Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished having the HPWC installed. It was a little complicated because the house was built in 1929 and the panel was 100 feet away through underground conduit. Even though we could only use a 50 amp breaker I chose the HPWC anyway for 4 reasons:

1. The cord is 25 feet long, since the unit had to mounted on a wall in front of the car the extra 5 feet should make reaching the charging port a little easier.
  2. We only had to run 3 wires instead of 4.
  3. I can leave the mobile charger in the car and not worry about forgetting it.
  4. It looks cleaner.

Tesla-Charger.jpg

Now I just need my car to arrive!

Last edited:
Welcome, LASpark!

Those are the same reasons I will be getting a HPWC (especially #3).

In my case, I would also add cost as a reason for purchasing. The HPWC is only about 2/3 the price of a comparable J1772 charger (unless I want to build one myself). I am also hoping to use at least a 60-amp circuit.

Now I just need my car to arrive!

Actually, what you need to do is remove the cable holder and run the cable from the charger between it and the wall, as directed by the extra little sheet in your HPWC box.

This acts as a strain relief so that the connections in the HPWC never have to bear the weight of the cable.

If you look at the cable holder you'll see it has a groove in the back for this, so that the cable is clamped between the holder and whatever it's bolted to.

Actually, what you need to do is remove the cable holder and run the cable from the charger between it and the wall, as directed by the extra little sheet in your HPWC box.

This acts as a strain relief so that the connections in the HPWC never have to bear the weight of the cable.

If you look at the cable holder you'll see it has a groove in the back for this, so that the cable is clamped between the holder and whatever it's bolted to.

Just to add that unless they've changed the design of the cable holder, you will actually have to break little plastic clips in the back of the holder in order to slide it off the part which screws into the wall. I'm not sure if they've revised that. I broke mine on purpose in case I ever needed to move the holder before I installed it. I just used black electrician's tape to hold the holder onto the bracket after I screwed it onto the wall.

Just an FYI.

They had to replace the cable on my HPWC which required knocking the cable holder loose. It had enough give that it came apart without an issue. It *looks* the same as the one posted previously, and it looks as if those tabs must be broken, but mine managed to give such that we didn't have to replace it.

Yeah, my hanger locked up tight to the mounting bracket, no amount of whacking dislodged it. Fortunately, I hadn't actually mounted it so I was able to get it off. Best I can tell, the little tab is not really needed anyway as gravity and friction are pretty effective.

Any tips on the 8' cord installation? Does it come with a bracket for the cable as well or does the cable just drop down about 3.5' or so and then come back up to plug into the charger? If so, how far down does it hang and how wide is the 180 degree bend in the wire (trying to figure out if I can mount it on the wall between my two garage doors).