Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford EVs by 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Detroit 2009: Ford ready to electrify the masses with EV car in 2012 [w/VIDEO] - AutoblogGreen

Detroit Auto Show: Ford Unveils Plan For Four Electric Cars By 2012 - Jalopnik

Ford-Electric-Strategy.jpg

ABG Quick Drive: Ford Focus EV mule [w/VIDEO] - AutoblogGreen

According to Autobloggreen, their plan is to make an EV based on their C-segment platform for 2011. The performance should be around the same as the current Focus (0-60 10 seconds), range around 100 miles, top speed 85-90.

Seems like they are quite serious about it.

Isn't this exactly what the EV-advocate-commuter has been screaming for? I did see somewhere (and I don't remember where) that the Ford EV's batteries alone would cost at least $20,000. Tack that on to the msrp of a Focus and you have a base of: $35,000. Is that a reasonable price that will sell?

This is exactly what EV purists are looking for. A short (100mile) range highway legal car. The zealots have said all along that that is all most people need. It also sounds like Ford is willing to educate buyers to this. Should be interesting to watch this grand experiment and if has the result that they have predicted.

Sidebar
What happens when the different makers start bashing the other types of EVs? Technology wars anew.

The article indicates Focus EV will have a 100-mile range and the holy grail for consumers is ~ 300-mile range. I tend to agree. While most people do drive < 100 miles/day there are those unplanned circumstances where a 200 or 300 mile range is ideal. Visiting my mother 40 miles away in NYC does not allow me to visit my sister who is another 20 miles. Neither would be able to provide charging. :biggrin:

But Iz are you sure you wouldn't be able to use the "quickish" charger at the local restaurant? A 2-3kW circuit is pretty cheap for a restaurant. You hand your car to the valet and for another 5 bucks you get an hour or two of charging. The Restaurant get's to keep you there for 2 hours eating a full meal, some dessert, a coffee, maybe another beer or drink etc. Sounds like a good option for everyone involved. Investment for restaurant, a few thousand bucks and they can advertise about their green policies...

This isn't very farfetched at all. And if this spreads a 100 mile range should be enough.

Cobos

This is exactly what EV purists are looking for. A short (100mile) range highway legal car. The zealots have said all along that that is all most people need. It also sounds like Ford is willing to educate buyers to this. Should be interesting to watch this grand experiment and if has the result that they have predicted.

Sidebar
What happens when the different makers start bashing the other types of EVs? Technology wars anew.

I think Ford is hedging here by offering both a PHEV and BEV, a BEV that is bare bones (and hopefully cheap). Why would it only offer one or the other?

I didn't see anything in the article regarding price. Any guesses? I would hope less than 30K.

When this story first hit the airwaives a Ford spokesperson said they couldn't do it for less than $20,000. But I don't have a source for the video. I think it'd be fantastic around $25,000 (less $7,500 in tax credits and you have a seriously cheap EV).