Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based off the hint in the Tesla Supercharger Network thread, I went looking around Alamance Crossing in Burlington earlier today and shot a few photos. The site is on the edge of the lot between Dillard's and the movie theater. It's fenced off at the moment, it looks like they've got the transformer pad and conduit for the charger racks in, but not much else yet. You can see the Tesla logo on some of the crates they're using to cover the open trenches with though, so it's definitely going to be a Supercharger in a few weeks.

Photo Sep 21, 12 52 01 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 21, 12 51 12 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 21, 12 50 41 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 21, 12 52 31 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 21, 12 54 16 PM.jpg

(Edit: Mods, can you move this to Southeast instead of Mid-Atlantic?)

Last edited:
Swung by there early this morning as well, but haven't had a chance to sign onto the forums and upload photos until now... got close enough to verify the Tesla logo on crate sides they are using to cover up some of the areas around the conduit.

Images aren't the best, was there too early for decent lighting and had on a super-wide-angle lens, so a bit of distortion in some of the shots.

I'll be driving through again on Friday afternoon en route to Charlotte, have to see if anyone is still working when we go by to chat with.

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

Also--

I actually called ownership a few weeks ago about getting on some sort of notification list for the opening. I got the runaround about how they can't really talk about "unannounced locations." Seems that while the mall owners made an announcement, Tesla hasn't done so officially. But this was 2-3 weeks ago, so maybe that has changed.

I've watched this happen with several SC sites now. Typically SOMEONE here will get a notice of a ribbon cutting event, post it here, and then everyone knows :)

Just stay on top of the construction progress, and this thread, and you shouldn't miss the event.

Stopped by this afternoon while en route to Charlotte, although the workers had already departed by the time we got here after eating dinner at the nearby Cracker Barrel.

Looks like the recent progress includes placement of the transformer enclosure, trenching and temp marking for charger locations (labeled as 1A-4A and 1B-4B, with the usual of one pull-in charging location on the end and the rest back-in charging locations) and 3 Square D enclosures still wrapped up on pallets.

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2029.JPG

I had already made plans to visit the SC site today, but it looks like dflye beat me to it yesterday afternoon. :)

Oh well, posting pics anyway!

Looks like there will be 8 stalls. They have spots labeled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc up to 4B. No obvious work over the weekend from when dflye was there on Friday.

hGoy7Icl.jpg

PgCDoiSl.jpg

I think someone on the "Richmond VA Supercharger found" thread pointed this out already, but worth repeating. It looks like this one is nearly 200 miles from the Richmond, VA supercharger that was just found. Very much pushing the limits of a 60, but probably manageable for an 85 with little range anxiety. East coast is slowly but surely opening up...

View attachment 31709

Judging from the supercharger map on Tesla's site there appear to be two SCs going in on the 95 corridor in NC. One at what looks like Roanoke Rapids and one near Rocky Mount. It would be a little further out of the way for a 60 to come down 95 and then over if they were heading to Greensboro / Charlotte but would give them some range flexibility.

Thanks dflye (and Eggplant) for the reports and pics -- dflye I stole one of yours for the Recargo listing. Along with the Richmond site, this will provide ~200 mile spacing from South Carolina up to the northeast corridor. It appears that by the end of the October, Model S owners in Atlanta (we have HUNDREDS now) will be able to make it up I-85 with only a long stop in Greenville (where there are MANY Level2 stations). Once the SC site on I-85 in North Georgia goes in (expected in Commerce GA) then the long Greenville SC stop won't be required.

Stopped by this morning while vaguely in the area, was surprised to see a couple construction guys on site a bit before 8AM on a Saturday.

Progress since last visitor's pictures: appears that the frames of the charger pedestals are in place now, and from talking briefly with the one guy, they are working to get the 3 cabinets in their final location today (they were using the forklift when I was there to get them to the edge of the pavement)

IMG_2033.jpg