Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not able to connect Tesla's Wifi to home network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm experiencing problems when connecting my MS Wifi to our home network. BGN network, SSID visible, european, WPA/WPA2 personal password. AES+TKIP.

Even with all security off (open network) the MS will not connect to it.

Any clues or tips?

Can the car connect to other wifi networks? Make sure the car wifi at least works.

If so, I'd suggest messing with the band settings, turn off B and just try G, for example. You might be able to try different channels on the wifi access point. Maybe the car is too far from the access point?

I have the same issue. Unable to connect to my 802.11N home network. I've tried forcing 802.11g and turning security off, but nothing works. The car will see all the local networks (except for 5.0ghz N networks) and recognize that some require a password. But after I enter the password, the connection will fail and I get the message to "Check the password."

Try changing your password to exactly 8 characters long and don't use any non alpha numeric characters. I've seen a similar problem before and that was the solution.

The fact that it doesn't connect without encryption shoots a hole in this theory, but it's worth a try.

just a guess - your wifi router typical uses a fixed channel for your wifi, try change this channel to a different - offen this helps in situations like yours.
some equipent does not like specific channels - so changing to another could help compability.

You also can search Google for NetStumbler. Its a wifi security (reveal) tool. Version .9 ran only on Win XP. don't know about more recent version.
It will tell you about wifi routers running in your neighborhood. Once you see what channel and what SSID they are running on, you can move your AP to a different channel.
This way your change your AP to use completely different.
The explanation of your problem sounds a lot like you are competing head on with others running on the same channel.
Highly unlikely but, someone might be copying your SSID. If they are, they are messing with you. Even though you have a different password, your system is being stepped on.

Here's the issue I had...

On my wireless access point during the setup process, I typed in a "passphrase" and in turn the access point generated a hexadecimal "key" from that passphrase.

Once set up, for every laptop or device I have connected to my wireless network in the past, I have used the hexadecimal "key" as the password on the laptop when connecting to the wireless network.

In the case of the Tesla, it would not connect in this fashion, but as soon as I typed in the entire original "passphrase" then it connected right away...

Not really. Can your car see the access points? What does it do when you try to connect? We need a little more data to help.

Yes, it sees both access points. States it can't join "network name"
Please check the password. I have multiple iPhones and iPads joined with the same password..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg