Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KPCB Startup To Improve Battery Energy Density By 300%!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joefee

May 29, 2011
WA
Just what we need for Gen3: Startup To Improve Battery Power By 300%!

Kleiner Perkins ( Partnering with great entrepreneurs to build the next big thing Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers ) has invested in a startup that partner John Doerr says will improve battery power by 300% compared to the usual 1-2% improvements that we normally see in the industry.

Doerr declined to name the startup, saying it was “still in stealth”, but he said that he has “seen it work in a lab,” and that the company points to “the biggest, the single most disruptive thing, the game changer” in the industry.

“If you can find a way to double or triple the energy density, then you need less stuff to make it and it weighs less,” he explained. If Doerr is correct and the company succeeds, the technology will have bigger ramifications for how devices, from phones to computers to much bigger machines, can operate. “My dream is that we can make electric vehicles cheaper than those powered by internal combustion,” Doerr noted.

Source:Kleiner Perkins Has Invested In A Stealth Startup To Improve Battery Power By 300%, Says Moores Law Is Running Out Of Steam | TechCrunch

Kleiner Perkins - and John Doerr - didn't get where they are by making too many of the "Ixnay on Musk - we'll go with Fisker" mistakes. If anyone brings out a tripling of energy density, kudos to them, and the whole world wins. Tesla included.

It's a good segment to listen to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsYT1rqW5w&noredirect=1

Unlike what the article above implies, in hindsight, Elon thinks he should have gone with Kleiner even if Ray Lane was going to be the board member. Obviously he didn't like the VantagePoint relationship.

I've dealt with VCs in the past and it always amazes me how some of them think they are God's gift to humanity and think nothing of burning bridges with entrepreneurs. As Elon says, at some point, the whole story will come out...

I'm skeptical. Every other there there is some new report on how a future tech will transform batteries and the amount of energy they store, but there is a huge leap between something that looks promising in the lab and something that can actually be manufactured easily in high volumes.

Anyway, the title should be "Improve Battery Energy Density By 300%", not Power. Power is not a problem with current battery technology. The problem with current battery technology is making batteries that hold enough energy in a small enough space, durable enough to last the life of car, stable enough to withstand being punctured without catastropic failure, while being cheap to manufacture.

I've dealt with VCs in the past and it always amazes me how some of them think they are God's gift to humanity and think nothing of burning bridges with entrepreneurs. As Elon says, at some point, the whole story will come out...

Quaere: What is it other than dollars that a good VC can bring to an entrepreneur? Do the best of them have -

1.The right synergistic contacts?
2. A bank of useful management consulting?

What else might there be?

As far as #1: I suppose if a VC specializes in one field, for example biotech, then this might apply. Not sure how many high-speed flying/rolling/hyperlooping - specializing VCs can be out there for our hero, though... I do not count a VC pairing up its client with investment banks or other investors - that is its raison d'etre.

As far as #2: In my experience, management consulting is a true travesty of a truly useless industry. But perhaps that's just my multi-decadal, multi-industry, multi-continental experience. YMMV.....

????

Common sense should tell you this is only a matter of time. We will see 1000+ mile range vehicles within the next decade. Once those start hitting the roads, and the charging infrastructure continues to rapidly grow as it is already, and the price comes down more, ICE vehicles will be phased out eventually. The revolution has already begun.