Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging by Lewisburg PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

I just took delivery of my Model S. We are going on our first road trip to Lewisburg Pa. We live in Manhattan and have calculated a trip length of 188 miles. The issue isn't getting there, it's getting back. Is there anyone who knows a place to charge near Lewisburg? We probably need a full charge to get back. Thank you!

Model: P85

- John and Alex

I guess it's a small town. It's about 70 miles north of Harrisburg. I haven't tried carstations.com but the other sites I have tried. The only charger is either in an amusement park 20 or so miles east or25 miles north at a Nissan Dealership.
I am hoping to find an owner who would let us charge for a little while.

On another note, when I got the email from TMC saying I had been replied to, it read: "AnOutsider replied to your post."
I thought this was TMCs way of saying an unregistered user had replied.

Where in PA are you?

I guess it's a small town. It's about 70 miles north of Harrisburg. I haven't tried carstations.com but the other sites I have tried. The only charger is either in an amusement park 20 or so miles east or25 miles north at a Nissan Dealership.
I am hoping to find an owner who would let us charge for a little while.

On another note, when I got the email from TMC saying I had been replied to, it read: "AnOutsider replied to your post."
I thought this was TMCs way of saying an unregistered user had replied.

Where in PA are you?

I are ninja :)

Anywho, that park is probably Hershey. Not sure what your situation is or plans are, but I find that i can always kill a few hours at Hersey, so if you can as well, its a nice place to charge and kill time while doing so. You might also try plug share to find owners in that area.

I'm about 30-40 mins east of Hershey off 78, so if all else fails, I've got an extra hpwc you can top off on

Not sure what your situation is or plans are, but I find that i can always kill a few hours at Hersey, so if you can as well, its a nice place to charge and kill time while doing so. You might also try plug share to find owners in that area.

I'm about 30-40 mins east of Hershey off 78, so if all else fails, I've got an extra hpwc you can top off on

This is my trip "manifest": Google Docs - Online documents, spreadsheets, presentations, surveys, file storage and more

PlugShare is a godsend, so many residential chargers!

Now I see why the twin chargers are a good option :/

Let me know what you think.

That, sir, is pretty damned detailed! The good news is 78 is a straight shot. The bad news, at least for me, is that the average speed is pretty high and its pretty hilly. 360-380 wh/m is pretty likely for me n nice weather

Look for campgrounds. Ask for a 50 amp campsite. They are everywhere. You just need your mobile connector as long as they have a 50 amp rv plug, and almost all campgrounds do!

Best way to find campgrounds is at Allstays.com site.

Campgrounds in Pennsylvania with 50 Amp Sites

A 50 amp charges almost twice as fast as a J1772. I have stayed at some with fairly nice cabins and if you choose right you can be near a nice hike etc. Many will also let you charge for a fee for a few hours on your way to your final destination.

It's really between the two. Since most J1772 connectors at 30A are at just 208V, and NEMA 14-50 connectors usually provide the full 240V, it comes out to roughly 54% faster with the 50A service.
Um, no. Firstly I don't think it has anything to do with the connectors. Secondly it's about the service not the device.

I've seen J1772 as low as 192V and 14-50 as low as 203V in my travels. And I've only been at this for under a year.

Anyway, I disagree with your numbers but agree with your overall premise: I prefer 14-50 to J1772 when scouting reachable outlets from a charge efficiency perspective. Additionally, I prefer J1772 from a convenience perspective: their cable my adapter is faster than my cable from a logistics perspective.

Also, I'm looking forward to the 70+A J1772 that are starting to pop up thanks to the efforts of Jack and others.