Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood

I have the Obeche Matte wood and it looks great. No reflections and no fingerprints. I spend enough time cleaning the touchscreen.
    60kwh⚪Blue⚪Tan Interior⚪Obeche Matte Wood⚪19"wheels⚪Pano Roof⚪Tech⚪SC
    Reserved:11/12/2012⚪Finalized:1/31/13⚪Delivery email:4/27/13⚪Delivered:5/17/13

Banned
    I went with CF because it's sporty to match the P85+ look...

Quote Originally Posted by Ven Rala View Post
    I have the Obeche Matte wood and it looks great. No reflections and no fingerprints. I spend enough time cleaning the touchscreen.
    I'm trying to figure out how fingerprints get all over the gloss surfaces. Do people say "oooh, shiny" and, zombie-like, touch the finish? Other than the first few times in the car, I can't remember the last time I touched the trim.
    P1,491 - 85 kWh - multi-coat red, tan interior, obeche matte, black roof - air suspension, tech package - 19" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by dramsey View Post
    Look at this YouTube video about how Lexus makes their wood steering wheels. Starting at about the 3 minute mark, you'll see the paper thin wood sheets they use....

Designers must get frustrated.
    You look at the pencil paper designs at the beginning of teh video and they as smooth interiors with lines that flow into another. But the last frames that show the completed dash and center and it has all peppered with gearshift, phone, buttons knobs and all sorts of protrusions to ruin the flow. The Model S clearly tried to keep that "show car" look. (which explains the lack of storage and cupholders.)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how fingerprints get all over the gloss surfaces. Do people say "oooh, shiny" and, zombie-like, touch the finish? Other than the first few times in the car, I can't remember the last time I touched the trim.
    Yeah, I think you're right. People do a lot of oohhing and touching at the Tesla galleries, smudging the trim all up and that leads people to say "oh, that finish really shows fingerprints, I should go with another." But in real life no one ever touches the dash trim, so it's a non issue.
    Model S P85 VIN 03278 1/17/13. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model S P85D on order, ETA Dec. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    We love the lacewood... and especially love that we never have to clean fingerprints off of it!
    ^^^ same here

It also goes well with tan and grey interiors. I'm sure it would look good in a black interior too.
    VIN 03719. Brown, 60kWh, Tan interior, Lacewood, 21's. And absolutely perfect!!!

I love my obeche matte. Great feel to it. I fell in love with matte wood dashes when I had my CLS AMG. Had a loaner with carbon fiber and was not a fan. Felt cheap to me.

I have it on excellent authority. The interior trim is all veneer including the carbon fiber, it is laid on what they call substrate. I don't know what the substrate is made of but in due course I hope to find out. I have been promised a set so I can craft my own trim. Being right hand drive, it will take some time before I receive it.

It is routine for auto manufacturers to use veneer over laminate bonded to the substrate (e.g. aluminum). Even Bentley and Rolls Royce does this. Nice recent episode of How It's Made showing a Bentley GT:

iTunes - TV Shows - How It's Made: Dream Cars, Season 1
    Standard 85, no pano, air, tech, retrofit fog lights, twin chargers, 19", black leather, multi-coat ('CHP-arrest me') red, (body color roof), obeche wood gloss
    Test drive Menlo Park 2/2/13, reservation 18870 - 2/3/13, MVPA signed 2/11/13, VIN 09667 (4/26/13), Fremont factory tour & delivery 5/13/13.

Has anyone crafty attempted to source Obeche wood veneer and match the stain color? I am looking at the matte initially. It looks like a quartersawn veneer, with some dye stain, and a simple open-pore finish look with satin poly. Googling obeche veneer shows that this is kind of a trash wood.... used in plywood cores and to pretend to be other woods. Send me a PM and we can talk geeky woodworking stuff.
    P85 | Pearl White| Tan leather | Pano | Tech | Parking Sensors | Obeche Matte

Thread Information