Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for commuting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have read the looong 2.5 tire thread and may have missed my answer (if so, I apologize), but I thought I'd throw this out there.

I just took a new position that will require about a 115 mile round-trip commute until we move (which probably won't be for 6-8 months). Since I love driving the Roadster (and it is the most economical car we own to drive) I plan to continue using it as my daily driver the majority of the time.

That means 95% of my next 15,000 to 20,000 miles will be on the interstate at 70mph (or so). I am willing to sacrifice some performance for comfort and noise reduction.

Anyone have recommendations of what they have/are using and like, or tried and didn't like?

Btw I have a 2.5 so tire learning shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks.

I'm using Michelin Super Pilot Sports and getting over 10k miles on them - before with the Yokohama's maybe 6-7K.

So I have read the looong 2.5 tire thread and may have missed my answer (if so, I apologize), but I thought I'd throw this out there.

I just took a new position that will require about a 115 mile round-trip commute until we move (which probably won't be for 6-8 months). Since I love driving the Roadster (and it is the most economical car we own to drive) I plan to continue using it as my daily driver the majority of the time.

That means 95% of my next 15,000 to 20,000 miles will be on the interstate at 70mph (or so). I am willing to sacrifice some performance for comfort and noise reduction.

Anyone have recommendations of what they have/are using and like, or tried and didn't like?

Btw I have a 2.5 so tire learning shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks.

Right now I'm running Toyo Proxes 4 (195 size) fronts and MPSS rears. I'm on track to get about 12k out of the rear tires - car is a daily driver w/ a 60-mile round-trip commute. I don't know that anyone's tried them so you would be a guinea pig here but you could try out the Toyo Proxes 4+. Based on their treadwear numbers you shuld expect 20k miles out of them but don't know how they'll handle on the Roadster.

I'm using Michelin Super Pilot Sports and getting over 10k miles on them - before with the Yokohama's maybe 6-7K.

Mitchelins here too... getting about 17k kms out of them. Better economy and good handling. Front Yokahama's are still good for another 20k kms and I am at about 50k kms on the clock. I drive about 120kms to 150kms every day. Those of us who commute in a Roadster are living the dream! :)

BTW I tried Bridgestone tyres last week and almost crashed. The car would not go in a straight line! Changed back to Mitchelins today and all is good again.

I use the Continental DWS tires as thier treadlife is better than the Michelin Super Sports. But I have been getting about 9000 miles which is MUCH better than the 4100 miles I got out of the Yokohama's.

How hard are you guys launching on these Yoko's? I pulled over 12,500 miles on my rear sets (AD07's). Have AD08s now back there, 20k on the Roadster and still plenty of meat. I don't hammer off the line all the time, I do launch it once in a while but I typically roll on the accelerator later. I also push the tires very hard on turns, my fronts are getting that rubbery roll like motorcycle slicks on the edges (not that intense but its rolling). Still my original ad07 fronts.

For me where I live I need the stickiness and confidence the AD07/08s offer since I do twisty turns on HWY 17 every commute day with zombie drivers both the left/fast and right slow. The right lane is the new fast / passing lane since nobody wants to get caught behind a semi truck... The 1st time you drive 17 its actually quite the experience, pretty intense.

Last edited:
I guess I launch hard. The car is just so much fun to show off. I have Michelin's on my truck with 55,000 miles so I am not normally hard on tires. But to be with the Continental's the car is a bit more balanced. If I push it hard it is still the fronts that break lose. The rears stick well enough for me.

I guess I launch hard. The car is just so much fun to show off. I have Michelin's on my truck with 55,000 miles so I am not normally hard on tires. But to be with the Continental's the car is a bit more balanced. If I push it hard it is still the fronts that break lose. The rears stick well enough for me.

I totally feel you with the fun factor. Only thing, which I'm sure you're aware, is that other people don't expect a car to jet off the line so fast :) So they'll pull out right in front of you... without even making a glance in your direction. I actually had that happen on the 1st test drive of my Roadster... luckily I use to ride GSR 750s and other sport bikes all the time (taught me to be very aware of your environment and speed), the owner told me to hammer it on this side road... I did the scan of cars, saw one way ahead of me as if he was going to pull out and what happened... I accelerated, he pulled out just as I had envisioned... and I planted the (crappy)brakes and decelerated in time (thanks to the regeneration acting so quick)... I really can't blame the guy! But I guess that experience just has been set in my mind so when I launch I'm pretty aware of my surroundings first and still anything can happen... When I do launch its usually for the hole shot into a safe space or to just "get away" from all the ICE's and Zombie drivers. One thing I really can't do without is having the Roadster warp me to a safety spot whenever I need it with agility.

Getting back to the thread, if you want better tire wear for long life I'd have your rear (negative) camber re-adusted so that the tires wear more even down the center rather than the inside edge. The rear is setup now for handling, hence the negative camber... I'm getting my Roadster re-aligned Thursday and may even ask for a little more aggression in turns. Again, reason being my safety and the majority of my commute that I depend on the Roadster to get my through are through very dangerous, twisty turns where anything can happen. Add rain to the mix and you'd really want things to hook up when a chain reaction goes bad in a turn... something that was out of your control. But if your driving straights, flatten the rear tires out, keep your tires inflated as MAX as possible before the tire sensors complain, and go from there. You'll be surprised how many miles you'll get off your tires from just that and conscious driving.

References:
"Camber angle alters the handling qualities of a particular suspension design; in particular, negative camber improves grip when cornering"
Camber angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Just thought I would follow up...

I took the advice I received here (and based on the other tire threads I read) and had new MPSSs installed on the rear this morning. (It was a little interesting dealing with my local non-Tesla dealer regarding NOT using a lift, but a picture of the Lotus that had fallen off the lift finally convinced them to use a floor jack).

Even though it was raining, my 60ish mile commute was MUCH quieter than the stock AD07s they replaced. I can't wait for it to dry out so I can flog them a little (and yes, I know they need 500 miles or so before they are broken in).