Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Richmond Virginia Supercharger location confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

techmaven

Feb 27, 2013
I just got off the phone and I can now report that the central Virginia Supercharger location has been confirmed at the Creeks at Virginia Center:

Creeks at Virginia Center - About - Google+

Google Maps

I suggested this location to Tesla months earlier using their online form linked from the supercharger page. It is right at the crossroads of I-95 and I-295, therefore covering both the main north-south and east-west routes through central Virginia. Further, since it is at a shopping center with restaurants and not at the mall or the movie theater, this location is less likely to have people leaving their cars for hours on end.

This is the electric permit:

Building Inspections

It was approved yesterday. Expected completion is 4 weeks, but of course, actual completion date is hard to predict.

- - - Updated - - -

Picture of the site from this morning (9/27):
RichmondSupercharger.jpg

Obviously not much has happened so far (it's only been 1 day). Miss Utility has been there.

And from the developer's site to show the shops. I added the Tesla location:

Attachments

• RichmondSuperchargerShoppingMall.jpg
    RichmondSuperchargerShoppingMall.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 1,444
Last edited:
Wonderful news - looks like you can pop off I95 coming from DC, head south on Rt 1 and reach it pretty easily. Perfect for heading to OBX :)

Yeah, heading south from DC, this is the last exit before taking I-295 to I-64 east to the beach and I-295 to I-64 west to Charlottesville.

It's a bit of a stretch from the Delaware Supercharger at 195 miles: 530 John F. Kennedy Memorial Hwy, Newark, DE 19702 to Creeks at Virginia Center - Google Maps
One can use 301, however to bypass DC.

I suggested this location to Tesla months earlier using their online form linked from the supercharger page. It is right at the crossroads of I-95 and I-295, therefore covering both the main north-south and east-west routes through central Virginia. Further, since it is at a shopping center with restaurants and not at the mall or the movie theater, this location is less likely to have people leaving their cars for hours on end.

Ooh, another real gray dot!

How crowded does the parking lot get? A low ICEing risk would be helpful. (I'm thinking ahead to Gen 3. ;))

(By coincidence, if the Southern Maine Supercharger were to be at the Maine Mall in South Portland it would also be close to the intersection of I-95 and I-295.)

Great Job Bill!

I have a sister that lives a little west of downtown Richmond near Midlothian Turnpike and she's 216 miles from the DE supercharger and can easily make it there in my S85 with 40 miles to spare.... The route is pretty flat/slight downhill. I do I95 to 895 to 295 and back to I95 south.

Aaron

Great info, thanks! I'm quite excited, though it's too bad it won't be online before I go to Raleigh in October. ;-)

I wish they'd gone with something just south of Richmond, but I'm glad you mentioned this. Until they have a Supercharger in the DC area, they'd probably want these two Superchargers within 200 miles of each other. Fair enough!

- - - Updated - - -

There will be a supercharger in Rocky Mount, NC (apparently contractors have put in bids to do the work), about 130 miles away on I-95.

Oh! Most excellent, then. :-D

Went by Sat afternoon. They have started digging a bit at the curb in the back right. They are up against some utility line. So at least things have started. Here's a a pic of the permit posted on the the office. 8 spaces, 4 SC boxes. They call it 133kw so I guess the 120kw is 90% efficient. Thats a lot of heat to blow off under full charge! I calculate the full output load is like 380 v at 1400A, so what does the 2000Amp w/800A trip mean? Maybe its less input amps at 480V.

RIC.JPG

... Here's a a pic of the permit posted on the the office. 8 spaces, 4 SC boxes. They call it 133kw so I guess the 120kw is 90% efficient. Thats a lot of heat to blow off under full charge! I calculate the full output load is like 380 v at 1400A, so what does the 2000Amp w/800A trip mean? Maybe its less input amps at 480V.

When the Supercharger bay is putting out full power, the fans come on pretty strong and loud; I'm sure to get rid of that 13kW.

You can calculate 133kW/3phases/277V (3 phase, Wye connected) for a current of 160A per phase. Put in the 20% NEMA derate factor and you get 200A (80% * 200A = 160A) per phase per Supercharger bay (cabinet). A master breaker for 4 bays then needs a main breaker of 800A, as the permit specifies. Take a look at Supercharger - Tesla Motors Club. That TMC wiki has consistent info.

Last edited: