Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

faint high pitch background whine *any any speed* constant sound tied to accelerator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok this is a different noise that I have been hearing.

*** This is different than the high pitch balloon leak that happens during heavy accelleration that's described in this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9350-The-high-pitched-whine-during-acceleration ***

This sound is tied to the "gas pedal" aka the "go pedal/accelerator". it happens at any speed, slow or fast, from a stop or going 80mph - doesn't make a difference. This sound is constant, but only when pressing down on the accelerator. When you let go of the accelerator, it stops. Push down again, it starts. It's very very easy to hear at slow speeds (<25mph) because tire noise doesn't drown it out. Clearly it's not tied to the high power you'd get under heavy acceleration. This will happen even if your only using 5-10kW power as shown here. It doesn't really get louder if you were doing 30,40,50-100kW etc. It's just a faint whine that you hear constantly as long as your foot is on the accelerator. Ok I've said that like 5 times now. Here is the analysis below.

In the video there are 7 "blocks" where I push down on the accelerator for a second and then let go. I do this over and over (not that I would normally drive like that; I was only doing it to highlight that it is tied to the accelerator). If I were to put the car in cruise control, it would start and be constant the entire time. You can see in the bottom in the spectral frequency display the 7 blocks where I touch the accelerator and then let go. The last 3 are noticeably louder. That is because I was slowing down and there was less tire noise, but I still touched the accelerator for a second at this lower speed to highlight how much more distinct it is when going slower.

Anyone else have this "faint whine" sound that is in sync with pressing down on the MS accelerator? Again, this is *not* the loud balloon leak squeal under heavy acceleration...(I should probably make a capture with both just so ppl can hear the difference....next time :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started noticing a noise tied to the acceleration pedal in mine in the past week or so, but mine doesn't sound quite like this. For a while I tried to tell myself it was the motorcycle in the next lane, or the hooptie Civic three cars ahead. Alas, it's my Tesla. :frown:

Ok this is a different noise that I have been hearing.

*** This is different than the high pitch balloon leak that happens during heavy accelleration that's described in this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9350-The-high-pitched-whine-during-acceleration ***

This sound is tied to the "gas pedal" aka the "go pedal/accelerator". it happens at any speed, slow or fast, from a stop or going 80mph - doesn't make a difference. This sound is constant, but only when pressing down on the accelerator. When you let go of the accelerator, it stops. Push down again, it starts. It's very very easy to hear at slow speeds (<25mph) because tire noise doesn't drown it out. Clearly it's not tied to the high power you'd get under heavy acceleration. This will happen even if your only using 5-10kW power as shown here. It doesn't really get louder if you were doing 30,40,50-100kW etc. It's just a faint whine that you hear constantly as long as your foot is on the accelerator. Ok I've said that like 5 times now. Here is the analysis below.

In the video there are 7 "blocks" where I push down on the accelerator for a second and then let go. I do this over and over (not that I would normally drive like that; I was only doing it to highlight that it is tied to the accelerator). If I were to put the car in cruise control, it would start and be constant the entire time. You can see in the bottom in the spectral frequency display the 7 blocks where I touch the accelerator and then let go. The last 3 are noticeably louder. That is because I was slowing down and there was less tire noise, but I still touched the accelerator for a second at this lower speed to highlight how much more distinct it is when going slower.

Anyone else have this "faint whine" sound that is in sync with pressing down on the MS accelerator? Again, this is *not* the loud balloon leak squeal under heavy acceleration...(I should probably make a capture with both just so ppl can hear the difference....next time :) )

Sounds like what I had -- a drive inverter noise. Not normal. A replacement of my drive unit fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
On occasion I do get the balloon squeal, usually only after a lot of hard driving. I do not get this particular sound though. At least I don't think so. I had to listen to your recording a couple of times, to figure out what you're referencing.

I assume you hear this from the back of the cabin?
Do you have the parcel shelf?

I have the parcel shelf and I do find that when the seats are down, or parcel shelf is off, I hear motor related sounds in the back - that I do not normally hear.

I'll have to pay more attention.

That's pretty minimal and sounds like an electronic unit (inverter?) as opposed to motor or reduction gear. Could be caused by a shift in the unit mounting. Roadster gear whine is much louder fwiw. I expected a lot more compared to the ambient noise. Color me neutral on this one.
--

I assume you hear this from the back of the cabin?
Do you have the parcel shelf?

I have the parcel shelf and I do find that when the seats are down, or parcel shelf is off, I hear motor related sounds in the back - that I do not normally hear.

That's a good point. Both of my recordings (the balloon squeal at high acceleration and the faint background constant whine at any speed) were recorded with seats UP and parcel shelf installed. I presume that if I put the seats down and take the parcel shelf out, it would sound MUCH louder than it does already.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I believe my car may have started the same phenomenon a couple months ago.

nope. i haven't let Tesla have my car yet. I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it. seriously though my life is crazy busy and I have a 200+ mile daily commute. can't/won't drive an ICE and haven't scheduled anything to get an 85kW loaner. that being said, I am at 42k miles now, and I've only had my car serviced once at 23k. They recently called me (today) regarding some oxidation/aluminum corrosion coming from my side mirrors and staining my car. My plan is to schedule actual ($600) service around 47-48k miles to get anything under warranty fixed. I dont have the extended warranty and don't plan on purchasing it either. so maybe they'll look into this whining sound too that's been annoying me.

There is a known noise that tends to come at around 10 kW of power, and many cars have it (mine included). It is faint and have to concentrate to hear it (like the ambient light buzzing), and goes away at 20 kW power consumption and below 5 kW. Is this the case for you?

... I am at 42k miles now, and I've only had my car serviced once at 23k. They recently called me (today) regarding some oxidation/aluminum corrosion coming from my side mirrors and staining my car. My plan is to schedule actual ($600) service around 47-48k miles to get anything under warranty fixed. I dont have the extended warranty and don't plan on purchasing it either. so maybe they'll look into this whining sound too that's been annoying me.

Hey, just a thought about your last service (or two), before hitting 48k...
I'd do it now. Get as much done as you can. What you may find is there will be a couple more things that arise afterwards. Specifically, they may introduce squeaks and rattles after service. They did in my case after the 13k service. Now I need to take it in for one around the right A pilar.

I have the inverter buzz. it sounds like an old parking lot sodium inverter but not as bad. maybe 10kW -40kW is where I really notice it and it drops off with more power. When I had my car in for the 1 year service I asked about it and they said my car was pretty quiet compared to some of the newer cars and a new drivetrain might be louder since they don't just replace the inverter, or they didn't back then?

Last edited: