Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Gen III's Model X-like crossover

  1. #21
    Senior Member Grendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    The Rav4EV has much more potential than its sale numbers reflect. If Toyota actually wanted to sell it, they would sell very well. If Toyota did the following, the RAV4EV would easily outsell all other plugins:

    1. Replace the resistance heater with a heat pump (would give the vehicle a real world 100+ mile range in standard charge mode in all but the most extreme climates)
    2. Cut the price down to < $40,000. Toyota routinely offers rebates bringing the car down to this price, simply officially bring the car down to this price, and drastically more people will look at it. The $50k sticker price keeps away allot of buyers.
    3. Make it available to the entire country.
    4. Brag about the fact that it has Tesla internals.
    5. Add Level 3 Charging.
    6. Offer an optional leather interior.

    Even without these changes, if the Rav4 EV was available in Ohio, I would likely be driving one instead of a Volt right now.
    The biggest problem is that Toyota isn't interested in selling the Rav4 EV except as part of the ZEV compliance mandate. If they really were interested in selling the car they'd be seriously coming to Tesla and designing a vehicle that will sell like crazy with all the features you listed and more.

    And to bring it back on topic, this continues to give Tesla the positioning they need to really grab a big corner of the EV market. Nothing on the horizon looks to compete with the Gen III/Model E, and nothing looks to grab the G3X market either. Tesla will be ruling the EV world by 2020 with the big boys playing catch up.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28
    Model Y won't have falcon wing doors. The Model X is the mini van leaning crossover that hauls 7 passengers. While the Model Y will be the SUV leaning crossover that seats 5. It'll be sportier and have more off road features. As such it'll need the ability to attach items to the roof, hence no falcon wing doors. The Model X is the people hauler and therefor is designed around making that experience better. The Model Y will be the adventurer, so it's one or two unique features will revolve around that.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gatineau, Canada
    Posts
    11
    The article Audacious growth plans will stretch Tesla beyond its comfort zone by Automotive News mentions that the Gen III crossover is planned to be in production 18 months after the GEN III sedan. They put a production date of 2018.

    I never heard of any mention of a timeline (18 month after GEN III sedan) for the GEN III crossover before. The article does state 'Source: Tesla sources'. Interesting. I am trying to be realistic and was thinking more a production in 2020 but if it comes a little earlier than that's great!

    Still not sure if I will go for the GEN III sedan or crossover but if there are not that far apart I would prefer a AWD since likely the GEN III sedan will be RWD.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Grendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    The article Audacious growth plans will stretch Tesla beyond its comfort zone by Automotive News mentions that the Gen III crossover is planned to be in production 18 months after the GEN III sedan. They put a production date of 2018.

    I never heard of any mention of a timeline (18 month after GEN III sedan) for the GEN III crossover before. The article does state 'Source: Tesla sources'. Interesting. I am trying to be realistic and was thinking more a production in 2020 but if it comes a little earlier than that's great!

    Still not sure if I will go for the GEN III sedan or crossover but if there are not that far apart I would prefer a AWD since likely the GEN III sedan will be RWD.
    It would be nice if the Model Y came out 18 months after the Model E but I just can't see it happening logistically. It will take Tesla over 2 years to come out with the Model X since the production of the Model S began. Think about the work it will take to get the Model E up to full production. I'd go for 2+ years for the Model Y or 2019.
    2015 Tesla Model S - Would prefer a Model E, but I am unwilling to wait until 2017 to own a Tesla

  5. #25
    Member RobStark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendal View Post
    It would be nice if the Model Y came out 18 months after the Model E but I just can't see it happening logistically. It will take Tesla over 2 years to come out with the Model X since the production of the Model S began. Think about the work it will take to get the Model E up to full production. I'd go for 2+ years for the Model Y or 2019.
    Tesla will be a bigger company with more experience and more employees when making the Model Y as when making the Model X.

    They need to get more efficient and quicker.

    It took them five years to get out the first car.

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gatineau, Canada
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by RobStark View Post
    Tesla will be a bigger company with more experience and more employees when making the Model Y as when making the Model X.

    They need to get more efficient and quicker.

    It took them five years to get out the first car.
    I was thinking along the same lines. It could be a possibily that it would come in production 18 months after Model E since:
    -As you said, Tesla will have more resources (human and financial) which could mean a smaller team could start working on the model Y right away (once Model X is in production)
    -Telsa will have learn valuable leasons in the Model S to Model X in using the same plateform for a sedan to CUV
    -Tesla will be 'confortable' with AWD which was not the case going from Model S to X
    -Most likely no falcon doors which will remove some complexities

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. GEN III - When will we see the first prototype
    By gjunky in forum Future Cars
    Replies: 279
    Last Post: Yesterday, 12:27 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 03:26 PM
  3. Gen III or Gen IV Battery Rental Idea
    By sahanim in forum Future Cars
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 12:12 AM
  4. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM
  5. Gen III Crossover
    By AnOutsider in forum Future Cars
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •