Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Another) Hotels in MA that are charge friendly thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hank42

Legacy Supporter
Sep 30, 2012
United States - NY
I need to drive from NYC to Woburn/Lexington Mass Next week and stay overnight and return the next day. I can make it from the CT Supercharger just fine, but cannot make it back to the SC the next day(It's about 150 miles to Woburn from Milford).

I found One hotel in Lexington, but they are booked - Chargepoint/recargo/plugshare do not have a filter for hotels.

Can anyone suggest a place? I don't care about accommodations - just want to plug in over night to make the trip back to the SC.

I need to drive from NYC to Woburn/Lexington Mass Next week and stay overnight and return the next day. I can make it from the CT Supercharger just fine, but cannot make it back to the SC the next day(It's about 150 miles to Woburn from Milford).

I found One hotel in Lexington, but they are booked - Chargepoint/recargo/plugshare do not have a filter for hotels.

Can anyone suggest a place? I don't care about accommodations - just want to plug in over night to make the trip back to the SC.

I don't know about hotels with chargers, sorry, but if that doesn't pan out--or if you just want a backup plan (or like this as a primary one), why not call the Natick, MA store and the Watertown Service Center to see if either has an HPWC you could use? One or both may have a HPWC. Natick's on your way back and Watertown looks close(ish) to where you'll be. It's not perfect and it'll take time (yeah, I know, better to charge while sleeping!), but you wouldn't need a full charge, if you have an 85 at least (you don't say), to make it back to Milford and Supercharge for the rest of your return trip.

The main Qs are (a) do they have HPWCs, (b) when will you be by, and (c) will their chargers be available when you're there. Depending on whether you have single or twin chargers, and an 85 or 60 battery, it might take as little as an hour or as long as 4??? hours, depending.

Anyway, just a thought.

Natick does have 2 Model S HPWC's and 4 Nema 14-50's!

Was there last month driving Cliff from Reis Audio up to the Boston area from NY....

Aaron

You can see the 1 HPWC on left, 4 14-50's
2nd HPWC is cut off from the pic to the right.
IMG_1200.jpg

Thanks Guys - Good suggestions - I did'nt want to kill an hour or two on the return trip as it is going to be late as it is (8PMish) - would much rather have had a good charge from My origin in MA to make it to the CT superchargers. But this will work. Thanks!

There are a couple of hotels in downtown Boston with charging.
Yes, specifically the Charles Hotel in Cambridge, the Lenox Hotel in Boston's Back Bay, and the Boston Harbor Hotel at Rowe's Wharf. All are superb hotels (and costly). I noticed this new listing on PlugShare: Lincoln North, 55 Old Bedford Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
Two AWESOME outdoor easy-access EV Plugs by SemaConnect. 1 Tesla Plug, too. When entering the office park, immediately turn RIGHT & then the charging stations are immediately on the left. Obvious to find. WORKS GREAT!

What about Edison Way Parking Lot at 4 Grant St., Lexington, MA. It looks like it has two Chargepoints that're free, though I don't know how much parking is. But it's a public lot. Could you stay nearby and park there overnight?

Wow, thanks - missed that one - looks promising! I'll check their availability.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the suggestions - I did the math; and if I stop for 20 minutes at Darien SC and an hour at Natick on the way up and I do NOT charge overnight and charge for an hour on the way back at Natick, with a 20 minute stop at Milford CT SC, I'm good to go with room to spare.

--Update--
My trip has now turned into a 2 day overnight trip - which, well, with the vampire losses and in-town-woburn-travel, means I _need_ to charge overnight at a hotel. I seem to remember seeing a leaf charging at the Woburn hilton last I was there... I'm going to give them a call - they have a significant parking garage, I can't imagine them not having a suitable 220 outlet somewhere near the maintenance area.

From Chargepoint:

ELEMENT LEX / STATION #1
727 Marrett Rd, Lexington, Massachusetts 02421, United States
Port 1:
(120V, 16A, NEMA 5-20R)
Available
Port 2:
(208/240V, 30A, J1772)
In Use
Reservations Disabled
Station Price:
Free
Get Directions

There seem to be two Starwood Hotels there, Aloft and Element. Good luck!

In Cambridge in addition to the Charles there are the Marlowe and the Royal Sonesta, connected to and across the street from the Cambridgeside Galleria mall which has two Chargepoint J1772s in its parking garage. Free juice, but not free parking (maybe free for the Marlowe).

Last edited:
The Prudential Center in Back Bay, Boston has free charging and is convenient to a few hotels.
Many 99 Restaurants (not the one in Tilton, NH :) ) have chargers as well and may be convenient to a hotel in Woburn.

What about Edison Way Parking Lot at 4 Grant St., Lexington, MA. It looks like it has two Chargepoints that're free, though I don't know how much parking is. But it's a public lot. Could you stay nearby and park there overnight?
I seem to recall a 4-hour parking limit at that lot. BTW, don't believe that address! Access to the lot is off Mass Ave, just west of Grant St.

Natick does have 2 Model S HPWC's and 4 Nema 14-50's!

Was there last month driving Cliff from Reis Audio up to the Boston area from NY....

Aaron

You can see the 1 HPWC on left, 4 14-50's
2nd HPWC is cut off from the pic to the right.

It looks like they got rid of the Roadster HPC complete with Model S adapter. Is that true? I was planning on using it this week. Would have been nice if they'd kept at least one 70A Roadster charger. I'll have to use my Model S -> Roadster adapter. Does anyone know if they still have the Roadster HPC at the Colonnade Hotel?

yes, the 99 Restaurants are a good call - not within hotel distance for me :( the Element is a good call, just no vacancy this time :(

I'm in MA now, and for the Record, the Hilton Woburn is NOT EV FRIENDLY - in fact, the conversation I had with them indicated a little hostility - apparently they get asked this question more than not, and instead of responding to their customers, I got the following when I asked the front desk - who made a call to their facilities guy(who I did not speak to directly): "We researched adding some outlets and determined it would be a fire-hazard'. When I hear baloney like that, I really feel sad for the people that propagate these falsehoods. It wouldn't be so bad if they just claimed they don't have any plans to do so.

The Hilton reputation is damaged here for me - I won't stay there again, with or without my car. I'll just be sure to book at the Element ahead of time next time I'm here. :)

It looks like they got rid of the Roadster HPC complete with Model S adapter. Is that true? I was planning on using it this week. Would have been nice if they'd kept at least one 70A Roadster charger. I'll have to use my Model S -> Roadster adapter. Does anyone know if they still have the Roadster HPC at the Colonnade Hotel?

No Roadster chargers anymore at Natick -- 2 Model S HWPC 80 amps I'm assuming! 4 Nema 14-50's.

Aaron

yes, the 99 Restaurants are a good call - not within hotel distance for me :( the Element is a good call, just no vacancy this time :(

I'm in MA now, and for the Record, the Hilton Woburn is NOT EV FRIENDLY - in fact, the conversation I had with them indicated a little hostility - apparently they get asked this question more than not, and instead of responding to their customers, I got the following when I asked the front desk - who made a call to their facilities guy(who I did not speak to directly): "We researched adding some outlets and determined it would be a fire-hazard'. When I hear baloney like that, I really feel sad for the people that propagate these falsehoods. It wouldn't be so bad if they just claimed they don't have any plans to do so.

The Hilton reputation is damaged here for me - I won't stay there again, with or without my car. I'll just be sure to book at the Element ahead of time next time I'm here. :)

Hank, if you have dual chargers, I have a 75A J-1772 EVSE I use to charge my Model S, you are welcome to use it.. It's in Randolph, off RT28 I'm in Plugshare. There is also a 14-50 outside my garage, if I'm not home you could use as well (still better than a 30A public EVSE), LMK if you want to stop by and charge. Btw, there are also a few hotels in Randolph/Stoughton as well (though no charging)

Edit: ah, Hilton in Woburn, that's a bit of a hike to Randolph (30 miles?)

I spoke with the Natick store today 9/11/13. The said that you can only get 60 amps on their two HWPC chargers. Mall they said didn't expect the kind of demand for electricity.... I was told that they are working to have that improved.

When I stopped there to charge end of July the best I got was 40 amps. I do have twin chargers or at least I paid for them.

I spoke with the Natick store today 9/11/13. The said that you can only get 60 amps on their two HWPC chargers. Mall they said didn't expect the kind of demand for electricity.... I was told that they are working to have that improved.

When I stopped there to charge end of July the best I got was 40 amps. I do have twin chargers or at least I paid for them.

It's actually about time they dropped the amperage based on the install they did there, sadly. 200 amp main with 320 amps of demand. Oops.