Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I would strongly recommend against trying out SiriusXM

I would strongly recommend against trying out SiriusXM

Shortly after I picked up the Model S in February I subscribed to SiriusXM.

I figured it might not be as bad as everybody was saying and it may be novel to have. Yeah, I was wrong. The service is really is as awful as everybody makes it out to be. TuneIn and Slacker makes XM obsolete. I tried it out for 1 day and quit.

Here comes the fun part...

Since March I tried to cancel the service. I phoned them up in March to cancel, which they said they did, but then just ignored. They kept charging me. It was charged on a credit card that coincidentally was expiring in 2 months; I didn't want to go through cancelling again, so I just figured that once the card runs out they'll send me a few warnings, and then cancel the service.

Except, their "few warnings" is a phone call every few hours until they get hold of you. On the worse day (at that point) I have had 5 missed calls from them. I finally answered, and they complained about their bill, and I said I wanted to cancel (again). After running through their long script of retention strategies, they agreed fine, they'll cancel. But there was an outstanding balance, which I need to settle first... It was just a once-off thing.

Wary of them at this point, I gave them another credit card number that was about to expire. Sure enough, they charged the outstanding amount... and then promptly renewed the service again on my new credit card. I wasn’t going to deal with them again, so I figured this time I'll just ignore their calls until they give up.

Yeah, no. Of course the same thing happened, except their calls every few hours turned into hourly, then into every few minutes. Twice I would answer to just yell at them out of frustration. At one point I was in a meeting, they would call, I press "Don't answer", and they would immediately call back. In the scope of 30 minutes they called 8 times. I eventually was forced to leave the meeting to take the call.

Went through the same thing again, of course this time with a little bit more colorful language on my part, cancelled, and this time I was clever (or at least I thought so) - I asked them to send me a bill for the outstanding amount and I'll send them a check, so that they CAN'T automatically renew.

Except it didn’t work. The calls didn't stop. They would still call me a few times per day because of the outstanding amount. After answering and talking to them 3 times, and stating that THEY promised to send me a final bill, and I send them a check back, I finally had to ask to speak to the call center supervisor and threaten to sue them in order to leave me alone. Finally the calls stopped.

Aha! I beat the system. Hooray!

Or not... their bill for the check just arrived:

"By sending in a check or by filling in the payment information below, you are agreeing to the terms of our automatic renewal".
    VIN 4601 - Model S P85 - Pearl White - Black Leather - Gloss Obeche - Pano - Tech - Sound

Dispute the charge with the credit card company. Refuse to pay.

Blog Entries
    Because I disagree with the first few lines of your post, I wish they would fix the remainder of the points you make. It's just such atrocious business behavior to not treat customers better. Yea, they made few extra bucks off of you, but how many people won't subscribe and thus lose months or years of potential service to many customers.

While if one only ever listens to music then your comments about Slacker and Tune-in may be right (I disagree, but it's more opinion, I think the mixes on Slacker, for the most part, are repetitive and their library of selections is much smaller than XM), I'm a sports fan and the ability to listen to every Cardinals, Razorback and NFL game as well as National News channels and specialty music channels makes it worthwhile to me...but then I've never tried to cancel a subscription...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yea, but bolster that with exact dates, times and names of whom you spoke with, and exactly what was said/promised. Write a letter, and make sure to CC everyone you can think of.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

P2624, Delivered
    SiriusXM is the worst. Two years ago I stopped listening to their programming and I called to cancel. Their retention folks offered to discount the service more than 50%, if I stayed on, so I agreed. After receiving my Model S, I called to cancel, and their retention folks tried to make it appealing for me to renew. I told them I wouldn't take it for free, because the service was tied to a radio in a car I was selling. And that finally ended it. I asked them for confirmation of cancellation in writing. Good riddance.

Anyway, I'm much happier with Slacker in the Model S, and I don't lose signal near tall buildings or in parking garages.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Anyway, I'm much happier with Slacker in the Model S, and I don't lose signal near tall buildings or in parking garages.
    Interestingly, that's another reason I love XM...I live in an area, and regularly drive through areas, where 3G coverage is terrible. But I can get XM anywhere with the rare building or bridge blocking the signal. Even at my home the 3G signal is so poor that I can't consistently tune Slacker.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    I'm happy with the music on my thumb drive. Never cuts out, has what I want to listen to, and the only costs are the music and the drive.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    While if one only ever listens to music then your comments about Slacker and Tune-in may be right (I disagree, but it's more opinion, I think the mixes on Slacker, for the most part, are repetitive and their library of selections is much smaller than XM), I'm a sports fan and the ability to listen to every Cardinals, Razorback and NFL game as well as National News channels and specialty music channels makes it worthwhile to me...but then I've never tried to cancel a subscription...
    I agree slacker is repetitive. Tune-in however is not. And even Tune-In has a better audio quality than XM.

Either way, content is subjective. I'm sure XM has some stuff that you care about and I don't. I don't care about the Cardinals or any other basketball teams - I do listen to South African local cricket matches though, which XM doesn't carry, but Tune-in does.

But even if that wasn't the case, and XM has specific content you think you may care about, I would still not recommend subscribing to them to try it out.

Or at least, until you're very sure you want to have the service for life, use an anonymous burner debit card, blatantly lie about your name & address, and give them an ex's phone number.
    Last edited by deonb; 2013-09-21 at 03:03 PM.
    VIN 4601 - Model S P85 - Pearl White - Black Leather - Gloss Obeche - Pano - Tech - Sound

Sounds like AOL.....
    One notice of cancellation in writing.
    Always use AMEX (if you have one).
    Get AMEX a copy of the cancellation letter and tell them to let loose the dogs. If there is one thing AMEX is absolutely the best at it is hammering on vendors.
    P8911 ViN4288 85KW Silver Grey Obeche P85 21s Dual/Tech/Sound/Air Delivered 2/6/2013.
    P14936 Model S #2 14694 Red/Black/Black P85+ Dual Charger Solid Roof P+ 7/20 delivery.
    White/Tan S85 18201 ordered 7.26 delivered 9/2/12 (accident damage 12/12). Replacement White/Tan S85 delivered 3/5/14

HOLY CRAP!! I looked them up on Better Business Bureau and this one takes the cake of all companies I've ever searched for on there!! Usually I've seen a couple dozen, MAYBE a hundred complaints for a company once... but SiriusXM has 6987 complaints!!!! WOWW!! I've never seen so many complaints before for a company...this has got to be one of the most corrupt company's in existence!

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/bus...w-york-ny-9591

Name:  bbb_sirusxm.png
Views: 591
Size:  61.9 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    oh and this works. I do this every time I have an issue with something. I've never lost a dispute, ever. Credit card companies side with the customer 100% of the time unless the company can prove you wrong. It's kind of like that 'innocent until proven guilty' where you are the innocent one and they company that you are disputing has to prove you wrong.

so just call your credit company up and 1) dispute every single charge (you'll get ALL your money back). if you complain about the service that you didn't get what you paid for, you'll get every 100% back. also 2) ask if there is some sort of block you can place on them, or cancel your current card # and have them issue a new one but that's a hassle if you've got other automatic payments set up.
    P85. VIN05837. Mileage (05/13/14): 48,000mi, Black | Tan Leather | Perf Seats | Obeche Glossy | Pano | Tech | Sound Studio | Air | Spoiler | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | Fog | Extended Trim | Alcantara | Premium Lighting, Aftermkt: XPEL | 40/20% Tint | Lighted T | 19" Tsportline TST Grey Turbines | 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

They are the worst. Every car I've had, I never gave a credit card because it's auto renewal. Most compnsies are doing that these days.

NEVER subscribe to XM period.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. STAY AWAY!
    Last edited by NigelM; 2013-09-21 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Family friendly edit. :-)

Thread Information