Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visor mirror covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching the forums but I could only find complaints about the visor size and lack of lighted mirrors.

After a month, one of the plastic (and sadly very cheap looking) visor mirror covers fell off. Looking at it, it appear that they stay on by two very thin molded plastic
hinges.
I wasn't aware of any excessive movement.
I then went and looked at the drivers mirror and sure enough one of the hinges had broken and the cover was hanging on by a thread.

Anyone else experienced this?
I am dumbfounded at how cheap these seem given the attention to detail given to other parts of the car.

I'm sure I can just ring up Tesla Service and get them replaced, currently trying to decide if thats worth the visit alone.

The visors that are there now are supposed to be just temporary until lighted visors become available. This was promised a long time ago but there's been no movement that I can see.

Both my passenger and driver's side broke off, both first times opening them. Tesla SC in Chicago replaced both visors. They checked out the broken pieces and took them in return.

We're extra careful with the two new visors now.

The visors that are there now are supposed to be just temporary until lighted visors become available. This was promised a long time ago but there's been no movement that I can see.

I was thinking about writing Ownership and finding out the status of the visor situation a couple days ago. Has anyone contacted Tesla and gotten any current information?
I don't want to bother them if someone else has already inquired and has a recent update. I know it's their quarterly "busy season" right now.

I contacted ownership services last winter and the response I got said the latest info was that the replacements probably wouldn't start until August. Well, they didn't make that target date. Guess I'll ping them again and see what they say now. Pretty ridiculous!!

I contacted ownership services yesterday again asking when the new visors are going to be released that George B promised last year. This is the response I just got.
"Hi John,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Motors. We appreciate the time you have taken to send us your inquiry.

In regards to the sun visor design, a redesigned unit has not found its way into the production pipeline as of yet. We do not have a firm ETA, but if the new part number is approved for general distribution to existing vehicles, we will be able to install the visors at the time of your next annual service once the part has been released." Interesting that he threw an "if" in there. Doesn't sound like any real commitment to me. Very disappointing.

I contacted ownership services yesterday again asking when the new visors are going to be released that George B promised last year. This is the response I just got.
"Hi John,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Motors. We appreciate the time you have taken to send us your inquiry.

In regards to the sun visor design, a redesigned unit has not found its way into the production pipeline as of yet. We do not have a firm ETA, but if the new part number is approved for general distribution to existing vehicles, we will be able to install the visors at the time of your next annual service once the part has been released." Interesting that he threw an "if" in there. Doesn't sound like any real commitment to me. Very disappointing.

It also shows at least one item that would be covered under the annual service "hardware upgrade" that would not be available to those who do not pay for service.

It also shows at least one item that would be covered under the annual service "hardware upgrade" that would not be available to those who do not pay for service.
I don't get where you draw that conclusion from.

Suppose I said, "When you come to my house for [our previously planned] dinner, I'll show you the CCI that I got recently in my S."
And then you said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you that I can't make dinner because a work thing popped up."

Would you then assume that I'd never show you the CCI [because the dinner would be the only time you would have that opportunity]?

I don't get where you draw that conclusion from.

Suppose I said, "When you come to my house for [our previously planned] dinner, I'll show you the CCI that I got recently in my S."
And then you said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you that I can't make dinner because a work thing popped up."

Would you then assume that I'd never show you the CCI [because the dinner would be the only time you would have that opportunity]?

What on earth are you talking about? Please re-read my post, as it was specifically addressing the quote from Tesla's email:

"if the new part number is approved for general distribution to existing vehicles, we will be able to install the visors at the time of your next annual service once the part has been released."

Per Tesla's response, any available retrofit would be installed at the time of your next annual service. That seems to make a connection. I don't know what a CCI or dinner at your house has to do with this. We all have sun visors, so those who pay for annual service will get an "upgrade" to this hardware which is already existing in your vehicle. An upgrade, by definition, is upgrading something that already exists in the car - not adding additional functionality. Adding a CCI would be adding functionality that was not there previously. See the difference?

I'll try again.

Tesla said we'll do X when you do Y. And then you drew the conclusion that Y was the only time you can have X done.

That's conclusion doesn't follow from the provided information. More specifically, just because they'll do some retrofits during annual service doesn't mean that's the only way to get them.

I'll try again.

Tesla said we'll do X when you do Y. And then you drew the conclusion that Y was the only time you can have X done.

That's conclusion doesn't follow from the provided information. More specifically, just because they'll do some retrofits during annual service doesn't mean that's the only way to get them.

Okay I think I got it. I found the word choice interesting, since they could have easily said to make an appointment with the SC to have the retrofit done. That's all.