Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Omni Richmond Hotel ClipperCreek charger (need twin chargers to take full advantage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped at the Omni Richmond VA hotel to charge on the way back from vacation in North Carolina. I arrived at about 4pm, with about 40 miles of charge left and about 170 miles to go. As another Model S was plugged in, and there’s only one plug, I had to wait a few hours for my turn.

When I plugged in I was shocked at the slow rate of charge. The charger (see photo) is Tesla-branded and supposedly functions the same as a HPWC. Not so. This charger should be an embarrassment to Tesla.

_DSC4008.JPG

_DSC4007.JPG

_DSC4004.JPG

How is it that the Tesla name is on this thing? It charged at a 24 mph rate (see photo), about the same as the low-grade 30 amp device a few miles away in the VCU parking lot. As a consequence my well-laid plans were turned upside down. I had to book a room at the hotel overnight to wait for the charge to reach the desired level. I’ll be leaving for home at 4am.

Whoever installed this thing apparently botched the job. I think Tesla needs to be much more careful about putting its brand on shoddy work.

My experience on this trip charging at RV parks has been much better. 50 amps every time and a 39 mph charge rate.

How many volts and amps? Maybe they picked a J1772 connector only rated at 30A.

The screen was saying 50 amps but it was not charging anywhere near that rate. It was also reading about 208 volts.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect it's not the charger, but how it is wired...probably 208v as many commercial facilities use.

That appears to be the case with this device. I think Tesla should cover or scratch its logo off this thing. 208v/30amps is way too common:)

208 volts means the hotel had 3 phase power, split off of that produces 208 volts. If it was single phase, it would be 240v, and charge about 5-8mph faster. That, and you did not mention if you had dual chargers on your vehicle. If you did not, you were charging at the maximum speed that a 40 amp 208v connection would be able to provide, regardless if the charger was setup for 70 amp or not. Now, their could have been a power supply issue---as in--- they did not have available power to be able to supply the charger with another 40-50 amps to allow the charger to draw up to 70.

Hey Artsci,

Is the charger showing that the full 70A is available but you have your cars charge current turned down? (GPS setting hiccup?). I have talked to others about that particular charger in the past and see on plugshare from others that that charger should be putting out 70A at about 205V.

Peter

Artsci, do you have dual chargers in your car? Your signature doesn't say that you do. If you don't then that is the max charge rate you would be able to charge at at 208v commercial power. If you had dual chargers, you would have been able to charge at a higher rate.

That charger is not a supercharger. It looks like a converted Roadster charger from back in the day.

Why did you think you would be able to get a higher charge rate?

How can you draw 50 amps from RV parks? The max the nema 14-50 adapter allows is 40 amps.

I've used that charger. It is indeed a 70A/208V stop and supplied my S with a charge rate of 41mi/hr.

So something has either changed with that charger, which I doubt, or for some reason your car was pulling less current. As others have asked, do you have dual chargers?

Artsci, do you have dual chargers in your car? Your signature doesn't say that you do. If you don't then that is the max charge rate you would be able to charge at at 208v commercial power. If you had dual chargers, you would have been able to charge at a higher rate.

That charger is not a supercharger. It looks like a converted Roadster charger from back in the day.

Why did you think you would be able to get a higher charge rate?

How can you draw 50 amps from RV parks? The max the nema 14-50 adapter allows is 40 amps.

I don't have dual chargers.

I don't have dual chargers.

I'm glad I got to this explanation. I was worried that this charger (which I've used happily a couple of times) had broken or something! I'm sorry it didn't do what you needed--that really bites, when you were hoping for 240 volts. ;-( But for those with dual chargers (i.e., 70 amps), it really is the best thing in the area (unless in use). Anyway, very sorry you had to learn the hard way that this charger's not what you're looking for.

(You may want to mark your original post with an update so someone just skimming will see what the issue was. Or not--up to you, of course.)