Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Lawnmowers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
This one is robotic and Solar.

Husqvarna® Showcases New Automower? Solar Hybrid at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show

HUSQVARNA AUTOMOWER?

automower_2.png

I wish more people around here would use electric lawn mowers. They are almost silent. Down here in the suburbs of South Florida, every day someone on the block is cutting grass. Every afternoon I hear the roar of those gas powered engines. It's annoys the hell out of me! Almost everyone here hires lawn cutting service companies. They show up randomly. One day they came to mow the lawn of my neighbor across the street at 9:00am on Saturday! I went outside to tell them some nice words... Never saw them this early again.

• Disagree
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Ah, yes. Sucks, don't it? I feel pretty darned guilty about it, having a lawn service. But it was costing me 4 hours a weekend to do it myself with the electric equipment, and my time became too valuable. And yes, ours come Saturday morning (when the dogs are inside). Well, every other Saturday morning. Weekly is excessive.

Until the little robot lawnmower learns how to pick up dog poop, well...

Locally the Lowes store had/has a trade in program where you bring in a gas mower and they give cash towards an the electric mower.

Neuton.JPG

I read a whole bunch of differing reviews up the Neuton lawn mower and I'm not sure how good it is. Some people were saying that it didn't actually cut as good as a gas powered and that it did a poor job mulching. There was also the fact that it weighed just as much as a gas powered motor even though Neuton's commercial portrayed it as weighing less and being able to be lifted by one person easily.

Of course there are people that said it worked well and one person even said they had gotten a recall on a part and when they got the replacement part it seemed to work loads better. I looked up the reviews because I was interested in maybe getting an electric lawn mower, but I don't want to sacrifice the results of a gas mower and I really don't want to have to deal with a cord. I also would need it to probably last at least an hour and a half because that is about how long it takes me to cut my lawn.

I would love to get an electric lawn mower especially for the fact that I've read that gas mowers release more pollutants than an IC engine from a car. Maybe somebody will actually come out with a really good cordless electric lawn mower that is on par with gas mowers.

-Shark2k

I used a corded electric lawnmower for over 15 years. Yes, by the end of that 15 years, I had 3 extension cords with at least one "snake eating a rat" bulge in the middle.

But, overall, I much preferred having a cord - the lawnmower was far lighter that way, and I never had to worry about charging. I quickly learned that you have to start out with a neatly coiled cord, and mow parallel to the house, zagging away. A minor inconvenience compared to having to store gasoline in the house!

Yeah I like these electric sheep as well. They do have one big problem though... at least in Norway they are very expensive and since they are free roaming out on your lawn they are relatively easy to steal. And I'm pretty sure the insurance company wont like the not locked down part.

Cobos

They had a trade your mower program here for a while. Bring in your gas mower and get battery electric version for nearly free. Lowes was the swap site.

We went with a no mow lawn so never did that one.

I have a small patch of lawn, maybe 40ft.x40ft., mostly shaded, so it doesn't really need much mowing, maybe three times a year. I just whacked it down with a serrated hand scythe as an experiment, took about an hour. Not exactly a "manicured" lawn but I think it looks more natural in the woods. At least that's my justification :biggrin:

I was on a plane next to a Husqvarna engineer a while ago and talked to him about EV stuff.
He said that they had made designs and researched electric riding mowers but one thing that scared them off was the fact that many customers would leave them unplugged all winter long - without charging them after the final mow of the year. Making the batteries survive their customers scared them.
The seasonality of lawnmowing provides a huge challenge that an EV does not have.

I was on a plane next to a Husqvarna engineer a while ago and talked to him about EV stuff.
He said that they had made designs and researched electric riding mowers but one thing that scared them off was the fact that many customers would leave them unplugged all winter long - without charging them after the final mow of the year. Making the batteries survive their customers scared them.
The seasonality of lawnmowing provides a huge challenge that an EV does not have.

I don't see how that's any different than a gas powered mower which needs to be rebuilt each year as they never start the second year. Sounds like an excuse to me.

I can't say I've ever had a mower that only lasted one year, but I also don't think it's that hard to tell people you have to leave it plugged in over the winter, or at least leave it with a full charge. Most people do know that you can't leave batteries discharged for months on end and expect them to still be good. If they use lithium and prevent discharge below 20% DOD they should be fine anyway, as long as they don't have a BMS that keeps draining them....