Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strong Noise when driving above 67mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed something and I wanted to check if anyone has experienced the same, before I contact Tesla Service.
First of all the Tesla Model S is super silent, though when I drive above 67mph, there is a noise that starts building insight the car.
It does not seem to come from the "motor".

My model S is 85KW.
The A/c was off and no music was playing.
All windows closed including sun roof.

I had tested a Model S 85P and did not hear the noise.

I have recorded a video while I was on the highway.
If you listen it through an "iphone" speaker, you will not hear it, because the speakers are too weak and don't carry a good base.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a strong hum at about 64-65mph and above. Mine, I'm fairly certain is coming from the Frunk area. The hum pitch increases as speed increases, but not necessarily a 1 for 1 with actual speed, but more with energy effort. This regardless of pavement type, so I'm certain it's not tire noise. I'm thinking it's one of the coolant pumps working to keep the motor or batteries cool. Nothing else makes sense.

This does sound like mine though, a low hum.

Does yours increase in pitch the faster you go? Are you sure it's coming from the back?

I noticed a similar noise about 2 weeks after delivery of mine. I hadn't noticed the hum before that, but at around 70mph there is a definite hum from what sounds to me the front right area of the car (exactly what SCW described). I asked my service guys when I had my chargeport replaced a couple of weeks ago if there's anything up there that should be making a noise and they suggested I bring it back in when I have time for them to check it out. I might arrange that next week, but I'm eager to hear what others find.

Hmm it seems we need to make a thread dedicated to "Tesla noises". This is a new one that I've never heard before. I don't have this sound. Totally IMO but sounds like a fan of some sort that's about to bite the dust. Definitely take it to a SC and have them look at it. If you take a voice(audio) recording using your iphone and zip it up and attach it, I'll open it up in a spectral frequency analyzer and take a screencap vid of it and repost it.

I couldn't really hear it on the video, but for the last few weeks I have had a low frequency "drone" at highway speeds whenever power is being applied (i.e. power meter showing orange). As soon as the power goes to zero or into the green, the noise goes away. It doesn't seem to be proportional to the amount of power I'm applying. As soon as I see orange, the drone starts, and goes away as soon as the power reaches zero. It does sound like it's coming from the front of the car, but it has to be the drivetrain and the noise is probably just transmitting through the car's body. I have just about 13,000 miles on the odo.

VIN 20525: I have the hum coming from my right rear. I can hear it above 40 and gets louder as I go faster. If I am going 75mph I can hear it even with my radio on at level 5! Have an email out to the service center. Waiting for a reply.

That is the exact problem I had (and reported in the other thread). The simple solution is a drive train replacement. The noise will be gone and the car silent once again. Mine started from the day I took delivery of the car and didn't really know it wasn't "normal" until I complained and they replaced the drive train.