Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How long do the Battery Packs Last?

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    Tesla has said they will pre-sell replacement batteries; under that plan you would pay $12k for a new 85kWh battery in, I assume, 8 years.
    I find it odd that we haven't heard anything about this recently. Is it going the way of the panoramic roof sunshade?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
    I was not aware the 85 battery had an 8 year warranty unlimited. Is that any 85 or just the "P"? That's really good news. Thank you for the very informative post. I appreciate it.
    Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors
    60 kWh 85 kWh 85 kWh Performance
    8 year, 125,000 mile battery warranty 8 year, unlimited mile battery warranty 8 year, unlimited mile battery warranty
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
    I was not aware the 85 battery had an 8 year warranty unlimited. Is that any 85 or just the "P"? That's really good news. Thank you for the very informative post. I appreciate it.
    The warranty is against failure, not "normal" degradation (although I don't think Tesla has defined what is normal is and what is not).
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

Model S - R140
    As I mentioned in the other thread (to which Chad referred), I recently got a quote for a new 85kWh battery and it is over $46,000. Obviously it doesn't make sense for me to do this because it would be cheaper for me to sell in the car and buy a new one to effect a battery replacement. In 8 months I've had 9% degradation from my starting rated range and 6% degradation from advertised rated range. So, at least for me I'm not getting the kind of predicted numbers above. In reality, my degradation was all in 5-6 months, as I had absolutely no degradation for the first few months and then it suddenly dropped all at once.
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    I get asked this question all the time and I answer that the battery lasts until your daily range drops below your daily driving. A car with 500,000 miles on it may only show 140 miles of range in trip-mode (100%) after charging, but if you only drive 60 miles a day, it still meets your needs... I have heard small anecdotes here and there about test cars and mileage, but none of them are public. The closest thing we can go with is the Roadster study and the anecdotal evidence that is coming from the Model S community. Even the latter is influenced, though, by the changes in the way range is calculated from 3.x to 4.0 to 4.5 to 5.0. Imagine a day when the Model S battery can be charged in 5-10 minutes; when Superchargers are considerably wider-spread... maybe this whole range thing falls out of our vocabulary, like in the ICE world.

I'm coming up on 10 months and just passed 11,000 miles. On 5.0, after a trip charge, my car shows 260 miles of range (vs. the original 265). That's 1.9%. We know the first year is the toughest on batteries... seems pretty good to me.

(Quick note: some people are calculating from 270 or 272 or whatever they saw when they first received the car, but I don't do that because the range calculations changed in the last few software releases, even 5.0 I hear has some tweaks to it.)

P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i
    Quote Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
    I get asked this question all the time and I answer that the battery lasts until your daily range drops below your daily driving. A car with 500,000 miles on it may only show 140 miles of range in trip-mode (100%) after charging, but if you only drive 60 miles a day, it still meets your needs... I have heard small anecdotes here and there about test cars and mileage, but none of them are public. The closest thing we can go with is the Roadster study and the anecdotal evidence that is coming from the Model S community. Even the latter is influenced, though, by the changes in the way range is calculated from 3.x to 4.0 to 4.5 to 5.0. Imagine a day when the Model S battery can be charged in 5-10 minutes; when Superchargers are considerably wider-spread... maybe this whole range thing falls out of our vocabulary, like in the ICE world.

I'm coming up on 10 months and just passed 11,000 miles. On 5.0, after a trip charge, my car shows 260 miles of range. That's 1.9%. We know the first year is the toughest on batteries... seems pretty good to me.
    your car may have had a greater range when you took delivery, but the rated range on a range charge for a 85 is supposed to be 265 -- technically, you have no degradation.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by gaswalla View Post
    your car may have had a greater range when you took delivery, but the rated range on a range charge for a 85 is supposed to be 265 -- technically, you have no degradation.
    You caught me in the 15 seconds it took me between posting and editing, when I realized I put the wrong number in there... your quote caught the change though.

(I originally had 265 miles after trip charge, but it's 260.)

Model S - R140
    (Quick note: some people are calculating from 270 or 272 or whatever they saw when they first received the car, but I don't do that because the range calculations changed in the last few software releases, even 5.0 I hear has some tweaks to it.)
    By the way, that's why I quoted both (9% from my starting rated range - 273, and 6% from advertised - 265). Incidentally, my sudden drop happened in between s/w updates. I am at 250 now.
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

I'm coming up on 10 months and just passed 11,000 miles. On 5.0, after a trip charge, my car shows 260 miles of range (vs. the original 265). That's 1.9%. We know the first year is the toughest on batteries... seems pretty good to me.
    I'm at about 12,000 miles / 6 months and saw 260 miles of Rated Range on the one and only Range charge I've ever done (a month or so ago).
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

Quote Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
    As I mentioned in the other thread (to which Chad referred), I recently got a quote for a new 85kWh battery and it is over $46,000. Obviously it doesn't make sense for me to do this because it would be cheaper for me to sell in the car and buy a new one to effect a battery replacement. In 8 months I've had 9% degradation from my starting rated range and 6% degradation from advertised rated range. So, at least for me I'm not getting the kind of predicted numbers above. In reality, my degradation was all in 5-6 months, as I had absolutely no degradation for the first few months and then it suddenly dropped all at once.
    Your case is very weird. How many miles are you at right now?

Sig S#118; R#770 (ret.) stevezzzz's Avatar
    I'm at 14,000 miles in my S85 and get 262-264 rated miles on a Trip charge. I don't know what it was before, because I only used Trip charges in the last month.
    PLEASE NOTE: These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

Thread Information