Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery replacement notice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received this email today from Tesla service in California. I like how it was worded and the proactive nature of it.
Has anyone else got it before? My car is a Canadian Sig that I got in December. It has about 19,000 Kms on it.
(About 12,000 miles)

Hello,

A recent vehicle log review indicated that the 12V battery installed in your Model S is nearing its end of life. As such, it may prevent the vehicle from loading firmware or in some cases prevent the vehicle from starting. The 12V battery needs to be replaced soon to eliminate any inconvenience that may occur from a lack of firmware updates or starting. At this point, you should have no concerns, we don’t want to alert you, we are proactively doing this to prevent any of the aforementioned items. We want to schedule a convenient time for you to come and get that battery switched out. The process takes roughly about 1.5 hours to change that out. We are currently booked up 3 weeks in advance, taking us to the third week of September. Please reach out to me via any means below so we can schedule you in.

I haven't got it before on my own car, but as I understand, the car will e-mail Tesla service when the 12v reaches a certain low state of charge threshold(even when the car is not located in a 3g service area).

I received this email today from Tesla service in California. I like how it was worded and the proactive nature of it.
Has anyone else got it before? My car is a Canadian Sig that I got in December. It has about 19,000 Kms on it.
(About 12,000 miles)

Hello,

A recent vehicle log review indicated that the 12V battery installed in your Model S is nearing its end of life. As such, it may prevent the vehicle from loading firmware or in some cases prevent the vehicle from starting. The 12V battery needs to be replaced soon to eliminate any inconvenience that may occur from a lack of firmware updates or starting. At this point, you should have no concerns, we don’t want to alert you, we are proactively doing this to prevent any of the aforementioned items. We want to schedule a convenient time for you to come and get that battery switched out. The process takes roughly about 1.5 hours to change that out. We are currently booked up 3 weeks in advance, taking us to the third week of September. Please reach out to me via any means below so we can schedule you in.

Yes, we received this notification, although it was by phone from the service center. They said our battery was showing signs of an upcoming failure and they sent a ranger out to replace it the same day. We had never had the 12V battery problem even though we have an early car and over 10k miles. Predictive maintenance...how cool is that?

I haven't got it before on my own car, but as I understand, the car will e-mail Tesla service when the 12v reaches a certain low state of charge threshold(even when the car is not located in a 3g service area).
I take it this is to prevent the whole bricking PR disaster with the Roadster (failed 12V is not the same as bricking, but it can mean a car that doesn't start).