Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self driving cars: Tesla promises autopilot by 2016

Self driving cars: Tesla promises autopilot by 2016

Autonmous driving will get very important in a few years!!! There are uncountable advantages of it! Im really excited to see the progress and also how TESLA deals with it..

Very interesting video. The last part brings up something that I hadn't considered before. Autonomous delivery of everything from groceries to truckloads of cargo.

How much of a modern car or truck is devoted to driver/passenger room, safety and comfort? How small, light and efficient could a purpose-built delivery vehicle be if people were the only thing it couldn't carry? No crumple zones, no HVAC, no seats, etc. It would be the ground-based 4 wheeled version of a drone aircraft that can do amazing things because the pilot is no longer part of the equation. It could be small and light, but still have the speed to keep up with traffic.

Perhaps Elon/Tesla should devote a small group to begin design studies of a small (at first) totally autonomous cargo-only delivery vehicle to be ready if/when the systems have moved from the lab to the streets and proven to work without human backup.
    Last edited by K5ING; 2013-09-21 at 07:10 AM.
    I don't own a Tesla (yet), but I do own TSLA. Living vicariously through you guys in the meantime.

He (Musk) did mention interest in making trucks electric one time and with this autopilot team that hes making now theres a logical progression in that direction, were just witnessing history unfold, will be able to tell my grandkids when im old and grey - i was there when it was happening

K5ING, that is genius brother!

I think main things are parking assist, obstacle and pedestrian detection, and ACC. Complete self-driven cars IMO would too much because total auto-pilot would eliminate the taste of driving. IMO electronics has to help the driver in emergency situation and to improve comfort. The rest has to be left to the driver.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffy.Roma View Post
    I think main things are parking assist, obstacle and pedestrian detection, and ACC. Complete self-driven cars IMO would too much because total auto-pilot would eliminate the taste of driving. IMO electronics has to help the driver in emergency situation and to improve comfort. The rest has to be left to the driver.
    I'm thinking long-term, not short term. The totally autonomous vehicles I'm speaking of would come after the driver assist step, after the self driving door to door step, after the legal and insurance problems have been ironed out, and after the system is shown to be totally reliable. I'm thinking maybe 20 years down the road at a minimum. We're only at the first step now.
    I don't own a Tesla (yet), but I do own TSLA. Living vicariously through you guys in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
    I'm thinking maybe 20 years down the road at a minimum. We're only at the first step now.
    Agree. In fact complete auto pilot in three years would be impossible IMO. There are several steps to be done in advance. And in 20 years I wouldn't choice full autopilot for a car because I would lose the taste to drive. But I hope that in three years we will have parking assist, obstacle and pedestrian detection, blind spot detection and ACC for the Model S.
    Then I saw a movie of a car going to park to the garage alone (without driver inside). I wouldn't leave the responsability of my car to the electronics. What if an IC gets broken and somebody gets hurt? Electronics is good but always under control of the driver IMO.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    Self-driving cars will be a great boon to the elderly and disabled. They will be great for getting drunk drivers off the road. Unfortunately once they become safer than human drivers there will be people pushing to eliminate the dangerous human factors. Driving might become a thing of the past, or possibly restricted to special closed roads. I'm sure that day will eventually come.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Anyone heard of "Personal rapid transit" ?
    It resembels this a lot

Example is home | Ultra Global PRT

Thread Information