Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sarasota to Miami Beach - roundtrip. How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip completed: Sarasota to Miami Beach - roundtrip.

In my 85. Any suggestions? I guess I can stop at Ft. Myers SC but will I be able to get from there to Miami Beach, and back again to Ft. Myers?

Last edited:
Hi Marty,

Welcome to the forums.

One of our Sarasota club members traveled directly from Sarasota to Miami before there were Superchargers. I believe he took Tamiami Trail to the Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel which has chargers.

It will be much easier for you. From your place in Sarasota its about 89 miles to the Fort Myers Supercharger. If you get a maximum charge of 265 miles at home, and travel at about 64 mph, you will have about 176 miles left. To regain those 89 miles will take less than 30 minutes. You will then have 265 miles of range to go 146 miles to the Fontainebleau.

The reason I mention 64 mph is that I find that if I drive at that speed, with the A/C on, I can achieve rated range. However, since you can top-off at Fort Myers you have the option of driving faster, and still reach your destination without any problems. You can easily do the speed limit or more and reach the hotel where you can top-off overnight.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

If its your intent to stay someplace in Miami Beach that doesn't have overnight charging, things can get a bit inconvenient waiting long durations at slow public chargers.

Larry

Thanks Larry. Yep, no way I'm doing an avg of 64 but I get the idea. I think I'll charge in FM, then wherever I stay in Miami Beach I will at least find a regular 110 to plug into overnight, giving me back 40 miles or so to get me back to FM. At least, in theory, that should work. Hard for me to believe Tesla has not thought Miami worthy of a SC station yet.

I'm loving my first 24 hrs with my S, for sure. This forum helps a lot, thanks again!

Thanks Larry. Yep, no way I'm doing an avg of 64 but I get the idea. I think I'll charge in FM, then wherever I stay in Miami Beach I will at least find a regular 110 to plug into overnight, giving me back 40 miles or so to get me back to FM. At least, in theory, that should work. Hard for me to believe Tesla has not thought Miami worthy of a SC station yet.

I'm loving my first 24 hrs with my S, for sure. This forum helps a lot, thanks again!

Marty,

I don't think that plan is going to work if your only getting 40 additional miles of range. A 110 volt outlet will give you around 2.5-3 mph of range. You are going to need at least a full 24 hours to get enough additional range even if you drive relatively slowly.

Let's say you leave Fort Myers with a maximum charge of 265 rated miles. Then if you drive at say an average of 70 mph, you are only going to get about 240 miles of range. You need about 300 miles to make the round trip from Fort Myers to Miami Beach and back. So if you only are adding about 40 miles to your 230 miles of range, it is likely you won't make the round trip. If you travel at 75 mph you are only going to get about 220 miles, at 80 mph only about 200 miles.

At 64 mph you might barely make it if you only added 40 miles with 110 volt charging for part of a day. You would need more than a day of charging to be assured of making the round trip even at slow speeds.

Larry

Ok, maybe that won't work. I see there's a Tesla store on Lincoln Rd, wouldn't I be able to charge there, in the rear?

Likely yes. But call in advance. And yes, the charger is at the rear of the store.

You might also consider stopping in Dania Beach to get a top-off before heading back to FM; again, call in advance.

Good advice.

Marty do you have dual on-board chargers? If so, you might be able to take advantage of a High Power Wall Connector and charge at about 60 mph if it available. At the Lincoln Road store there are lots of amenities that are in easy walking distance.

At Dania Beach the most you'll have in the way of amenities is the restroom and maybe a soft drink.

Larry

Thank you both. Lincoln Rd said no prob using their charger, just call them to make an appt. Also Whole Foods and a nearby garage has charging stations, too. So, it's road trip time.

Marty,

If you have dual on-board chargers you would be charging at about 60 mph at Lincoln Road on a High Power Wall Connector. At whole foods you will be lucky to get 20 mph.

Larry

Yes because I can attain under 300 Wh/mi in warm weather with the AC on and cruise control at 74.

I'm not sure how climate control works when in Range Mode. I generally like to set my temperature in the mid-60's and set the fan at a low speed to minimize fan noise. What ambient temperatures are you talking about and what temperature and fan settings did you have when cruising at 74 mph?

Larry

Ed,

Here's Tesla's chart of Battery Wh/mile vs Constant Speed under ideal conditions.

Model S Battery Wh per mile vs Constant Speed.jpg

Larry

I noticed what the temp is set to and what it's reading on my Telsa app can be 5-8 degrees apart, the app reading higher, always.

BTW I don't have dual chargers but since my family lives by Lincoln Rd. I know it well and can easily take my time charging almost anywhere near there. The people watching alone is worth the price of admission. St. Armand's Circle can't compete!

I noticed what the temp is set to and what it's reading on my Telsa app can be 5-8 degrees apart, the app reading higher, always.

Yes, most people note that the internal temperature as displayed on the Tesla application is consistently high. I once brought a digital thermometer into the car and the application was about 8 degrees too high.

BTW I don't have dual chargers but since my family lives by Lincoln Rd. I know it well and can easily take my time charging almost anywhere near there. The people watching alone is worth the price of admission. St. Armand's Circle can't compete!
I know what you mean. I visited the Store opening and I really enjoyed people watching especially since the pedestrian mall was open late.

Larry

Trip completed. I left Sarasota, stopped at Ft. Myers to charge up, made it to Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach, plugged in there. But that charger is dreadfully slow, only 10mph! Also, they charge a lot for this service $40 to Valet the car (even though you have to do it yourself) and .47kwh! So, I might suggest others use the Tesla store on Lincoln Rd (call first).
On the way back, stopped at Ft. Myers again, then home. Ft. Myers is in the middle of a shopping center, so food, bathrooms, shopping is all around. So are gawkers. It took me as long to answer questions as it did to charge! Be prepared! :)

Pano roof wind noise above 70mph is driving me crazy tho! Tesla says it's not an issue, but it IS an issue! Have to figure out how to fix that - fast.

Last edited: