Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IQ2 Green Festival on Climate Change - Win a drive in a Tesla electric sports car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
I'm sure posting this will ruin my chances, but if you are in the UK...

The IQ2 Green Festival on Climate Change is a non-profit event which has attracted some of the foremost experts in the world to debate the most important topic of our age. The day-long series of debates will take place at the Royal Geographical Society on Sunday January 25.

Speakers include botanist and broadcaster, David Bellamy; Sir David King, Former Chief Scientific Adviser to the UK Government; Tony Juniper, special adviser to the Prince’s Rainforest Trust; Christine Loh, TIME Magazine Hero of the Environment and Dr Steve Koonin, Chief Scientist, BP.

Win a test drive in the new Tesla electric sports car - Competitions - Time Out

London mayor drives the Tesla Roadster, wants something else - AutoblogGreen

London Mayor test drives the Tesla Roadster

190109tesla450.jpg

During a preview of the IQ2 Green Festival, Johnson went for a test drive in a Roadster and it just enhanced his desire for an electric car, just not the Roadster. Johnson might not like the London congestion charge, but he does like EVs and told Tesla's UK sales and marketing director that, "What I really want is a people carrier." Cochrane replied, "You'll get one." Possibly, but not from Tesla Motors any time soon.

Hmm... Model S platform?

So I just got back from this - a very interesting day with some good discussion, ranging from debates on the reality of climate change and the urgency of action, through to what low CO2 technologies are available that can be employed both personally, nationally and internationally.

However, the highlight for me was getting a 20 minute drive in VP19 with Don Cochrane and a chance to take the car onto a faster main road than the usual London streets :biggrin: No photos or videos from me this time around - I was having too much fun - but then you all know what VP19 looks like (hint, it's the silver car above). The road in question was the A40, which I think is the same one that can be seen in the Robert Llewellyn and Damon Hill videos.

So what are my thoughts 6 months on?

1) This time around I knew what to expect, and felt very at home in the car. I'd be really happy using it on a daily basis and maybe it was because I had time to set up the mirrors, but I didn't feel that driving a LHD sports car in the UK was as daunting as perhaps it did last time (I'm used to LHD but not in something that low).

2) The car still puts a huge grin on my face when you get a chance to stand on it (just this time less expletives :smile:). I don't think I'd ever tire of this. A couple of foolish drivers made the mistake of trying to take me off the lights - I gave them a lesson in EV capabilities...

3) It was a typical wet Sunday in London. I gave the traction control some work to do, but it was so smooth in operation, only the flashing light on the dash and the ever so slight reduction in torque gave it away - none of that stuttering you get from an ICE car. Very impressive and controllable power.

So, second time round - do I still covet this car? Hell yeah :biggrin:

Kudos to Don for allowing me to get a little bit more representative run in the car this time AND for interrupting his lunch to take Khadine out for a spin. It was her first time behind the wheel and we had another Tesla Grin afterwards too :smile:.

Last edited:
Actually I was one of the 50 runners up that won tickets to the event. Luckily for us, I spoke with Don and swapped numbers earlier in the day and he called me to say there was a gap in the schedule. Otherwise I would have stepped aside and let others have a go (after all, with me they are somewhat preaching to the converted). What can I say, guess I was lucky twice? :smile:

So you still aren't a depositor, but you are getting to drive the car repeatedly?
How does that happen?

I might add that thanks to Ferdinand Motors I've driven the Roadster twice as well. Or I got the offer twice, I opted for a ride the first time around. So being nice, obviously being a diehard fan and hanging around on the drive days if there are any juice left they let "anyone" drive :)

Cobos