Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clearcoat and Paint Thickness Measurements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a handle on the thickness of the clear coat for the Model S?

I just spent the last 20 minutes going around the car and measuring the thickness of the paint with a Nicetu coating thickness gauge and got anywhere from 65 to 75 microns (2.55 to 2.95 mils). I have no pano roof, and the thickness up there ranged from 85 to 105 microns (3.3 to 4.1 mils). Not a whole lot of room to work with; seems very thin. The gauge was calibrated with a 3% error.

What is the industry standard? What do other cars average?

Well, my wife's Subaru Outback (metallic grey) averaged about 140-150 microns (about 6 mils). I believe Toyota paints range in the 2.5-3 mils range. Just seems really thin for an upgraded paint. I am interested in the thickness of the multicoat paint as well. Problem with these thinner paints is that it limits the amount and frequency of the paint correction that can be done on them.

All the more reason to properly wash and get a protective coating on them.

Right now I have a Menzerna sealant topped with Collinite wax. Soon it will be layered with Gtechniq C1 & EXO. Another good alternative would be Xpel now that I think about how thin this paint is.

...lots of threads on the paint quality/softness (maybe due to the CA air quality rules and formulation of water based paint). FWIW, I got OptiCoat Pro and am very glad I did. Looks much better, sheds dirt, always looks great.

Joe at Orinda Auto Detail. Lots of experience with Model S, really seems to know his stuff. Took my 2 month old (and what I thought was immaculate well cared for) multi-coat red, got the small swirls and scratches out (took a full day of careful detailing including dismounting the wheels to clean/prep front & back) then did full OptiCoat Pro on body, wheels, glass, plastic, trim. He applies a heavier coat on 'impact areas'. Wish I did it sooner. And he wishes that he could get the S before the factory does their post-paint polish & detail. He is seeing more harm than good especially with the really soft paint.

[email protected]

Search these forums and also volkerize.com for his posts @ TM.

YMMV.

Resurrecting this thread.
Just ran a paint meter on a 2015 Tesla, and got completely different readings:

The readings around the car ranged from:
125 microns (micrometers) which is 5 mils (5 thousandths of an inch)
to:
250 microns (10 mils).

Does this seem normal?

I ask because the Original Poster said in 2013 that he read: "65 to 75 microns (2.55 to 2.95 mils). I have no pano roof, and the thickness up there ranged from 85 to 105 microns (3.3 to 4.1 mils)"

This seems like quite a difference.

The readings around the car ranged from:
125 microns (micrometers) which is 5 mils (5 thousandths of an inch)
to:
250 microns (10 mils).
Does this seem normal?
I ask because the Original Poster said in 2013 that he read: "65 to 75 microns (2.55 to 2.95 mils). I have no pano roof, and the thickness up there ranged from 85 to 105 microns (3.3 to 4.1 mils)"
This seems like quite a difference.

It's going to depend upon the quality of the paint thickness gauge. The thickness of the clear coat cannot be measured. However, the thickness of the clear coat + base coat + primer can be measured. On early model Teslas (not the multicoat red or pearl), the thickness does range from 75 microns to 115 microns (estimated), which puts it at 3-5 mils (roughly). Measurements of the hood and roof (not all panoramic sunroof models) as well as trunk are in the 100-115 range. When you get to the bottom of the doors near the rocker panels, the thickness is much less -- 75-90 on my car.

So, there is quite a difference in thickness within areas of the car and among vehicles as I've seen.

The margin of error for my reader is 3%.

Of course, some estimate the clear coat to be about 1/4-1/3 of that thickness, so that puts clear coat thickness in the range of 18-40 microns (over the entire car). Given the average polish job takes away a variable 2-3 microns, this may be 10% of the clear coat. A well maintained car polished on average 1-2 years with a light polish and a polishing pad may be OK. However, the more clear removed, the easier it will be to damage the base coat.

250 microns seems really high for a factory paint. Repaint, maybe.

What reader do you have?

Last edited:
Any updates on this from anyone? I detailed my 2015 Model S last week and had to use a fairly aggressive compound and pad combo (Chemical Guys V34 and a yellow heavy cutting pad) to get most of the swirls out. However, some areas of the car still have long straight line scratches and there’s still some swirls left. I’d be curious to see if anyone has done measurements before and after paint correction to see how much clear coat is taken off.