Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla roadster owners can't charge at new free station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just got posted in the Dallas Business Journal:
Why Tesla roadster owners can't charge at new free station
Here is the link: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2013/09/16/tesla-roadster-owners-cant-charge-at.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-09-16

If a gas station offered free gasoline, just imagine the massive crowds that would flock there.
Then, you find out it’s not compatible with your vehicle.
That’s basically the situation that Scott Weber finds himself in. The Arlington computer programmer bought a Tesla Roadster in 2011, as he says, not because he’s “green” or a “tree hugger”, but “I’m buying this car because it’s cool.”
The car cost $130,000.
“It would be neat to be at trailblazer,” Weber said. “It would be neat to have a car that nobody else has. It was more the trailblazer thing than trying to be environmental or trying to save money.”
Last week, Tesla Motors opened a free charging station on Interstate 35 in Bellmead just north of Waco that only works on the newer Tesla Model S cars that have the supercharger feature. The stations are being installed around Texas and the country. It essentially “pours” direct current into the battery, allowing it to charge to 80 percent power in about 20 minutes.
Another station already is open on Interstate 35 in San Marcos with more to come along Interstate 45 and elsewhere.
The idea is that Tesla owners can take road trips across the country in a 100-percent electric car. Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk recently tweeted that he plans to take his Model S from Los Angeles to New York, a 3,200-mile trip in six days.
There’s only one problem for Weber: The charging stations are incompatible with Weber’s two-seat roadster, which can silently zoom to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds. The car only accepts alternating current like he has at his home charging station.
He and other Tesla owners who bought earlier models say they’ve pushed the Palo Alto-based company to set up standard AC stations so they can take advantage of the free charge as well.
After all, he says, they were the original “trailblazers” who helped make the company successful.
The Tesla website mentions that the AC connections are available at some sites and that some vehicles can be modified with supercharging capabilities.
Nicholas SakelarisStaff Writer-Dallas Business JournalEmail | LinkedIn | Twitter | Google+

There are many, many reasons to offer super charging for the Roaster, the most important is probably represented by this article. Brand Image. To build a successful brand, you can't throw your first model under the bus like that. The Roadster is sleek, sexy, and changed how the world thought about electric cars. Tesla's brand is built on that. Letting the Roadsters become obsolete will deal serious damage to the brand Tesla.

But Elon never has said anything other than 'something cool'. To the best of my knowledge, no one at Tesla has ever even hinted at Supercharger capabilities for the Roadster (though lord knows I'd love that).
I have strong memories of multiple occasions of Elon and others saying explicitly that it's a problem in a lack of support in the vehicle for Supercharging. Consequently, I'm curious where people are seeing anything official that would align with a required 180 on Elon's part.

- - - Updated - - -

There are many, many reasons to offer super charging for the Roaster, the most important is probably represented by this article. Brand Image. To build a successful brand, you can't throw your first model under the bus like that. The Roadster is sleek, sexy, and changed how the world thought about electric cars. Tesla's brand is built on that. Letting the Roadsters become obsolete will deal serious damage to the brand Tesla.
I wholeheartedly agree that no one should ever through a Roadster under a bus. For the record, I don't think they should throw the Top Gear folks under a bus either -- though sometimes it seems like that's what they deserve.

Now regarding the point that you were making, I'm not sure I agree. Speaking for the software industry, nobody on the planet wants any new features added to Internet Explorer 1 or Windows 1.0 at this point. Does that mean Microsoft is throwing Windows 1.0 under the bus? No.

How many millions of dollars would it take to develop and support supercharging for the Roadster? As much as I'd love it, I'd simply be thrilled with the ability to charge on an access controlled HPWC at the Supercharging locations (I realize there is no such thing as an access controlled HPWC). They could also put in ClipperCreek CS-100s but since the plug is J1172, it would be more likely to be blocked by another car attempting to use it. A conversion from Roadster plug to Model S plug would be required of course. That would allow the use of the $95 J1772 adapter though.

How many millions of dollars would it take to develop and support supercharging for the Roadster? As much as I'd love it, I'd simply be thrilled with the ability to charge on an access controlled HPWC at the Supercharging locations (I realize there is no such thing as an access controlled HPWC). They could also put in ClipperCreek CS-100s but since the plug is J1172, it would be more likely to be blocked by another car attempting to use it. A conversion from Roadster plug to Model S plug would be required of course. That would allow the use of the $95 J1772 adapter though.
Napkin calculation...
2,500 roadsters x $100k ... $250 million

If the overall cost comes anywhere near $250 million, just give every Roadster owner a $100K discount on a (supercharging enabled) next gen Roadster. Problem solved.

Roadster owners - how much would you be willing to pay for the hardware and software upgrade to allow Supercharger access? This could change your vehicle inlet, so it would make your old UMC useless as well. Upgrade may include a new Mobile Connector and J-1772 adapter. What total upgrade cost would be tolerable?

Roadster owners - how much would you be willing to pay for the hardware and software upgrade to allow Supercharger access? This could change your vehicle inlet, so it would make your old UMC useless as well. Upgrade may include a new Mobile Connector and J-1772 adapter. What total upgrade cost would be tolerable?

I would not pay anything as I am happy using the car for commuting to work & trips under 200 miles. If not too expensive I guess it would be neat if they included 70A chargers for Roadsters at the supercharger locations, but for me personally I think there are too few Roadsters to make it worth the expense.

I would be much more interested in a performance upgrade (lighter battery pack with same capacity and reworked electronics and / or motor for more acceleration). Get the 0 to 60 below 3 seconds and that would be great fun & increase the value of the cars massively. If with a new battery pack etc support was added for Superchargers then better still!

I am very skeptical of this. I am guessing that there would need to be new electronics dropped into the roadster to allow it to supercharge (ie, >25KW charge rate). A roadster HPWC at every SC would be a decent solution though not quite the same and probably less than $200K cost total including installation.

I thought Tesla had told us (and I don't own a Roadster), that there was insufficient cubic capacity within the Roadster frame to add the support electronics to make it SC compatible.
Then again, what support electronics, as you're BYPASSING the AC to DC converter?

I thought Tesla had told us (and I don't own a Roadster), that there was insufficient cubic capacity within the Roadster frame to add the support electronics to make it SC compatible.
Then again, what support electronics, as you're BYPASSING the AC to DC converter?
You'd need a high voltage / power DC junction box/contactor that would allow switching between the onboard charger and directly to the battery, replace the stock plug with a Model S plug, and presumably a logic board to handle the DC charging logic and integrate with existing electronics unless existing boards could be reprogrammed.

I'm happy with SC access for my Model S, whenever that eventually happens. I don't really need it for the Roadster.

For the Roadster, I'd rather have better motor cooling.

+1

I think there is zero chance of Roadsters being upgraded to allow superchargers. If by some miracle they did, and it was $10000 like I expect it would be - I would pass.

Other things ( besides better motor cooling ) I would rather have:
1) The Model S charge port on my Roadster
2) A fix to the 80amp bug for the Roadster
3) 80amp HPWCs at the supercharger stations for Roadsters

+1

I think there is zero chance of Roadsters being upgraded to allow superchargers. If by some miracle they did, and it was $10000 like I expect it would be - I would pass.

Other things ( besides better motor cooling ) I would rather have:
1) The Model S charge port on my Roadster
2) A fix to the 80amp bug for the Roadster
3) 80amp HPWCs at the supercharger stations for Roadsters

For the thousandth time. Elon has said publicly that the Roadster cannot Supercharge. Rich has it right.

1) Offer a Model S charge port on the Roadster
3) HPWCs at the supercharger stations for Roadsters
3a) Add a sign at those HPWC's at the Supercharger stations that says "Roadsters" (to keep the Models S' from plugging into them. At least many will never try and be disappointed in the speed if they do.

How about this Rich? A selfish Roadster owner suggestion to make the HPWCs only 70 amp?

For the thousandth time. Elon has said publicly that the Roadster cannot Supercharge. Rich has it right.

1) Offer a Model S charge port on the Roadster
3) HPWCs at the supercharger stations for Roadsters
3a) Add a sign at those HPWC's at the Supercharger stations that says "Roadsters" (to keep the Models S' from plugging into them. At least many will never try and be disappointed in the speed if they do.

How about this Rich? A selfish Roadster owner suggestion to make the HPWCs only 70 amp?

A few 70A J1772 EVSE's would not cost much at each Supercharger station, a small percentage.
  1. Upgrade them to 80A when the silly Roadster bug is fixed so a Roadster will accept an 80A J1772.
  2. Put in signage that establishes priority for these J1772 EVSE's as Roadster first, then waiting MS's, and other EV's last.
  3. This would service Roadsters well, give some charge to MS's if there is an overflow, and reaches out to other Ev's.