Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch wheel lug nut size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked and looked, and don't see a spec. The nut seems to measure 25mm (~1"), but I would like to know eaxctly, so I'll know what size of slim-walled impact socket to buy for my new torque wrench (yes, I know it is 130lbs to tighten).

You say it's not 21mm (which is the proper socket size), so does this mean you're looking for the widest point at the shoulder?

It might be simpler just to measure the width of the wheel's mounting hole and use it instead.

I keep a 13/16 inch deep impact 6 point socket in the car on a ~24 inch breaker bar. This socket is *sliiightly* snugger than a 21mm which results in a bit less nicking into the lug surfaces, but it does tend to stick slightly too.

Edit: Nicks MORE with the 13/16. 21mm is much better and leaves no scars. Always use a 6 point impact which is easier to purchase than a 6 point non-impact. Never use an impact air tool !!
--

Last edited:
I would recommend caution when using an impact wrench on these lug nuts. Unless the factory has upgraded them since February, these lug nuts have a pressed-on chrome foil coating that will wear through, unlike conventional chrome plating. (I'm surprised Tesla used these on a vehicle of this quality.) Use a breaker bar instead, and a protective nylon-lined socket.

I would recommend caution when using an impact wrench on these lug nuts.
Agreed, that is why I am using a torque wrench. it is very different than an impact wrench.

I figured out my problem: The plastic lug caps. I didn't realize they were NOT the lug heads. I pried them off to reveal the shiny chrome lugs. My thin-walled socket worked fine.

Socket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L23AIK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wrench: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KL4H80/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Yes, it is 21mm. ;) I removed the plastic cap on the lug nut to reveal the lug nut. I had no idea it was a cap!

Thanks for the help, guys.

Could you elaborate on how (what tools) you used to remove the plastic caps? I have 21" silver wheels which seem to have the caps. I've bought 19" Rial Lugano turbine wheels/Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 winter tire set that I plan to switch to for winter.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on how (what tools) you used to remove the plastic caps? I have 21" silver wheels which seem to have the caps. I've bought 19" Rial Lugano turbine wheels/Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 winter tire set that I plan to switch to for winter.
Thanks.

If you have silver wheels, I doubt you have the caps. I've only seem them on new gray wheel deliveries. The caps are black plastic (I pulled them off with my fingers--no tools required).