Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Court Orders Chicagoland Electric Car Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See? That's what happens, when you refuse to spend the money on a bigger battery, that you will save driving electric. When you save $20,000 or more (during life of car) on gas, and then scrimp on paying for range, you get to cry to the public about charging stations. And some of us just don't care if there isn't a charger between here and 6 flags because we can make it there and back, TWICE, on a charge.

Oh, well. Some folks just can't understand. Good luck on spending hours at your "level 2" charger on your day with the kids.

See? That's what happens, when you refuse to spend the money on a bigger battery, that you will save driving electric. When you save $20,000 or more (during life of car) on gas, and then scrimp on paying for range, you get to cry to the public about charging stations. And some of us just don't care if there isn't a charger between here and 6 flags because we can make it there and back, TWICE, on a charge.

Oh, well. Some folks just can't understand. Good luck on spending hours at your "level 2" charger on your day with the kids.

This addresses the problem of those of us living in multi-unit buildings in large metropolitan areas. We park overnight in municipal garages that do not yet have charging outlets. I'd love to own a Model S, but cannot consider one until charging outlets are installed in the garage in which I must park my car.

Curt, I don't understand how this judgement changes the ability or rights of someone to install a charger in Chicago. It looks like it was a fight over over assets. Was there some sort of exclusivity that 350Green had?

Curt, I don't understand how this judgement changes the ability or rights of someone to install a charger in Chicago. It looks like it was a fight over over assets. Was there some sort of exclusivity that 350Green had?

Yes, it was a fight over assets paid for by a federal grant. Apparently the grant was made to the City of Chicago which hired a contractor that turned out to be fraudulent. The remaining squabble was then over the rights of the subcontractors. I don't see what would prevent private placement of chargers other than a possible licensing requirement by the city.

What sparked my interest is that the winning subcontractor is based in my Chicago suburb. I live in a high-rise and park in a municipal garage. I've been lobbying the village to install chargers in the garage. I already pay a hefty monthly fee and would be willing to pay more (or per use) if they install chargers. Until they are installed, I can't buy a Model S. So today I emailed the subcontractor and the village's officials to learn if they could work together to install chargers in the municipal garages.

I received a phone call today from the president of JNS Power (the subcontractor that won the court battle) in response to my email. He asked me for my contacts with the village in which his company and I reside. We may get the ball rolling again to bring Chicagoland up to speed regarding the infrastructure for charging electric cars.

This could be an important story for us in Chicagoland... The 350 Green chargers that were at issue include a good number of CHAdeMO DC Level 3 chargers that can charge at a rate of 100 miles/hour. I believe there are 4 in the Chicagoland area located in the toll plazas... As Tesla has announced forthcoming availability of a CHAdeMO adapter in Winter of this year (!!) we hopefully will get access to that network soon. Of course the decision could be appealed .. hopefully not though. The facts in favor of JNS (the buyer) seem pretty compelling. I would love to be able to Level 3 charge at the toll plazas.

Hello,
I am a journalist and we are looking to do a story on electric car enthusiasts/owners in Chicago. Would you be interested in participating or could you suggest someone who might be?
Thank you for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,
I am a journalist and we are looking to do a story on electric car enthusiasts/owners in Chicago. Would you be interested in participating or could you suggest someone who might be?
Thank you for your help!

Hello,
Thank you for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,
Thank you for your help!

Hey folks, be careful. There was a similar call for owners for a piece by a local TV station. Turns out, the focus of the piece was rich people buying expensive cars and getting rebates. Definitely put the Tesla in a poor light and embarrassed the people that went on record.

Seems like PhilBa was right on the money.
We were in touch ... she is Roza Kazan a Chicago based reporter with CCTV America?
Never heard of them.
She gave us 1 days notice and suggested she also filmed at a Tesla "store". Yet she'd not even asked them yet.
We confirmed to do it today, Saturday. Time was noon or 3pm. As I was preparing a contingency with a "nicer looking house" at a friend of mine with two S's and HPWC.
I spent 2-3 hours tidying up my garage and arranging things with him.
She texts me at 11pm to say she was canceling cause she'd found someone closer.
She'd never done a piece on EV's before.
Hope the other person doesn't get the same run around!