Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Timeout when Activated via Smartphone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but the closest I could find was a recognition that the HVAC will time out and shut off if it is turned on remotely via the app.

Does anyone know exactly how long the HVAC will remain on if remotely set?

I had heard 30 minutes....

Thanks. With the shore power support and winter coming, I'm trying to figure out when to start pre-heating the car. Half an hour's not bad. It seems my old ICE (with remote start) would shut down after something like 10 or 15 minutes. No point in turning it on too early only to have it shut down and cool off before I even come out!

I have a feeling it's considerably less than 30 minutes. The only way to be sure is to time it yourself while at home -- if a few of us do this, it'll increase the sample size, although you'd imagine this is a known value by Tesla (ownership might have the answer).

Personally, I've noticed that if I use the ios app to turn on the AC, often when I check in about 15 minutes later, the app shows the climate control is off. I'll test it directly in the next few days and report back....

30 minutes sounds about right, at least for heating.

I have seen some indications that it may switch off HVAC if the internal temperature stabilizes for a while. That may be much more likely to happen with air conditioning than with heating.

If it times out, can you immediately restart it again to have it run for another 30 minutes? In our two Fords you can remote start up to twice per hour, giving you of a maximum of 30 minutes running before it times out & then you cannot start the HVAC again for an hour. In the extreme cold we had in MN last weekend, 30 minutes of remote starting to precondition was not enough to warm up the cabin fully in our Focus Electric. Considering how cheap electricity is & how running the HVAC doesn't pollute like idling an ICE, I like to make extensive use of remote preconditioning. On the extremely cold days when I drive to work in our Fusion Energi instead of walking, I will maybe use 1 kWh for the round trip drive & another 3 kWh to preheat the car before leaving the office. One of the improvements of replacing our cars with a Model S that I would most appreciate is the added cabin preconditioning options available in the Model S app. Its functionality is way more advanced than what we have with our Fords, and our Fords are way more advanced than what is available with other EVs like the Leaf or the Volt.

About how long does it take to heat the HVB up after a cold-soak so that regen is not limited when you first start driving?

A long time. I have run back to back 30 minute shore power pre-heating sessions (25 F temperatures) and still had re-gen limited to around 30 kW. Personally, I don't care. I find that 10 minutes is more than enough to get the cabin toasty and if re-gen is limited I still know how to use the brake pedal.

What mknox said.

Don't waste your time preheating to heat up the battery--it's just not worth it. The pack has a huge heat capacity, and on cold days you'll be spending more than 30 minutes trying to heat it up.

The 30 minute timer is perfectly reasonable. I can get the cabin uncomfortably warm in about 10 minutes, even in cold temps.

The goal is not to have regen limited because of how it would change the driving experience when you lift off the brake pedal.

This is just me, a sample of one, but I'm now in my 4th winter with the Model S and have over 65,000 miles on the clock. For me, this reduced regen is absolutely a non-issue. I have had a few times when re-gen was reduced all the way to zero, and that is a bit freaky, but in no way dangerous (to me). I usually do pre-heat on shore power in the winter, but my goal is just to warm the cabin. This takes about 10 minutes, but does also provide a bit of pack heating such that I don't see the re-gen at zero very often.

I usually do pre-heat on shore power in the winter, but my goal is just to warm the cabin. This takes about 10 minutes, but does also provide a bit of pack heating such that I don't see the re-gen at zero very often.
This is my first winter, and a mild one to be sure, but I'm already getting to the same place -- limited regen is pretty much a given, and getting rid of zero regen isn't very difficult.

The two thing that surprised me most:
1) When temperature starts to affect regen -- I think I first remember seeing it at 12 degrees C in my car.
2) How often temperature can affect the high-end -- I've seen a surprising amount of alerts for what I imagined were either too cold or too hot.

But then again on #2 my MS broke today and limped to the SC on barely any power... so perhaps what I've been seeing is not typical... :confused: