Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Service In Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canadian owners, how does the 3G service work? Is it included free of charge? Is there a free time period? Anyone know who the provider is? My car is scheduled to arrive soon and I'd like to know if there will be any surprises around using internet services or if I have to set anything up with a provider before hand.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but my searching couldn't find anything.

It is roaming, as indicated above, and we have seen ours roam in areas where only Telus is available, so it seems fairly unrestricted as to carrier. So service is actually better than US cars, because ours operate in the US, but theirs do not operate in Canada! All that will likely change in a few weeks or months when Tesla starts charging for the service, and we are stuck back with Canada's draconian wireless market. :eek:

It is roaming, as indicated above, and we have seen ours roam in areas where only Telus is available, so it seems fairly unrestricted as to carrier.

I pretty sure AT&T has roaming agreements with both Rogers and Telus. And since coverage on SSI can be spotty, my US AT&T phone will bounce between both when we're up there.

I'm hoping they offer a short term roaming option once the data plans become paid. We're still planning a drive up to BC (although next summer vs Christmas...)

It is roaming, as indicated above, and we have seen ours roam in areas where only Telus is available, so it seems fairly unrestricted as to carrier. So service is actually better than US cars, because ours operate in the US, but theirs do not operate in Canada! All that will likely change in a few weeks or months when Tesla starts charging for the service, and we are stuck back with Canada's draconian wireless market. :eek:

OT: I keep hoping that Verizon will enter the Canadian market. That will likely blow the doors off the ludicrous overcharging for US roaming. I'll jump to the first carrier that offers full US/Canada voice and data service at a fair price.

I took possession of my P85 2 days ago in Mississauga.
I asked when our free internet service will be cut off and the tesla rep said within the next 3-4 months.
packages are going to be offered through Rogers and I was told there will be 2 or 3 different data packages offered.
pricing will begin at $30 per month or so.

Emil.

I asked when our free internet service will be cut off and the tesla rep said within the next 3-4 months.
packages are going to be offered through Rogers and I was told there will be 2 or 3 different data packages offered.

Thanks for the info. I was also told "3 months" when I picked my car up 6 months ago :smile:

Different packages implies different data caps. I wish there was a way for me to tell how much data I'm using now, because I have no idea...

Emil.

eww. Hopefully that was just a guess.

For 30$/mo I could get a wifi hotspot from virgin with 3GB of data (or 5gig for 35$ from Fido). 30$ for the cheapest package seems expensive...