Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moderator overplaying power to manipulate posts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this will be deleted but I would encourage posters to review posts removed to snappiness section. Most do not seem, in my opinion to belong there. Although this is destined to end up there, if we don't provide feedback we get what we deserve. I am grateful for the time moderators spend on thankless task but do not want to limit free speech.

I don't recall any posts on this forum being deleted. Yes, there is some collateral damage in the snippiness section, sometimes this is because a particular post would make no sense standing alone but most likely because it's far quicker to move a range of posts than it is to move them one post at a time. As the unpaid moderators have other activities besides moderating, I just don't see any particular problem here.

My challenge: Show me a better (subjective) moderated forum and I'll provide constructive feedback.
Moderators own post indicates DELETED or removed to snipiness

- - - Updated - - -

I don't recall any posts on this forum being deleted. Yes, there is some collateral damage in the snippiness section, sometimes this is because a particular post would make no sense standing alone but most likely because it's far quicker to move a range of posts than it is to move them one post at a time. As the unpaid moderators have other activities besides moderating, I just don't see any particular problem here.
You should go to the snippy thread and read the posts. Almost none would get a first grader time out

My challenge: Show me a better (subjective) moderated forum and I'll provide constructive feedback.

This forum is very well moderated. If anything I would prefer it be even more tightly moderated, but couple times when off topic was becoming a huge problem for particular thread I PMed mods and threads were cleaned up. Sure ideally I would not had to PM anyone, but I understand it take a lot of time to watch everything and mods are just mere humans...

Mine 2 cents.

PS. For example this thread do not belong to investor section and should be moved to appropriate part of the forum...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Site-Feedback

Sorry, I disagree. It's not what sort of language you use, it's that nobody else wants to see a series of posts where two subjects are talking about each other rather than the subject of the thread. One post not about the subject of the thread is one thing, but when there are a series of posts that is very annoying to other readers.

By the way, these posts don't belong in snippiness, because they are are on topic to the subject of the thread, but the whole thread belongs in Site Feedback. I'm not sure why the discussion would have anything to do with investing.

I am grateful for the time moderators spend on thankless task but do not want to limit free speech.

Ok, this one irks me, and will always irk me. Always.

I'm going to say this just once: The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". It refers to the U.S. Government suppressing free speech.

YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO SPEW YOUR OPINION WHEREVER YOU WANT IN THE NAME OF "FREE SPEECH". Tesla Motors Club is a private entity and has the right to moderate in any way it wants. If that makes you butt-hurt, your only recourse is to build your own forum and compete.

* You do not have a right to post any crap you want here.
* You do not have a right to demand your words be put front and center.
* You do not have a right to demand a store sell your products.
* You do not have a right to enter someone's private property and do what you'd like.

Don't worry, plenty of uninformed people make this mistake. Joan Rivers claimed she had a First Amendment right to have her products sold at Costco:
Joan Rivers handcuffs First Amendment to shopping cart | First Amendment Center – news, commentary, analysis on free speech, press, religion, assembly, petition

I know this will be deleted but I would encourage posters to review posts removed to snappiness section. Most do not seem, in my opinion to belong there.
TMC is a fan site and you'll find anything negative will eventually be squashed... IMO it's probably best just to stick to less controversial subjects on TMC and support Tesla via other forums.

That said, you can have lots of fun with the reputation feature :wink:

This forum is over moderated and it makes the site borderline unusable at times, although I have seen some slight improvement over the past few months. It also puts overtones on Tesla owners as pretentious and controlling. Eventually someone will create a competitor and it will thrive as people move over, I've seen it happen before on other car forums.....

I know this will be deleted but I would encourage posters to review posts removed to snappiness section. Most do not seem, in my opinion to belong there. Although this is destined to end up there, if we don't provide feedback we get what we deserve. I am grateful for the time moderators spend on thankless task but do not want to limit free speech.

Why is this in the Tesla Investors section? You know this thread will be deleted? Threads are almost never deleted. How are posts manipulated exactly? If you mean threads, any posts that are moved to 'snippiness' are pointed to in the original thread. They are not deleted or hidden.

The snippiness thread was created to try and keep the noise level down. Someone says something like 'only losers listen to X kind of music' then someone else accuses them of something horrible and the first person insults their family...etc so those posts get moved when the thread is about something like the upgraded stereo. The official Tesla forums may more be your style as there is zero moderation there and threads do get deleted often from what I understand.

Last edited:
I have found this to be the best moderated forum that I participate in. The moderators are extremely responsive, very even handed (which at times must be incredibly hard, given what some people post here and how obnoxious some folks are... just remember to give negative reputation to them :) ) and appear to really aim for a civil and useful environment.
I had one of my posts held for moderation because I called a person who acted like an absolute jerk a... "jerk". One of the moderators contacted me and politely asked me to rephrase - I opted to delete the post instead since it didn't really add to a civil conversation on the topic at hand. On the flip side I have asked moderators for help with spam and with threads that were being pushed off topic or with creation of a wiki page and have found them bafflingly attentive and supportive. You'd think they are spending 20+ unpaid hours a day here on the forum.
So Thank You ​to the moderators and to the OP: I'm sorry you feel this way, but I think you'll find you are in a very small minority.

Edited to add: and yes, Nigel, moving this to "Site Feedback" seems like a very reasonable moderator act in this context. This has nothing to do with Investors Discussions.

Despite all the drivel I spew,

I've been snipped only once, as far as I know.

Therefore:

1. I ain't got no probbem wid da mods;

or

2. They're obviously not doing a very good job.

Sheesh! What's a poor mod to do? ;)

Maybe it's because your comments are funny enough to not be too offensive? :)
This is a tricky line to draw. Sometimes it's more of a squiggly doodle.

On a related note, this might be an interesting test of "overmoderation". Should this post be moved to the Grammar/Spelling thread when I point out that the OP spelled "snippiness" incorrectly as "snappiness"? Maybe. But what if I said the original post is mentally challenged for that misspelling? Well then definitely it should move to the snippiness thread. But what if I then claim that there's an authenticity flaw in the content of the OP, as he's posting a thread that he "know(s) ... will be deleted" and so it looks like he's just seeking attention and will probably cross-post to some tech blog saying "this is just how we do things there, and who cares if I'm misquoted for evil"?

It's really difficult to be a useful, effective moderator without making more than zero people unhappy. While they are human -- and sometimes draw the squiggly doodle "incorrectly" -- the overall job done by the TMC moderators is admirable and more than adequate.

Last edited: