Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing/Vibration at certain times - felt in steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys new member.

I tried using the search tool but haven't found anything that seems to reflect the issue I'm noticing.

At random times, sometimes even at a stop light, I can hear and feel a fast buzzing vibration from the front of the car through the steering wheel. Anyone ever see or hear this before? 2012 P85.

Hey guys new member.

I tried using the search tool but haven't found anything that seems to reflect the issue I'm noticing.

At random times, sometimes even at a stop light, I can hear and feel a fast buzzing vibration from the front of the car through the steering wheel. Anyone ever see or hear this before? 2012 P85.

I would guess that's either your AC compressor or your power steering pump. You should have service look at it.

Just called the service down here in Dania, FL. Service Manager said he assumes it's the AC compressor working extra hard in the FL heat. Next time it happens, turn OFF AC, see if the noise stops. If it does, I'm good. If it doesn't, bring it in.

One thing I'm just not used to in this car is how squirly it gets under full throttle. Maybe I'm just used to AWD Audi's.. but I find myself correcting the steering quite a bit to stay in a straight line.

Just called the service down here in Dania, FL. Service Manager said he assumes it's the AC compressor working extra hard in the FL heat. Next time it happens, turn OFF AC, see if the noise stops. If it does, I'm good. If it doesn't, bring it in.

One thing I'm just not used to in this car is how squirly it gets under full throttle. Maybe I'm just used to AWD Audi's.. but I find myself correcting the steering quite a bit to stay in a straight line.

That's where the + helps :cool:

What is the setting of your steering? I recall reading a post some time ago that the sport setting is squirrelly and that the standard setting is more stable especially at speed.

What is the setting of your steering? I recall reading a post some time ago that the sport setting is squirrelly and that the standard setting is more stable especially at speed.

I've been driving around in standard mode. I'm wheel shopping at the moment.. I think it's obvious that I missed the boat on the "+" on my P85.. but hoping some fat rears will help a bit.

I found a couple links with people running 285's in the rear.

The wheels I'm looking at are only offered in 20" and 22", not 21". 22" x 9" fronts, but 22" x 10.5 for rears going to fit? I'm getting my google work on, but not finding much

Have them check the torque your lug nuts. If they're below spec, that can cause the car to wander under hard acceleration. My car was more stable after I re-torqued them.

I got the vibration too. I also seemed to have a fairly loud ac, sometimes as loud or even louder than an ICE car's engine. Even the loaner I had was loud, but I don't think it was as loud. So, while my car was in for service today to have the fog lights put in, I asked if they cold look into how loud the ac was. In the report I got back with the car, they said they noticed it to and found the cause as the ac compressors lines were vibrating against the frunk tub when they weren't supposed to be. So they said they fixed that.

After getting it back, it still seems loud, but I'll give it some time. If it stays this way until the next time it needs service (maybe parking sensor retrofit?!) I might ask that they look again now that even they seem to agree that it is abnormal.

I'll have to see if their fix got rid of the vibration.

Almost certainly this is the AC unit up front. In some cases the coolant pipes were touching the steering shaft. I had mine checked for this very same issue. There's a couple of posts here on the forum that show a picture of this, btw. It's a known issue for the service centers now, as a few of the earlier cars rolled off the line with this.

I watched as they had my Frunk pulled out, and checked all the lines... There were just a couple of side lines that were touching the chassis without cushion. They fixed it and all is better.

For me it only showed up when the compressor was running at max.

Easy fix.

Edit: Keeping this on topic to the OP...
"Buzzing/Vibration at certain times - felt in steering wheel"

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmyz80
I have heard so many reasons why the P85 "wanders" or "floats" under hard acceleration. Everyone thinks they know the answer. But IMO I don't think anyone here actually knows the real answer. So far, this is what has been reported as why it "wanders":

1) improper torque on the lug nuts
2) bad bearing in your short link in the rear suspension, aka "wind wandering all the time"
3) "that's just the way it is ... deal with it or get the P85+ package"
4) that's the way air suspension feels. the standard suspension doesn't "float". the air suspension is "bouncier".
5) "sport setting is squirrelly and that the standard setting is more stable especially at speed." (that's the first I've heard this one...IMO I that comfort and standard makes it worse)
6) your tires are brand new and they are slippery
7) axle bolt (this may be the same as #2?)
8) tires are over-inflated causing it to grip less.

the terms I read most that people are describing this as are "wandering", "floating" or "floaty", "wind wandering", "squirrelly", "bounces left and right" or "bouncier".

just another thing to point out is that I also have this "wandering" and I have a P85 with 19" tires (I'm guessing most of you have the 21s). So I doubt its anything to do with the tire/wheel size at all. I think the most plausible explanation is #2. I'm taking my car in on Wednesday so we'll see if they figure it out and fix it.

Hey guys new member.

Ask the service center to implement these two TSBs if your car hasn't had them yet:
SB-12-18-011 Service bulletin on AC bracket and harness
SB-12-31-001 Service bulletin on rear axle nut washers

The first one improves the A/C compressor vibration issue. The second one may potentially improve the "squirrely under acceleration" problem. Also highly recommend to re-torque all the lug nuts.