Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin hotels with good EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

redi

2013 P85+
Aug 31, 2013
DFW, TX
I have a trip to Austin planned next month from the Dallas area.

Any recommendations for hotels with good charging set-ups? I will probably have to stay downtown.

Also not having been to Austin recently, does the Tesla store and the Service Center have HPWC that you can get to and use after normal business hours or?

And hurray for the Bellmead SuperCharger - just in time.

Thanks (I could not find anything consolidated about Austin from searching the forum)

I think there is a thread on this already but am on my iPhone now. The Hilton downtown should (call first) but the Domain Gallery has two HPWCs and a NEMA 14-50 so bring your UMC too. Good luck.

There are several plugshare (http://www.plugshare.com/) J1772 30A chargers in downtown Austin. I don't know if you can pay with a credit card, so you might want to get a plugshare card.
They are Chargepoint chargers listed on Plugshare. You mean Chargepoint card- there is no such thing as a plugshare card.

Aloft hotel is across the street from the Domain parking garage where Tesla's chargers and 14-50 are. Also the Westin is within walking distance.

I would stay at the Domain and just go out in Downtown if you really wanted to. Domain is calmer, more charging options and you have everything you need right there. OH, and there's a Tesla store to stock up on Tesla gear :biggrin:

If you only need a few hours on a HPWC and don't require a $300/night hotel at the domain, can stay about a mile from the domain and enjoy a $100 meal and still come out ahead while charging at the Domain Tesla parking lot.

Making my first trip to Austin in the Tesla next weekend. My company only has 2 approved hotels in Austin. Neither showed up on recharging.com. Called both and luckily the Four Seasons said the could accommodate me. Not exactly sure what that means. Will let you know.

Making my first trip to Austin in the Tesla next weekend. My company only has 2 approved hotels in Austin. Neither showed up on recharging.com. Called both and luckily the Four Seasons said the could accommodate me. Not exactly sure what that means. Will let you know.

That would be nice if FS was on the 'company' hotel list :biggrin:

"Accommodate" = Translated at Four Season is, no problem plug in. Would you like the $50 charge to be cash or credit. LOL.

So what did "accommodate me" mean at the Four Seasons?

It was a J-1772 limited to 15 Amps. The first morning I didn't even have a full charge yet, but it was plenty for a hotel. The valet had driven a Model S before and as soon as I got out of the car said, "For a Tesla all I need is your adapter."

Austin Four Season's charger is a Leviton Evr-Green 160 (16 amp, J-1772) charger located in the garage right next to the entrance from the hotel, roped off with plastic chains with room for several vehicles. It's not locked up, but I suppose should seek the valet's assistance to use it, even though you can self-park in the garage if you want. I did not need a charge so I did not make use of it.

The Domain turned out to be handy but it was fairly busy in general (zoo) and with MS wanting a charge when I was there (I saw 5 while there for an hour). There were at least two HPWC (70 amps) and a 14-50. Said before, they are on level 2, one level below ground, in the garage across from the Tesla store.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 315
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 273
I just noticed this thread. I'm the Director of Operations at the Holiday Inn Express near the Austin airport. Hotel - Holiday Inn Express, Austin - TX, 78741
We have 3 Chargepoint stations installed right behind us, about 100ft behind the hotel. I have not tried them yet, but I assume they are 16-30amp max. I'll test it the next time I have the Model S there.
We also have a 30amp Siemens charger installed in our carport, but we use that to charge our Leaf Limo! You guys are welcome to use it for a quick top off if our Leaf is not using it.
I added the location to recargo.com and I'll post in the other thread as well.

Is the garage at the Domain open 24 hours/day? I'm planning a weekend trip to Austin and plan to stay at Aloft nearby and charge at the Domain overnight.

Austin Four Season's charger is a Leviton Evr-Green 160 (16 amp, J-1772) charger located in the garage right next to the entrance from the hotel, roped off with plastic chains with room for several vehicles. It's not locked up, but I suppose should seek the valet's assistance to use it, even though you can self-park in the garage if you want. I did not need a charge so I did not make use of it.

The Domain turned out to be handy but it was fairly busy in general (zoo) and with MS wanting a charge when I was there (I saw 5 while there for an hour). There were at least two HPWC (70 amps) and a 14-50. Said before, they are on level 2, one level below ground, in the garage across from the Tesla store.

Is the garage at the Domain open 24 hours/day? I'm planning a weekend trip to Austin and plan to stay at Aloft nearby and charge at the Domain overnight.

I think I would talk to the Tesla store to confirm since they might have several of their loaner/demo cars plugged in after hours. As you know, once the plug is locked in and everyone is gone for the day, your not going to have much luck trying to charge overnight. I think there is a 14-50 there in additon to the two HPWC, you might be able to deal with that after hours as long as other cars aren't blocking access.

It looks like my first post must have gotten deleted because of the hotel link I provided and my relation to the hotel. I'll be careful with this post.
You'll have to read between the lines of how I know all of this.

An option if staying near the Austin airport is the Holiday Inn Express next to Dennys. The office building behind the hotel recently installed 3 Chargepoint chargers. I haven't tried them, but I assume they are probably 30amp max. They are less than a 100ft from the back entrance into the hotel lobby. Another option if you're in a bind for a quick top off, is to ask the hotel to use their charger in the carport, which is a Siemens 30amp, IF their Leaf Limo shuttle is not using it. I've used it and it works well to get some extra mileage for piece of mind.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you get a chance, give someone of influence at the hotel this link: Destination Charging
Very Interesting! I wonder if they would help pay for the wiring costs as well, which are quite high for a commercial building in Austin with long runs.