Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Night-time driving; Dash too bright, even at 0% setting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't found that to be the case and I've done several long distance night drives and about half of my city driving is at night.

In the city I find 5% to be about right and 0% in the country. I suppose you could put a cover (towel) over the 17" display. Unlike some cars, these displays don't reflect on the windshield.

Ditto what jerry33 said. Lots of night driving and don't have issues after 9 months. Maybe full screen your browser to an all black web page. I find a full screen nav image to be the best for nighttime driving on long distances.

The problem that I see with Tesla's approach to "screen brightness" is that all the slider is doing is changing the screen gamma - it is not changing the intensity of the backlight. Even if you have a totally "black" screen, all that is doing is throwing up black pixels without dimming the underlying backlight. So even a totally black screen will glow grey in the dark due to the backlight.

Tesla needs to dim the backlight.

Two Suggestions

- In settings, choose Night Mode, so your display stays in night mode all the time. This changes the overall look of the screen, swapping white for black.

- Set up the right-hand thumb wheel on the steering wheel so it controls screen brightness. I adjust it downward several times between sunset and night. Works better than Auto.

I've never found that I have to go darker than 30%.

Robert, it might also depend upon the content of things you're displaying. If you keep the Nav app open, it might be better at night if you turn off the Satellite view.

I would ask the Service Center about this. I know "too" bright is a personal taste thing. However, this isn't anything I've ever even considered to be a problem. I'm nowhere close to 0% at night and as a lifetime aviator including thousands of hours on night vision goggles in Special Ops, I'm very aware of night vision issues. Your car may have some kind of weird issue.

What do you usually have displayed on the touch screen while driving.

At night I usually have the back up camera displayed on top and music on the bottom of the screen. So because he night background for the music is black the screen is pretty dark for me.

I notice when I'm driving at night, and I set my dashboard lights to 0% brightness, that they're still quite bright. Anyone else notice this? Elon/techies; is there a solution/adjustment I can make to get a true 0% brightness on the dash?

Thanks, Robert:wink:

Yes, I noticed this right away and posted as such here 8 months ago. There's too much backlight bleed through on the panels Tesla uses.

My wife just bought a new Volvo that has an all glass cockpit, and the LCD screens they use for the instrument cluster and center screen have way better contrast and black levels. They're slightly anti reflective, so that's nice too. Oh, and the system runs Android so you can download other apps, including Waze. And the touch screen responsiveness is way faster, no lag when scrolling the web browser or using Google maps. Oh, and it takes any 4G or LTE USB dongle you want to supply, so faster networking too. Ok, so yeah I'm just a bit jealous.