Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Row Cup Holders from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
Found this on the Shop Tesla Gear site. My apologies if someone already posted it. Can only be installed at a SC:

Add two cupholders to your Model S rear seats. Flush mounted, flexible cupholders are installed against the lower forward area of the second row seat, placing beverages within an arm's reach. The unique design features adjustable straps to carry various sized drinks, and folds completely flat when not in use. High quality leather construction adds additional utility for rear seat passengers while blending with the Model S interior. Available as a set of two.

This upgrade is only available as a Tesla Service installed option"

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/2nd-row-cupholder

cupholders_03_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I have never seen a cup holder solution like this. A simple leather strap. I wonder how effective this is? Seems like if one of my kids doesn't insert their cup correctly, it can pop put and spill. Also seems like it would be hard to have a drink that is frequently pulled up and put back in.

Interesting, but I will not be the first to order this. I will others experiment and see how it goes.

"against the lower forward area of the second row seat, placing beverages within an arm's reach."

The picture looks like it's just above the floor, no? That's not within arm's reach? Or am I (hopefully) misunderstanding.

"against the lower forward area of the second row seat, placing beverages within an arm's reach."

The picture looks like it's just above the floor, no? That's not within arm's reach? Or am I (hopefully) misunderstanding.

Looks like it. Similar to the Roadster cup holder. Base of the holder is the floor of the car.

My kids are long out of seats, but still young enough to be reckless. Imagine leaving a coke in one of these, then stepping out/back into the car. They will easily kick it over. Hell, I would likely kick it over. This may be good for a long trip and rare use. But then, how expensive will it be?

Yes for Toddler seats...

But most booster seats don't have cup holders. Our daughter has been in a booster seat for nearly 3 years now -- with another ~18 months to 42 months more to go (laws now require until age 8, but up to age 10 is recommended). Her boosters don't have cup holders...
There are some seats with cup holders built in, but those usually have difficulty fitting into some seats.
I can't imagine a 10-year-old using a booster. When the laws in California changed to 8 years, there was absolutely no data showing that this would provide added benefit.

The cup holders on those booster seats are crap. Too shallow for anything useful. So in fact they become cup spilling devices...
Our kids seats always had built in cupholders.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, it's about time they came up with something, it's been more than a year since Tesla asked us what we wanted! Just yesterday we stopped off at Starbucks on the way home and came out with 3 cups....where to put them? :cursing:

But most booster seats don't have cup holders. Our daughter has been in a booster seat for nearly 3 years now -- with another ~18 months to 42 months more to go (laws now require until age 8, but up to age 10 is recommended). Her boosters don't have cup holders...

[OT Alert]

Actually, most of them do have cupholders....here's a search on Amazon. One time we took a plane trip and forgot my daughters booster seat; quick stop at a Target right by the airport got us one with cupholders for <$17.

Actually, I have never seen a cup holder solution like this. A simple leather strap. I wonder how effective this is? Seems like if one of my kids doesn't insert their cup correctly, it can pop put and spill. Also seems like it would be hard to have a drink that is frequently pulled up and put back in.

Interesting, but I will not be the first to order this. I will others experiment and see how it goes.

Agreed. Solution doesn't seem great. Feels like a mod someone did in their garage.

In my Teslaccessories newsletter today, they're teasing their own version of this...since it was in a newsletter, I assume this is OK to repeat:

Rear cup holders. Along with a very talented partner, we will be able to offer a unique rear cup holder arrangement that provides two rear cup holders and still allows full use of the three rear seats. This unit will require a relatively straightforward DIY install, but can also be purchased and then installed by your local custom shop, if you so desire. We hope to have this product available by year’s end.

There were no pics in the newsletter, unfortunately.

I find the solution to be rather clever, though certainly not ideal. It's a relatively inexpensive (though perhaps not in the hands of the Tesla pricing folks) and unobtrusive addition. If you only have folks back there occasionally, then it's probably fine. I would not trust my 6 year old twins with this one though. Waiting for rear center console ... we rarely transport 5 people.