMV with those to be surrendered. I walked out with the custom plates assigned to the car. I was able to send the sticker application at that time. That was a week ago, so hopefully I'll get the stickers shortly.

You don't need to pay another $8 if you're updating the plate info for the white stickers. Just send in an update application (worked that way for me, and I asked the DMV lady specifically when I picked up my plates.) I wouldn't worry about doing it in sequence. White stickers will be a lot faster than the custom plates.

You don't need to pay another $8 if you're updating the plate info for the white stickers. Just send in an update application (worked that way for me, and I asked the DMV lady specifically when I picked up my plates.) I wouldn't worry about doing it in sequence. White stickers will be a lot faster than the custom plates.
This policy is very inconsistently implemented. I've heard of applications being returned for lack of a $8 check, and I've also heard of people's checks being returned with their updated HOV registration paper.

You can buy the custom plates at any time, without specifying where they will be used. ...

Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and ordered the custom plates while the sticker application was still in process.

... I wouldn't worry about doing it in sequence. White stickers will be a lot faster than the custom plates.

You are right. I received my stickers a couple of weeks after I applied for the custom plates. I guess I may have to wait a couple more months for them. Anyway, I am in no rush. Have got the stickers which mattered a lot more.