Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Tesla-friendly MVD and 3rd Party MVD Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was digging through the other large AZ thread, but I thought this one might be more useful for quick reference. I took delivery of CPO Roadster on 8/9/2013 and got my registration paperwork last week. I had some trouble registering the car. I live in central Phoenix/midtown and went to 5 different 3rd party MVD's nearby. Two did not have alternative-fuel vehicle (AFV) plates. One claimed I needed a visual inspection from the AZ Dept of Environmental Quality. Two claimed I needed an emissions test. All had no clue about Teslas. You can imagine my attempts to explain the car has no emissions or tailpipe, etc.

Anyway, it was a colossal waste of time. Another new CPO Roadster owner close to me thankfully advised me of a location in Tempe where he successfully registered his Roadster. I went down there and was in and out in 20 minutes with no inspection and my AFV plate. Whew!

I thought it might be useful to list some MVD locations that are knowledgeable about Teslas to save some future owners some time and registration hassles. I ended up registering at:

ASAP Title Services
8729 S Kyrene Rd Tempe, AZ 85284
(480) 777-2891
NE corner of Kyrene and Warner

They will collect 5.6% sales tax based on purchase price of the car and accept cash or cashier's check only for that. The remaining minuscule AFV registration and 3rd party services fees can be paid by credit card, cash, check, etc.

Hope this helps future owners. Would others be willing list below Tesla knowledgeable/friendly MVD sites in the state where you successfully registered your Tesla for quick reference?

Surprising as it may seem, though it took awhile the regular DMV office in Prescott handled my registration efficiently enough, had the AF plates, and I was able to pay for everything with a credit card. Pretty impressive considering it was the first one they'd handled. Ask for Richard.

The Scottsdale ADOT Office has probably registered a hundred + Tesla's by now. I was in and out in 20 mins, lady said I was the 5th one she had done that week.

When I registered mine at the Scottsdale office in late June, the woman commented that they had registered so many recently that they had run out of the Alt Fuel plates a few days before. They were back in stock when I did mine though...

When you apply for a vanity alt fuel plate, you are charged the $125 registration fee all over again. After getting the vanity plate, can we then cancel the original MVD plate that was given to us at the time of registration? Or is the vanity plate linked to the original plate?

When you apply for a vanity alt fuel plate, you are charged the $125 registration fee all over again. After getting the vanity plate, can we then cancel the original MVD plate that was given to us at the time of registration? Or is the vanity plate linked to the original plate?

I don't see why it wouldn't work like regular plates -- basically they just charge the extra fees for a special plate or vanity plate. On a prior car, I switched from a regular to special plate a couple months after my regular renewal. I was just charged the incremental cost of the special plate...