Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensor retrofit - $6000 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that's true I'll take the sensors and wires for $500 in parts thank you very much and have them installed by someone else.

That said, I can't see how this could possibly require $5500 in labor to install. At $125/hr that would be 44 hours. No way it could possibly take a week to install them.

If that's true I'll take the sensors and wires for $500 in parts thank you very much and have them installed by someone else.

That said, I can't see how this could possibly require $5500 in labor to install. At $125/hr that would be 44 hours. No way it could possibly take a week to install them.

I think the main problem is that there's holes that has to be punched in the front/rear facias to make the sensors work and only Fremont has that machine.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...sensors/page20?p=398795&viewfull=1#post398795

Which means a retrofit will not only be the ~$500 in sensor/wire parts, but would also include the front and rear facias. The parts/labor and paint (will have to be matched to your car) on those two could easily put the cost to about $6k.

There were murmurings about a new bumper being flown out for the install.

I disagree. IMO to retrofit parking sensors on a very complex car like the Model S is not easy and is time consuming. You can certainly get parking sensors at a cheaper price on the after market but if you want parking sensors as they have been originally designed and produced by Tesla is not cheap. This is a general rule whenever you want to retrofit anything.

$6,000? If that turns out to be what Tesla charges then it is just plain obscene and downright punitive. It would make me start to believe the whole "be the best car company" and "have the best customer ownership experience" is all just an act and not authentic.

I'd pay $1,000 for a retrofit but that's it. I finalized my order two days before Tesla surprise-announced parking sensors. I remain very disappointed I couldn't get them without cancelling my order and paying $4,500 extra just to get the same car with them.

I'd pay $1,000 for a retrofit but that's it. I finalized my order two days before Tesla surprise-announced parking sensors. I remain very disappointed I couldn't get them without cancelling my order and paying $4,500 extra just to get the same car with them.
We have nearly identical stories. I finalized about a week prior to the availability of the new parking sensors and was unwilling to pay for all of the price increases in order to get the sensors. Some of Tesla's decisions appear to reflect poor planning.

In both our cases they lost revenue from the additional add-on that we were willing to pay for and created ill will without any benefit to Tesla. Maybe it was a foolish oversight or maybe some really stupid people are employed at Tesla. As an early adopter (2009) and a purchaser of two of their cars, I was pissed. As a stockholder, I'd want that decision maker demoted or fired.