Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions to Enhance Forums Experience and Few Space Saving Tips - Part 2

Which of the following Space Saving Tips you agree with?

• Link replies to the post. Indent the reply, it shows up below the post as a chain and not at the end

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Only one signature per page, un-click "Show Your Signature" in other posts on the same page

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Don't quote entire messages from the post and quote only important sentence or just use @username

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Don't include the copyright disclaimer in your signature

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Allow authority to the original poster/moderators to delete/reassign irrelevant replies

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Original poster should summarize the posts every 15 posts to keep the discussion on the right track

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aphysician

Member, Michigan Chapter
May 3, 2013
Metro Detroit, MI
Dear TMC members

TMC forums provides an excellent platform for Tesla enthusiasts to interact with each other and share ideas. The wealth of knowledge in TMC forums is unrivaled by any other Tesla related website. However that doesn't mean that we can't enhance the experience further. Recently moderators proposed few guidelines on signature to enhance forum experience, please see the link below for those. That started a discussion on space saving and how to enhance forum experience. Various folks depending on their background liked parts of the proposed guidelines. I feel signature is very personal and a way for fan to express themselves. Some guidelines are definitely necessary for quality control, however restricting it too much will be interpreted as restricting self-expression.

A matter this sensitive deserves a poll of members, this will help moderators to make an appropriate decision. You can select multiple options in the poll. This post was started in response to dsm363's suggestion, and I delegate all the responsibilities to him. Please see the link below for Part-1 of the poll.

Suggestions to Enhance Forums Experience and Few Space Saving Tips - Part 1

Guidelines for Post Signatures

Last edited:
@Mario
You bring up a valid point as well. May be a software feature, which just lets the user know that there is a new reply in a particular thread of linked replies. I agree though after 20 pages or so it becomes difficult to follow the thread, sometimes even discouraging looking at the number of posts. So I think summarizing, deleting and space saving can really improve the experience.

@joefee
Mods are doing a fantastic job, however if users know that by following a certain set of guidelines (not rules) they can improve the forum experience, then we all win. That's the only purpose of this post.

This post was started in response to dsm363's suggestion, and I delegate all the responsibilities to him.

This is your poll so I'm not sure what responsibilities for the poll you are delegating. I like the format we have here for following a conversation rather than the threaded conversations they have on other sites. Each thread serves the same purpose as what you want. If people start going in wildly different areas then that means they are off topic and a new thread should be started. Same as a threaded conversation you want just in this case, an entirely new thread is started.

Basically, you are asking people to quote when they reply which is good and to limit the quote to only the part they are referring to which is also good. All this can be done now without installing all new forum software. If you were not aware, you can jump to the post someone is quoting by clicking on the blue arrow next to the name within the quote. This takes you right to that post. Very easy.

The only enhancements I would like to see are:

1. The ability to select all the threads except a few. Right now I believe you can do the opposite: only read the threads you sign up for. The problem with this is that you have to keep looking to find new threads. I would like the default to be show unless marked otherwise.

2. Have all the posts come by email come rather than just a random selection the way they do now.