Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Madison, WI Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Interesting...no canopy with solar? I know we're up here in the great white north but I assumed all the superchargers would have that feature.

Now if we (Roadsters) can just SOMEHOW get the ability to use them.

Last edited:
Interesting...no canopy with solar? I know we're up here in the great white north but I assumed all the superchargers would have that feature.

Now if we (Roasters) can just SOMEHOW get the ability to use them.
The way I heard it is first is the superchargers, then the solar, and finally the battery backup.
This may be separated by quite some time though.

I would hope they would focus the solar at stations with better solar gains.

The way I heard it is first is the superchargers, then the solar, and finally the battery backup.
This may be separated by quite some time though.

I would hope they would focus the solar at stations with better solar gains.

I would agree this makes the most sense. I haven't heard anything along these lines but I would guess states where Solar City has a presence and states they can get any discounts or tax credits in, will order the priority.

From the Tesla Motors forum (http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/fo...-confirmed-not-rumored-or-speculated…?page=14) someone posted a link to 31 pages of engineering plans for a supercharger station in East Towne Mall, Madison Wisconsin. http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/projects/reports/89etm_site2.pdf

Six superchargers is NO WAY going to be enough, Chicago has a ton of Model S owners probably itching to take them up north. Between all the lake activity's and vacation homes. I'm going to call it and say there will be a backup at this location. Maybe I'm wrong and they will stop for only 15min, or use Rockford. The 85's will have to do a full range charge to get to northern Wisconsin and block spaces in till the Wausau location is added.

And now there's the new Supercharger in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin (just over the Illinois border off I-94), due "before the end of the year." This means the first quick-charge big-city getaways for Chicago and Milwaukee owners.

This will be the first home-and-home Supercharger link for MLB and NFL fans in both cities. The Madison charger will create a home-and-home Big Ten Supercharger link between Madison, Evanston and Champaign -- and we could add Iowa City, West Lafayette, Bloomington, East Lansing, Minneapolis and Ann Arbor to the Big Ten Grid by the end of 2013.

Last edited:
While this is awesome, I believe it is in the wrong location for a initial roll out. Should be IN Milwaukee County, Southside (Yes, I know I live on the south side). Right now, with a 60kw pack, I can get all the way to Gary Indiana, have it parked for a few days with vampire losses, and still get all the way back to Milwaukee. If the charger was IN Milwaukee, You'd be better positioned to get to Green bay, and better position to top off after a Rockford Charge.

While studying the Supercharger Map. I cannot find anywhere near Pleasant Prairie, WI on the Supercharger roll out map. I am seriously hoping that they are not considering this the Milwaukee Supercharger. I do know the mall it will be placed at. Not far from me, about a 30 minute drive south, but I still cannot find anything close to it on the map. Maybe they are placing them in locations that are not on the map as well?????

Excellent, looks like we'll be able to get to Lake Geneva, Madison, Wisc Dells, and some other places with no concern now.....just hoping there's something north of Milwaukee so I can drive the Model S to Elkhart Lake for BRIC weekend and ALMS.

While studying the Supercharger Map. I cannot find anywhere near Pleasant Prairie, WI on the Supercharger roll out map. Maybe they are placing them in locations that are not on the map as well?????

The maps are not set in stone. Tesla has loosely stated before that they are technically only plans, and employees I've spoken with have outright said they are open to new suggestions. I gather than enough people from Chicago/Milwaukee complained that the direct route between them was not going to be covered. Yes, the distance is only 90 miles or so, but depending on where in/around either end your start/end point is, that already becomes too far for a 60kWh car to make (round trip) in a day. I would imagine they'll still place one somewhere north of Milwaukee on I-94. In fact, the 2014 map shows 3 between Milwaukee and Green Bay, which sounds excessive to me, but whatever.

Awesome, thanks! Looks like it was approved October 1. Six charging bays apparently.

I will stop at the mall in Madison Tomorrow and take some pictures for you all. Not sure if they have anything roped off yet, but will at least give everyone a look at "where" they will be going (in general). As of Today 11:45 amp October 11, 2013, their has been no change in Pleasant Prairie.

I look forward to seeing your pictures!

IMG_1651.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: