Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless Door Entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keyless ignition and keyless doors unlocking are a no brainer. But what I am talking about is actually opening the door. :biggrin:

There is no handle to open the Tesla door.

Look at this dude. He has a key in one hand and there is no place to put it in the door!
(his other hand is on the rubber door switch) You pull it open with your fingers hooked on the bodywork.
thekeys1.jpg

No reason the Ford could not POP open with a key fob switch and grab the opening (except safety). :rolleyes:

Look at this dude. He has a key in one hand and there is no place to put it in the door!
(his other hand is on the rubber door switch) You pull it open with your fingers hooked on the bodywork.

Yep, and it wasn't even his car!

By the way there is a place for the key on the underside of the door as a sort of "emergency manual open" feature if the rubber switch is malfunctioning.
(check the owners manual, page 4-5!)

Oh, I see DaveD has beat me to it... Thanks, DaveD (and yellow sounds better every day! :wink:)

Last edited:
I am not talking about a place to put the key. I am talking about a place to put your hand. To physically open it. If it was automatically opened at the push of a button then you would need 4 buttons on the remote and passengers could NEVER open their own door. Plus there is a HUGE safety issue with all the doors opening with a button push. I think everyone missed my point entirely so I guess I must have said it incorrectly :rolleyes:

AND if all of the doors pop open and you are the only one getting in who is going to close all of the other doors. Closure can not be automatic for the same reason that windows and sunroofs can not close automatically - someone or something could still be in them including a child or someone's fingers.

I think we get your point, Kevin. I have a feeling this is one of those details which get overlooked in a concept car, but would obviously need to be sorted out to bring to market.

It is silly to have a car with no easy to open door handles, just as it was for the EV1 or Aptera concepts not to have windows which could open. I do not believe the side mirrors as cameras are legal in the U.S. (although perhaps in Europe where the car was planned). Ridiculous, non-practical concept car -- however, with enough good design that it would be interesting to see them try to make a real one.

Kevin I understand the point but I just want to (whine) that all of the problems have been solved before. My Infiniti windows close with a flick of a switch. They simply sense when there is an object in the way and go back (like an elevator door action).
There are many many SUVs and Vans with automatic closing doors. And the keyfobs typically have two buttons for doors and trunk. Multiple pushes (doubleclicks) activate different functions.

Push the button and the driver door pops open enough to grab the edge and finish the job. Or hold the button down and it automatically closes again. A double click (on my car) opens (unlocks) all the doors.

Those cameras look like something waiting to be broken.

And yes I read the manual and knew TEG was not going to get his pants dirty.