Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance for Model S is surprisingly low (for me at least)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I remember seeing a bunch of threads on insurance here. I wanted to share my experience. My current car arrangement is a 2013 ML350 and a 2011 Camry Hybrid. I am paying $2808 per year on both (or $1404 per six months). Swapping out the Model S-85 for the Camry next month, my insurance only went up very slightly. It now shows $3264 (or $1632 per six months). For a car that costs more than three times that of the Camry Hybrid when it was new, a modest increase of $228 (or $19 per month) is very good in my book.

+1 for State Farm for being way more Tesla-friendly than even GEICO and some others that I can name.

I had Kemper Direct (Unitrin, was Response Worldwide) for 2004 Chrysler Pacifica and 2005 VW Passat TDI Wagon for $1600 a year (in Florida). Switched to AARP Hartford and added my new Tesla S P85 for a three car policy for $1990 a year (with discount for paying for full year). Everyone else was quoting $2900 - $3400 per year for three vehicles. Very reasonable insurance rates for Tesla with one year term (not six months though it is an option) from AARP Hartford Auto Insurance.

You lucky bastards. For me the previous car (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X) had an annual rate of 920 eur / year, the Model S initial offer was 7800 eur / year, the second offer from a different insurance after haggling a bit was 4600 eur / year and then a third insurer (who initially said categorically no, but after I spoke to the risk management boss for an hour over the phone about the Model S they promised a quote) was 2300 eur / year. I'm going to call that a win and go with it. Afterall, the MS is 4x more expensive than the Evo X so paying 2.5x the insurance premium has to be a win (even though the Evo X is far overpriced in insurance because of what it is).

Mine went down $200/year compared to my range rover evoque which was half the price $@ 55k.

FWIW insurance on my P85 for 100/300/100 coverage is about $450/6mo.

However i am up for renewal in a few days and due to the large P85 price increase last month I think i am going to change my coverage to a 500 blanket policy. 100 just isn't enough now to replace my P85 since it when up about $15k.

It would be interesting to see if rates change (for the better) now that the crash safety ratings have been released, proving beyond a doubt that the MS is an ultra safe vehicle for passengers. This of course, is only one aspect of the multi-faceted insurance premium (a lot of which is based on other factors), so I wouldn't expect things to change by much.

It would be interesting to see if rates change (for the better) now that the crash safety ratings have been released, proving beyond a doubt that the MS is an ultra safe vehicle for passengers. This of course, is only one aspect of the multi-faceted insurance premium (a lot of which is based on other factors), so I wouldn't expect things to change by much.

That's been out for a while now--don't count on it.

Still get good rates anyways on Tesla.