Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended vs. regular Leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! New here and trying to finalize my order. I did a search but didn't find any pictures or good descriptions that show the differences between extended vs regular leather trim. I know that the top of the dash is covered in leather with the extended trim but what about the doors? How are those different? Anywhere else?

Any pictures you guys might have would be great! Thanks!

Hi everyone! New here and trying to finalize my order. I did a search but didn't find any pictures or good descriptions that show the differences between extended vs regular leather trim. I know that the top of the dash is covered in leather with the extended trim but what about the doors? How are those different? Anywhere else?

Pictures don't really show anything as they use a very high quality imitation leather in the cars that are not extended.

The differences are:

Color door sections are nappa

Center armrests are nappa.

Steering wheel center insert is nappa

Top of dash is nappa

Dash color wrapping is nappa.

I don't think the lower (always black) door sections are ever nappa but I would have to check.

Honestly the biggest difference it makes to the car is the feel but also significantly it gives the "all-over" leather smell. Which I personally love.

Pictures don't really show anything as they use a very high quality imitation leather in the cars that are not extended.

The differences are:

Color door sections are nappa

Center armrests are nappa.

Steering wheel center insert is nappa

Top of dash is nappa

Dash color wrapping is nappa.

I don't think the lower (always black) door sections are ever nappa but I would have to check.

Honestly the biggest difference it makes to the car is the feel but also significantly it gives the "all-over" leather smell. Which I personally love.

THANKS Studiojon! That was really helpful. I'm trying to configure a "budget" Model S and was torn as to whether or not I'd really notice the diff with extended or regular leather.

Have you driven a standard (non-extended leather)? Is it possible for you to see a MS with extended leather?

The standard Model S (non-extended leather) has molded, textured plastic in conspicuous areas such as the door panel and top of dash. IMO, Tesla made a mistake by using these materials in a "premium" vehicle.

With that said, the extended leather is a step in the right direction....and 2500.00 for extended Napa leather is a steal. I would love to see the entire driver zone in leather as an option (headliner, pillars, upper dash, lower dash, steering wheel, upper and lower door).

I would advise you to sit in each car if possible.

studiojon, I see you're getting your car tomorrow?!?!?!? lucky !@#$%!

Thanks for your help on this thread, helped me save $2500!

They brought it forward - I just got it TODAY. OMFG I can't even describe adequately how amazing it is to actually have it. So far everything on the car is working PERFECTLY. Including the GPS. Delivery was a breeze and totally on time to the minute. The car was immaculate.

You will not regret any decision you make regarding this vehicle. But just get what you want. Don't let anyone push you into anything. Go with what you yourself want. That's the beauty of being able to fully configure the car from the ground up and know that yours is built just for you.

Have you driven a standard (non-extended leather)? Is it possible for you to see a MS with extended leather?

The standard Model S (non-extended leather) has molded, textured plastic in conspicuous areas such as the door panel and top of dash. IMO, Tesla made a mistake by using these materials in a "premium" vehicle.

With that said, the extended leather is a step in the right direction....and 2500.00 for extended Napa leather is a steal. I would love to see the entire driver zone in leather as an option (headliner, pillars, upper dash, lower dash, steering wheel, upper and lower door).

I would advise you to sit in each car if possible.

Problem is that all the loner / test cars at the Fremont Tesla are the fully optioned out P85+ so those all have the extended leather.